in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-06-2010 1:50 PM by TripEnglish. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2010 3:42 AM

Double use for link room speakers?

Hola,

I was planning to use a pair of BL4000 in our spare bedroom on a link system.  This is straightforward. I was wondering if it's possible to also use it with my computer in that room?

• 01-03-2010 3:52 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Re: Double use for link room speakers?

If you have a beolink active a custom cable can be purchased that will connect from the computer.  Use PC on the Beo4 and it should work.  I use a similar connection.

goodluck, beoaus.

• 01-03-2010 4:48 AM In reply to

Cool thanks.  What kind of cable is it and where did you get it?  As far as I can tell, the active link system has ports for ML, a powerlink port, power, and a port for the IR eye. Is that right? I've never actually seen one in real life :-/

• 01-03-2010 5:37 AM In reply to

I think the Beolink Active is not the correct box, but you need a Beoport (formerly Beolink PC2). It works like a Beolink Active, but only when connected to a computer, otherwise it just does not work at all. p.
  • 01-03-2010 8:01 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

The beolink active will allow for sound out of the computer to the local speakers only. It only controls volume not track selection.

The beoport connects ML  to the computer so that music from the computer can be controlled via n.music. Mac's also work with some additional software.

Hope that helps... Beoaus.

• 01-04-2010 8:12 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

why not just use the line in and the PL, switch them back and forth as needed?

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 01-05-2010 2:48 AM In reply to

beoaus:

The beolink active will allow for sound out of the computer to the local speakers only. It only controls volume not track selection.

I am intrigued... how do you connect the computer to the Beolink active, there is no connection for it?

• 01-05-2010 8:09 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Ther are two types of BL active. The newer one, I think it`s called 1636, has a DIN input socket. You can connect the line out of your computer or any other audio device with line out to this stereo input. Will be activated by pressing PC on Beo4/5. The older one has two PL outs instead if I remember correctly.

Stefan

• 01-05-2010 6:12 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

The part number for the cable that connects from an audio source to the "PC input" port on the newer BL active is 0898126

Stan

• 01-05-2010 7:32 PM In reply to

Stan:

The part number for the cable that connects from an audio source to the "PC input" port on the newer BL active is 0898126

Stan

Is there any documentation on this? a User Guide? Reference Guide? 

The B&O site is abysmal, "Beolink Active" is two levels down, and says nothing about capabilities, connections, etc ........ 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-06-2010 6:36 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Is this possible with Beolink Passive as well?

Thanks for the new ideas!

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 01-06-2010 1:39 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

To my knowledge, there's no PC input port on the BL Passive so, no, this is only an option with the Active.

With respect to documentation, I believe, the port was added to the Active to support the BeoLink PC (the forerunner of the BeoLink PC2/BeoPort).  I think the manual may be on this site.  IIRC, in typical B&O fashion, it doesn't say much other than to "use the supplied cable to plug the computer into the Active's PC port", and select "PC" on the Beo4 to play.

And there's also this thread (where you can find the cable's part number, Keith's description of the different Active versions, and the pin connections of the actual cable):

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/15997/118815.aspx

This feature is very near and dear to me.  I'm not a big fan of B&O TVs (at least not until they decide to sell the BV8-40 in the US) so this feature (and a self-programmed Beo5) has allowed me to  "integrate" my beloved BeoLabs with non-Beo TVs.

Stan

• 01-06-2010 1:50 PM In reply to

Active Kit: Has an input for a local source. As mentioned, you access it by pressing PC. There is no control of attached device.

Passive Kit: No option for local sources

BeoPort: Modified Active Kit connects to PC or Mac and can stream content and issue basic commands such as track up & down, playlist up & down, and sort type

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)