in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-30-2009 2:46 PM by Medogsfat. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2009 4:48 PM

TX-2 Turntable

I am new to Beoworld and I am bidding on the TX-2 turntable in good working condition.

Does anyone have a feeling for a good high $ amount I should pay?

It is currently at $250.00 USD

Thanks 

Balfadif

• 12-28-2009 4:57 PM In reply to

Re: TX-2 Turntable

A lot of it will hinge on the inclusion/condition of the cartridge... in your case, a MMC3... decent, middle of the pack cartridge, but nothing lasts forever and there was little comment made on its condition. If needing replaced... Soundsmith. It also appears that there are cleaning marks in the perspex, or at least, poor pics. ++++EDIT++++ the platter looks dirty!

How bad do you want it? At $300.00 I would start looking for other BG's! (you are at the level of a really nice 400x, but perhaps not a 4000 -if you can find one!) What do you intend connecting it to?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-28-2009 5:01 PM In reply to

I appreciate the help. I intend on hooking ot to a new Onkyo RC 180 with Martin Logan spealkers. What is a good cartridge and can you still buy them and at what price?

Thanks again

• 12-28-2009 5:09 PM In reply to

Does your Onkyo have an RIAA input for PHONO? If not, you will need to source an external amp -the TX2 definitely does not have one!

As you are in the states... take a look here for B&o authorized replacements.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-28-2009 5:33 PM In reply to

Yes it was one of the features that I wanted and it does have the RCA ports for Phono.

Thanks for the website. While I have you, what do you think of the 4002 turntable on ebay for $500 or best offer?

He has the orig box and says it is in good working order.

Thanks again

Art in Connecticut.

• 12-28-2009 5:33 PM In reply to

Lightweight late turntable without RIAA. Personally I wouldn't bother - the original TX is much heavier built but a 4000 type deck will hold its value better and will last. The advantage of the TX2 is that it uses the later cartridges. 

• 12-28-2009 5:40 PM In reply to

balfadif:
    Yes it was one of the features that I wanted and it does have the RCA ports for Phono.

Inputs... but is it amped? I looked at the specs... it seems to have EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink, but I saw no mention of RIAA???

I agree with Peter... I would lean towards a 400x table if you were only ever going to buy one B&o table! $500 seems strong on the surface for a 4002, I'll try to take a look.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-28-2009 5:53 PM In reply to

Boy, now I am confused.  If my RC 180 has the RCA ports for phono wouldn't that be the amp like the good old days in the

70s and 80s when I was into this big time?  What is RIAA?

Sorry to be a bother.

Art

• 12-28-2009 5:57 PM In reply to

balfadif:
    Boy, now I am confused. 

Me too! Laughing

I looked around again... nothing definitive, but don't let that be an issue, yet!

You have the Onkyo... You want a B&o table... The 4002 in question seems nice and complete w/ box, etc... price seems strong... anyone else?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-28-2009 6:06 PM In reply to

Pg. 37 In your Onkyo manual...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-28-2009 6:20 PM In reply to

I am going to throw a $ at the 4002 and see what happens.

I will start at $350

You have been most generous with your time and very helpful.

The internet a wonderful thing.

Art In Ct.

• 12-28-2009 6:22 PM In reply to

Please let us know how you get along!

P.S. Welcome to BeoWorld!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-28-2009 6:41 PM In reply to

I hate to do this to you but what do you think of the  Model 5500 with an MMC5 that is also on ebay with 4 hours to go.

Current bid $200.  I am trying to get a handle on B & O's good tables and better tables.

I didn't realize how many models they made from 1975-1995.

• 12-28-2009 7:26 PM In reply to

5500 is very similar to the aforementioned TX2, in this case with a lesser cartridge. Would be nice to add to a BS5500 that is missing the BG.

I would stick w/ finding a 400x as a stand alone table!

On the other hand... maybe your search(es) will lead you down the road of terminal BeoVirus!

We are here to help, but there is no inoculation! Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-29-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi,

Frankly I haven't heard the TX decks, but I use a Beogram 8000 with a Soundmith MMC and it sounds gorgeous, much better than my brand new SL-1200 mkII with RB 300 arm fitted (which itself is way better than my TD-160 mkII!).

Did you win the bid then?

Jacques

• 12-29-2009 10:31 AM In reply to

Just had a look at the specs for your Onkyo and you do not need an RIAA as it has one built in. For $500, the 4002 should be in very good condition and with a cartridge.

The original TX was a Beogram 6002 without the datalink and I think it had RCA plugs. Looks like a 8002 but is belt drive. The TX2 is more like a 5500 deck.

• 12-29-2009 10:47 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

The 4002 looks superb, just the lid isn't so perfect really, but this can be fixed.

The platter shouldn't be left in place for shipping though!

I say, go for it, but be prepared to have the cart re-tipped!

Jacques

• 12-29-2009 10:55 AM In reply to

Peter :
    Just had a look at the specs for your Onkyo and you do not need an RIAA as it has one built in.

That is certainly good news!

I have been thru the manual several times. Pg. 37 appears to be the best regarding the PHONO input(s). It states that an amped or non-amped table can be connected (via different connections). As the MMC range would be best classified as a magnet, then there should not be any external RIAA required. They claim that in the case of a coil cartridge an external amp IS required.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-30-2009 2:46 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The 400* series of tangential turntables are far superior than the later ones.

As already mentioned , I would also expect a really good condition cartridge (MMC20EN or preferrably MMC20CL) to be included at the asking price & even then I would consider it to be slightly overpriced. $350 - $400 would be nearer the max if in good condition.

Lastly I would really advise collecting in person if at all possible. Even when packed correctly these turntables don't have a high survival rate when posted.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)