in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-19-2010 5:37 PM by BeoLorean. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-18-2010 5:11 PM

BeoSound 2 - MP3? WMA? and what quality?

Hi All

I am pondering a dilemma before archiving and transferring my audio collection to SD card for the BeoSound 2.

The BeoPlayer on the PC will rip WMA @ 192kbps max. It also says the copy quality to the BeoSound 2 is @192kbps.

Windows Media Player will rip in any format, any quality, including WMA @360kbps + and MP3 @360kbps. Or WMA lossless, to max.

If first I archive my music for general use, I am wondering whether or not use MP3 or WMA bearing the BeoSound 2 in mind. MP3 is apparently more versatile, but I am told that WMA is sometimes seen as better quality. At 360kbps theres probably not much in it, but if the BeoSound 2 reduces the compression to 192kbps, would the difference between MP3 and WMA be evident?

Or could Windows Media Player be used to both rip and copy tracks to the BeoSound 2 @360kbps, both MP3 or WMA?

In short what is the best compromise between archiving good quality music (with as much versatility as possible) and getting a high quality  audio transferred to the BeoSound 2? I'm guessing someones worked out the required method - I'd appreciate advice/opinions!

Also, can the BeoSound 2 cope with SD cards larger than 2GB?

Thanks!

D

Filed under:
  • 01-19-2010 4:16 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 2 - MP3? WMA? and what quality?

Personally I would archive at 360 and buy a new mp3 player that can play it. Otherwise in a few years you will have to re-archive it again. Which would be a pain.

• 01-19-2010 6:36 AM In reply to

I had similar queries when I bought a second-hand BS2 a few months ago. The first thing you'll have to contend with is that the BS2 cannot read SD cards over 2GB, so the amount of music you can get onto a single SD card is quite limited - particularly if you're used to having a large iPod or something similar. Not sure if the BS2 can handle anything of 198kbps as I have always encoded at this in mp3 format straight fromm iTunes as I have a Mac. The BS2 is getting long in the tooth nowadays!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-19-2010 2:00 PM In reply to

Hi, this will not help you but I sold my BeoSound 2 as soon as I bought my Serenata, the only audio player that can playback lossless wma files. The BeoSound 6 can play WMA upto 320 kbps, instead of 192 k for BeoSound 2. And yes, the max SD capacity on BS2 is 2 Gb, but at 192 k that means a lot of audio files already, and you can choose 133X cards with a much faster transfer rate that neither BeoSound 6 nor Serenata will ever reach. Downside is, you won't have artcovers, no display at all, but using BeoSound 2 is a real pleasure, it is so intuitive.

In theory, WMA offers same sound quality as MP3 with twice less compression rate, says Microsoft, so a 192 WMA file equals a 320 MP3 file ..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-19-2010 2:57 PM In reply to

My BS2 is now almost 6 years old and I still love it.

Over the years I have accumulated a variety of SD cards for the BS2 that all contain different tracks for different moods.

When I am travelling I carry them all with the BS2 in my briefcase and simply use like CDs burnt with a particular "playlist".

Similarly at home I can simply pop them into my BS4 when I want a particular "playlist" to run in the background.

What head-/ear- phones do you plan to use?

I like their lightness and compactness of the A8s but others use headphones for better reproduction.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-19-2010 5:37 PM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

In theory, WMA offers same sound quality as MP3 with twice less compression rate, says Microsoft, so a 192 WMA file equals a 320 MP3 file ..

Thank you Chrisreunion, that fixes one thing I've been trying to work out forever! So thats how the BeoSound 2 appears to play back great sounding audio with seemingly low bit rate! Thanks for the tips on card speed also. The BeoSound 2 truly is an intuitive piece, a pleasure to use.  I like not having to contend with screens and numerous categories of playlist - I like to be able to operate things with my eyes closed. Thats why I use it.

elephant:

My BS2 is now almost 6 years old and I still love it.

Over the years I have accumulated a variety of SD cards for the BS2 that all contain different tracks for different moods.

When I am travelling I carry them all with the BS2 in my briefcase and simply use like CDs burnt with a particular "playlist".

Similarly at home I can simply pop them into my BS4 when I want a particular "playlist" to run in the background.

What head-/ear- phones do you plan to use?

I like their lightness and compactness of the A8s but others use headphones for better reproduction.

You've got it right on elephant. I'll be making a set of cards. I don't have that much music and can put it all in a card set and it still be pocket size. As for the earphones, I have A8s but the main area of use in an automobile: my BeoSound 2 is custom fitted into a car, running off a power supply and connected via auxilary (through a 9000) to two BeoLab 3s. Its not wise to run the cd changer on the move, hence the BeoSound 2. I am more of a CD collector than mp3 archiver, but needs must, and I want to get it right! I've just been too busy to get round to it. I think I'll stick with 192 WMA so I can have the BeoSound 2 working at its best. I've never before had an issue with its actual playback quality - and now I have a better idea why.

Thanks all.

D

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)