in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-07-2009 3:40 AM by beocool. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2009 6:12 PM

A match made in music heaven: maggies and B&O

Hello Beoworld-ers!

I am thrilled to find you all. Just read 17 pages in to the vintage section for fun, which should certify me Jensen looney  I own two beocenters  in the 7000 series and and have loved them dearly for two decades plus.  I bought the second (a 7700) because a high end audio place didnt know what to do with it, so i brought her home with me. The maggie/B&O combo has made me very happy for a long time.

My question: Does anyone else pair their B&O amps with magnepan speakers, and why ?

I am about to buy a BM 1900 or 2400 to hook up to my early maggies ( MG1) on the theory the same generation amps "match" speakers  from roughly the same era.  It's not science, I grant you. Just my ear.   In theory, the BM 4500 or 6500 on ebay now might do just as well with the extra power they offer.  Perhaps this is an esoteric post, so forgive this newbie.  Just glad to be here!

Dan

• 12-06-2009 6:25 PM In reply to

Re: A match made in music heaven: maggies and B&O

Welcome aboard Dan!

Two great pieces you have there! The 4500/6500 are also great.

I came this close >< to running Maggies, but passed. Would like to hear more about them!

Regards,

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-06-2009 7:56 PM In reply to

Burantek, thanks for the welcome!

Gosh, where do I begin to gush about my Maggies?  The magnepan sound envelopes me in the recorded audio world like no other. Maggies breathe music. It floats out in the most natural way, engulfing me in a sound stage. The players, the instruments are separate yet cohesive. I believe the B & O amps I use, (I've tried others) are perfect, unassuming and powerful partners.  

Some in the audio world wonder what our gush is all about. I believe the Maggie sound appeals to a particular ear. Not better, not more sophisticated -- just an appeal to ears that find them delightful. A niche product, perhaps.

The envelope is small. The larger speaker (5-foot) and optimum placement requirements are demanding. They are power hungry. Many complain about a diminished bass response.  All true (except the "loudness" button on the Beocenter 7700 seems to occasionally remedy that for me) Also dvd-a and high end CDs also seem to give me a satisfying bass. I think it is about accurate bass reproduction, not a lost dynamicism -but that is just me.

Not all Maggies are adorable.  I own a second pair of Maggies (smg-c) that are smaller, quicker and cleaner. But it's also like the difference between vinyl and cds. The early mags and the true ribbon models have something extra. The smaller Maggies I rescued from a pawn shop even though I knew they were not well thought of  (think: Beocenter 2200)  in the magnepan world . 

I've sat in the B&O stores and others  listening to other speakers. But my wife says the 'Maggie smile' she sees on me, is pure joy

Dan

• 12-07-2009 3:11 AM In reply to

Don't get carried away with the supposed increase in power of the 4500 over the 2400. These are both what I would regard as 30W amplifiers. To be fair, neither are as good as the splendid amplifier in the 7000 series music centres.

• 12-07-2009 3:40 AM In reply to

Welcome Dan!

I listened to a pair of Maggies in an audiophile shop. I've heard them only once and it's quite a long time ago. I can't remember which type, but they were about the same size as the current MMG model. I rather liked the sound of them. They were linked to a Bryston amplifier, which according to the shop owner was the only way to go. Clearly you disagree. Wink 

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)