in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-18-2009 7:32 AM by beojeff. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2009 2:04 PM

Any update on Gapless Playing with files created in a mac environment

Last time I checked on WAV files would play gapless and I can't create those in a mac environment which I have.

Is there an updated release plan for software improvements.

Is the BS5 actually selling well? I found few albums that were release digital only in the US - i.e. the new Joss Stone is available only on Itunes or as an Import. Also the virgin stores in NYC closed this year ... last major CD store I knew .....

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 11-13-2009 11:21 AM In reply to

Re: Any update on Gapless Playing with files created in a mac environment

Is it that people in pure MAC environments are not using the BS5 or are people in general not bothered by gaps between songs when listening to classic or live recordings?

Cheers

JK

• 11-13-2009 12:01 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Since I`m using a BS5 I have no pure Mac environment anymore   and there are no gaps between the songs on my BS5....(?) 

Stefan

• 11-13-2009 12:37 PM In reply to

I thought that is only possible with wav. How do you do WAV on a mac?

I am kind of buying into re-ripping my library but I am not buying beomedia 5 which is a PC and then another PC just to maintain my library with beoplayer or windows itunes.

Cheers

JK

• 11-13-2009 3:56 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

As described in other threads it is possible to install Beoplayer on a mac. I have Beoconnect and Beoplayer both installed on my macbook and my mac mini. Beoplayer is set to copy directly to BS5 in lossless quality. Just insert a CD, press copy - BS5 is automatically activated by Beoplayer - and forget it. Can`t be easier. I don`t use Beoconnect anymore. If you listen to classical music and acoustic jazz and other music with high dynamic I highly recommand to use lossless format. For pop/rock and other electronic music which is pre compressed in dynamic during recording/production process 256/320 aac/mp3 will be ok.

Btw I can take my macbook out to the garden and listen to all music via Beoplayer wireless connected to the BS5 with A8s independantly from the Beolink system. Not possible with Beoconnect.

Stefan

• 11-14-2009 8:04 AM In reply to

I'm not bothered by it. However, music that I've re-ripped into WMA lossless plays without gaps.

• 11-18-2009 1:11 AM In reply to

It matches what i read here earlier .... the gap issue and that wma is not available on macs doesn't seem to bother enough people.

For me that just too much of an imperfection. I do mind having to nstall beoplayer on a mac but even more I would hope that there is a point in future where an BS5 and ipod library can be the same.

So far everyone with a BS5 seem to create something separated for the BS5. This owuld be short term OK for me but long term a big no.

• 11-18-2009 7:32 AM In reply to

I think that whenever we're dealing with lossless music, we have to maintain two libraries regardless. Most people would not want to load their ipods with lossless music. Perhaps some might.

While not an ideal solution, Apple has addressed the similar problem with video by throwing in an extra standard def version of any high def video downloads so that we can have the standard def version for transportability on the ipod/iphone.

The WMA lossless files can easily be batch-converted to Apple Lossless if you do want lossless music for use in iTunes. I think that with the BeoSound 5, the individual user finds a method that works well for his individual needs. For example, I'm happy with having the bulk of my music library in AAC iTunes Plus on both the BeoSound 5 and in my iTunes library. I've been re-ripping some of my favorites in WMA Lossless for the BeoSound 5 while keeping the old iTunes Plus versions in iTunes for use on my iPod and iPhone. I really can tell a difference with the lossless music; however, I wouldn't feel the need to have that extra quality for most of my music.

Gapless music seems to be a big concern for you. That's certainly fair. Maybe if you keep advocating it, B&O will listen. I remember when you were pushing for an entry-level tv in the U.S. and we finally got one. I, personally, see more important corrections/features needed for the BeoSound 5. For example, the capability of removing selected songs/albums from MOTS (which B&O has promised will happen). It does get irritating hearing Christmas music randomly playing in June. LOL

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)