in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-18-2009 3:17 PM by j0hnbarker. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-18-2009 10:16 AM

Thinking of purchasing a Beogram record deck. Which would be the best option (esp. compared to modern competitors)?

Hello everyone.

This is only my second post here and I'm on the lookout for a good turntable that will hopefully see me through various upgrades and - perhaps - reincarnations of my Hi-Fi system. At this moment, my system consists of the following:

• Philips Cineos DVP-9000S DVD/SACD player (this is a keeper, as I've made it regionless)
    • Audio Analogue Primo Settanta integrated amplifier
    • Klipsch RB-25 bookshelf speakers (the predecessors of the current RB-61)
    • Monster Cable Interlink 100 interconnects
    • Oxygen-Free copper speaker cables by a greek company named Roister

Now, to the matter at hand. I'm looking for a solid, good turntable that will sound at least as good as the digital source and will hopefully accompany me as my system changes for the better over the years. Of the current crop of non-B&O turntables, I've considered the following:

• Thorens TD-700
    • Thorens TD-295 Mk IV
    • Pro-Ject 2Xperience w/Speed Box
    • Dual CS-455

I know very well that, should I end up buying a Beogram, I might be "looking for trouble" as some people have told me, because they are no longer in production and because technical support for them here in Greece is somewhat hard to come by. This is a risk I've accepted, though, as I'm fully aware of the fact that most "technicians" here don't really know what they're doing and don't like their jobs anyway. Sorrry if I'm harsh on a number of "professionals", but I'm judging by the results I've seen from my personal experience.

I've heard various opinions on B&O's equipment. Some ridicule B&O products and go off saying they're practically worthless. Others are ecstatic. Others say they sound good, but are extremely expensive, especially when new. Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to form a personal, educated opinion, as I've never heard a B&O system play and - of course - I've never had the chance to A/B a B&O system with another manufacturer's.

I'm currently considering (and looking for) any of the following Beograms, hopefully in excellent condition (if one comes by):

• Beogram 4000 (my top choice so far)
    • Beogram 4002
    • Beogram 9000

I have, as is obvious, a preference to tangential-tracking units, without internal preamplification. This can be easily handled by a good external preamp like Musical Fidelity's X-LPS or Pro-Ject's Phono Box anyway. The thing is, I don't know how these turntables compare to the aforementioned players from the other manufacturers. I know they look stunning. I know the 400x series was groundbreaking. I know the 5005 series (of which the 9000 is a representative) is more cheaply-made. And I know where I can get cartridges for them. But, really, how do they measure up? If a Beogram turns out to be a nice choice for me, it'll be great, because in this case I'll end up having a nice-sounding and seriously fine-looking turntable in my system. Truth be told, I don't care much about having to scour the internet for technical information, spares etc - I drive a Lancia, which should say it all. Also, what prices should I expect?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

EDIT: I added a few phrases in blue color, as I deliberated a bit more on my original post and thought of another question I should ask.

• 12-18-2009 2:35 PM In reply to

Re: Thinking of purchasing a Beogram record deck. Which would be the best option (esp. compared to modern competitors)?

I am not completely convinced that the Beogram will be for you. Your present set up suggests that you are an audiophile and the Beogram does not lend itself easily to tweaking. The sound will be lacking very slightly compared the very best decks - record support is poor and you are limited eventually by the choice of cartridge.

If you are determined to buy one, the Beogram 4000 is the one to get. In your case, I would see if Frede at Classic audio will restore one for you. These are not simple decks and most engineers will not have the skill or patience to get one working perfectly. I wouldn't bother with the later decks - too lightweight. 

• 12-18-2009 2:49 PM In reply to

Re: Thinking of purchasing a Beogram record deck. Which would be the best option (esp. compared to modern competitors)?

Thank you very much for your response. I will continue my research on this matter, because there's this something that B&O's best turntables have that makes one consider them. Do you, by any chance, happen to have a link to Classic Audio?

• 12-18-2009 3:17 PM In reply to

epicurus:

Thank you very much for your response. I will continue my research on this matter, because there's this something that B&O's best turntables have that makes one consider them. Do you, by any chance, happen to have a link to Classic Audio?

http://www.beolab.dk/

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)