in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-20-2009 10:07 AM by stefan. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-14-2009 3:30 AM

Beovision 10 and Bluray player

I've just got my new BV10, which I'm satisfied with so far!

However, many years with an Avant DVD has spoiled me I guess. I've bought a Pioneer LX52 BD player which can be controlled with the B&O remote, and the picture is great etc etc.

BUT, when you start the Pioneer player it says Pioneer over the entire 40" screen. The same happens when you change DVD etc. I managed to turn off the screen saver which turned on autoumatically after 1 minute of pause, stating Pioneer in different places on the screen, but this other function I can't turn off (I think).

It is really not satisfying to have it like this. It wouldn't be much better to have Bang & Olufsen all over the screen. It is not very tasteful. I would prefer to have an empty screen.

Is there any way to program the player not to brag about it's manufacturer? If not, are there any good BD players without this annoying function?

Thanks for your kind answers.

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 12-17-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision 10 and Bluray player

A more important issue has come to surfase after a few days use:

Bang & Olufsen has stated that they will not make their own BD players, only use other manufacturers and control them with beo4 and beo5.

After a few years with Avant DVD, you realise that this is not an ideal sollution, but the only alternative is BV7-40, and frankly I prefer the design of the BV10.

Here is the problem that has occured:

The Pioneer LX52 works fine with the BV10, but we cannot longer see movies on our MX4002 in the kitchen or the BV6 in the bedroom. The link doesn't work; no signal. It seems that the Pioneer can ony distribute one signal which you choose in the setup menu. If you choose HDMI the picture is great on the BV10, but the system cannot distribute the digital signals. If you choose analog signal through the video/phono utput you loose the great picture on the BV10, but then the link is ok, and you can watch DVDs in the link rooms.

The link needs analog signals, and it seems that the Pioneer player can't send both signals at the same time. It is extremely inconveniant if you have to go into the initial setup menu every time we shall see a movie somewhere else than our livingroom.

Surely Bang & olufsen must know this? Have we done something wrong? What do you others do? I really wish B&O would make a decent BD player.

• 12-17-2009 3:20 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

I was thinking about this the other day. All the talk on the BV10 being the new Avant, well how can it without a source in it - huh?! Hmm

I still assume the BV7 is of course the natural Avant replacement. However saying that it would have been nice to see B&O change the BeoCentre 2 to be BD just to keep up with the times.

• 12-17-2009 3:35 PM In reply to

Thavn, 

As a dealer I appreciate your desire to stay loyal to the brand. I agree that aggressive branding is unfortunate in many brands across the quality spectrum. 

However, the design of a self contained blu-ray player simply doesn't make sense for us. Surely you appreciate Bang & Olufsen as a brand that doesn't make something for the sake of filling a category. That means that a blu-ray player would have to be a serious undertaking on par with the development of any other product and result in a player that would likely cost a third of the price of your television. It would, of course, not satisfy anyone ("it's just a xxxx in a fancy box!") and would never sell enough units to justify its business case. Add to that the fact that digital video is becoming common at a rate sufficient to stamp out optical discs inside of 5 years and you have a losing proposition for us and our clients.

As for the linking issue, the new ML concept is designed to, among other things, handle the distribution of digital video so there will likely be an upgrade path that emerges for clients with a mixture of old and new products. We'll have to wait and see what that may be. There are also plenty of 3rd party options that work very well for the matrixing and distribution of video by brands like Key Digital, Atlona, Gefen, and others. 

Best of Luck.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-18-2009 5:56 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I don't buy that, if B&O have a strategy to zoom straight through and concentrate on digital video then why fit a Blueray player in the BV7?

If they can do that then why not do something similar with the BC2?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-18-2009 12:31 PM In reply to

TripEnglish. Thanks for your kind answer.

I still wish for a BD player completely compatible with all B&O equipment. Today my Pioneer is just almost compatible. The link issue is no problem at my brothers house where be has a BV7-40 mk IV and a link to a BV8-32.

A BD player in a BC2 wrapping would be wonderful!

• 12-20-2009 4:33 AM In reply to

Surely there must be many of you out there with BV9 (or other full hd panels) and BD player. How have you solved the link issue? This is one of the main arguments to buy Bang & Olufsen...

• 12-20-2009 10:07 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

As said in other threads I bought an LG BD 390 BD player. My BV7-40 MKIII has a DVD player And I didn`t want to spent >1000 Euro to upgrade to the inbuilt BD player, that is not able to decode DTS HD audio. The LG is able to send digital- and analogue video and audio simultaneously, so it also works in my linkrooms on my BV6-22 and my BC6-26. It can decode HD audio and is extremely fast in waking up from standby. Even the electronic curtain works. My LG is assigned as DVD2 in the connections menu and can be controlled via PUC. In addition to that it plays movies (MKV, avi...) from HDD and via network, has wireless network integrated and YouTube function, which is nice. Price: 240.- Euro.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)