in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-01-2009 6:14 PM by Russ. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2009 1:06 AM

110V Beolab 5 or not?

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around for ages! But I'm now faced with a new dilemma I thought I need to seek some very wise advice from you guys ;)

I'm thinking of upgrading my 8000s and BL2 to a BL5... but where I live in Australia, it's not close to a dealership at all. I did manage to listen to them personally at one dealership here (in another city) last time I went there a couple of years ago and the sound just blew me away (which is why I've always been thinking about it ever since)...

Now the dilemma is that I realise that sourcing it from the US is a LOT cheaper than buying it here, even if you include exchange rates and fright charges and even an import tax, it will still be at least 20%-30% cheaper than buying here. But that means the speakers will need to be running through 110 to 240V transformers the whole time.

What are your opinions? Are there any potential problems with powering speakers through transformers in the long term? Any potential problems I need to be aware of? With warranty, it's 3 years international but I think once it's finished, it will perhaps be expensive to repair considering it's a different model to the one in Australia. But B&O speakers are built to last, as my 8000s are still perfect, so how worried should I be?

Thanks for everyone's valuable input!!!

Beomud

• 12-01-2009 1:18 AM In reply to

Re: 110V Beolab 5 or not?

Hi Beomud,

way back then I was living in the US and bought my B&O system there. Then I moved back to Europe. I took my BL6000 and Ouverture to a technician and he switched everything to 240V. It was simple, fast and cheap. Do not bother with transformers.

Best.

• 12-01-2009 3:13 AM In reply to

flycub:

I took my BL6000 and Ouverture to a technician and he switched everything to 240V. It was simple, fast and cheap. Do not bother with transformers.

I would backup flycup's solution.

Especially as for a Beolab5 the transformator needs to handle 2500W (and more as this is output power, not input power) for EACH speaker so its size will almost match the lab5's Sad

Problem might be to convince the local B&O technician to convert a "foreign" (= not bought at his location) device Unsure

Gunther

• 12-01-2009 4:23 AM In reply to

If you buy it from a dealer in the US ask him to do the mod.

• 12-01-2009 8:44 AM In reply to

hi

you need only a Step Down Transformer For 220V/240V To 110 V

plug in and is done

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/step-down-transformer.html#vod3000-stepdownvoltagetransformers-cecertified

marijo

• 12-01-2009 9:03 AM In reply to

I don't really see the problem - the transformer simply needs to be changed - it is mentioned in the service manual for when one changes country. Part numbers are in the service manual on site.

• 12-01-2009 1:32 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

flycub:

If you buy it from a dealer in the US ask him to do the mod.

Or better, order it with aus specs.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 12-01-2009 5:36 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the responses guys!! I really appreciate it. Thank you for making me aware of the size of the step down transformer with sufficient voltage to power the lab 5..

I managed to call up the technician and I've been told that it will be quite expensive to have the voltage converted because a FEW parts need to be swapped out and also the parts will be quite expensive because they are applied to a foreign model.

In the end I think I might just go with the Beolab 9, as my place probably isn't big enough to warranty a lab 5 in any case.

Thanks again for the input everyone!

• 12-01-2009 6:14 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Thanks everyone!

You could ask a US Dealer to order you a 240v pair, its worth a try.

Cool

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)