in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-14-2009 11:42 AM by msinn. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-13-2009 5:58 PM

• pnr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-25-2009
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Mac Mini as media center on b&o

I want to stream netradio, play ISO movies, see pictures, hera music and more on my Beovison 4, to do that I think i want a Mac Mini. but i have a few questions if somebody have some experience with that setup.

But how much can i control on Mac mini with my Beo 4?
    What about the usb, mini dvi to HDMI, what is the qualty of that converter?
    What Media center software shall i use on Mac Mini?
    Is the image/sound quality from Mac mini  as good as Twix "media center"

Thanks in advance :)

• 11-13-2009 6:21 PM In reply to

Re: Mac Mini as media center on b&o

welcome :)

There are many threads, some of them even active at this month, that address most of your questions

In my current set-up I use a BeoPort with BM-Link to control my Apple.

And I am investigating the use of Front Row versus PLEX as a simple user interface

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-13-2009 7:09 PM In reply to

Hello There

I use a similar set up, i.e i have a mac mini connected to my BV8- 40, Beoport, BC 2 and beolab 9's.

I wasnt overly impressed with the quality of sound of mp3's so have connected all through a DAC (Cambridge Audio).

This has improved the sound enormously.

I can use the beo 4 remote to turn on net radio and net music. Dont stream videos so much, but the tv doubles as a monitor so can pull up any web sources. Ive connected a wireless keyboard and mouse for full functionality.

Of course with the recent updates to itunes, beoport software isnt fully compatible- ie you cant scroll through all the playlists using the beo 4 remote. Earlier than 8.0 you can.

Hope this helps

David

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 11-14-2009 12:51 AM In reply to

However one of our members is working on improving the current integration with the Beo4

It is anti-B&O but I sometimes use the Apple remote (I have a plastic one, not the new version) and/or the bluetooth keyboard

Others use iPod Touch and/or iPhone apps as their remotes

And then there is the Beo5

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-14-2009 7:05 AM In reply to

• msinn
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Hi,

at the moment I use my Mac Mini for audio only. It is connected throug an Airport Express and an DAC from Cambrige Audio to the aux in of my Beocenter 2500. The sound is excelent. I control iTunes via the Remote application for the iPod Touch. ( That's my two-way remote :-) )

I am experimenting to use the Mac Mini for video. I think Front Row has a nice user interface but has too many restrictions for my taste. I started experimenting wirth Plex and I think I'll go the Plex route.

msinn

• 11-14-2009 7:14 AM In reply to

The downside with PLEX is that while it plays video podcasts, it can not handle any downloaded iTunes videos/movies that have been DRM protection

• 11-14-2009 9:57 AM In reply to

elephant:

The downside with PLEX is that while it plays video podcasts, it can not handle any downloaded iTunes videos/movies that have been DRM protection

DRM protection has been lifted by apple store, or am I wrong ?

• 11-14-2009 10:01 AM In reply to

msinn:

Hi,

at the moment I use my Mac Mini for audio only. It is connected throug an Airport Express and an DAC from Cambrige Audio to the aux in of my Beocenter 2500. The sound is excelent. I control iTunes via the Remote application for the iPod Touch. ( That's my two-way remote :-) )

I am experimenting to use the Mac Mini for video. I think Front Row has a nice user interface but has too many restrictions for my taste. I started experimenting wirth Plex and I think I'll go the Plex route.

msinn

I like Plex as it is very flexible and can handle music playing linked to itunes.

There is an iphone app to control plex ...just found that out and will try that soon. 

• 11-14-2009 10:07 AM In reply to

cooldude:

elephant:

DRM protection has been lifted by apple store, or am I wrong ?

They've lifted DRM on music, not movies. And with music, it's still downloaded in a proprietary format that some programs don't read. I don't know about Plex specifically.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-14-2009 11:35 AM In reply to

• msinn
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Hi,

are you talking about Snatch? I am playing around with it and it works fine for me. My planned setup will control PLEX with the Beo4 (thru the PUC of my BV9. When I have a need for specialities in PLEX I will grab my iPod Touch and control PLEX thru Snatch. I have the iPod Touch in reach, because I use it to control iTunes for my audio connection to my B&O system.

cooldude:

I like Plex as it is very flexible and can handle music playing linked to itunes.

There is an iphone app to control plex ...just found that out and will try that soon.

• 11-14-2009 11:42 AM In reply to

• msinn
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

For videos I have no problem with DRM. I don't buy videos in the iTunes store. Wink Allmost all my audio ist in Apple lossless format. So I stick to iTunes. PLEX integrates with iTunes for audio. It can read the iTunes library and play whats in it.

TripEnglish:

They've lifted DRM on music, not movies. And with music, it's still downloaded in a proprietary format that some programs don't read. I don't know about Plex specifically.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)