in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-16-2009 7:45 PM by wirralsimon. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-07-2009 7:42 AM

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Thanks to my good friend & all round Beoworld meister Dillen (Martin) for supplying me with a cap kit, some other impossible to find parts & some priceless advice I am now the proud daddy of a near mint Beomaster 1700. Just love the quirkiness of this thing and it is shortly to become my next PC amp connected to some CX50's.

Not bad for £5 on ebayCool

Forgive the messy photo - it is still on my workbench.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-07-2009 7:44 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: My new toy

This really is a very nice sounding amp for its size.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-07-2009 8:15 AM In reply to

Very nice Chris :)

I use my Beomaster 2000 with some CX50s in my home office and they're a perfect size for that type of space.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-07-2009 12:00 PM In reply to

Looks good! Congratz.

I got this today:

Display errors on the left side but thats it. White edition Beomaster 8000!

Price: 55£!

• 11-07-2009 12:06 PM In reply to

That picture squashes the 8000 a bit. I thought it was a 6000 at first glance!

• 11-14-2009 2:30 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Finally! I've got a free weekend where I'm not on call so I've got round to installing it as my PC amp. Photo to follow when I've had a bit of a tidy upSmile

Chris.

• 11-14-2009 7:37 PM In reply to

Hurry up Chris, we want to see it! Smile

These models seem somehow neglected on the forum. Can't see why, I've always liked the looks.

-mika

• 11-15-2009 8:03 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Not the best photo in the world - my office space is a bit small & dark but the general idea is there.

• 11-15-2009 11:33 AM In reply to

I have rigged up a similar Dell SFF for my girlfriend! She needs to use a BM900K with the built-in speakers though Smile

How do you like the sound of the 1700? I still have a place for something of that form factor, and I've never seen nor heard one of these...

-mika

• 11-15-2009 11:55 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The sound is really very good and works particularly well with CX speakers. I think C40's were the recommended speakers so that doesn't surprise me. There is no distortion at all even when the volume is pushed quite high. Perfect for this type of application and would also work well in a smallish room as a main system but I would probably use something like S45's in that instance.

Chris.

• 11-15-2009 12:15 PM In reply to

tournedos:

I have rigged up a similar Dell SFF for my girlfriend! She needs to use a BM900K with the built-in speakers though Smile

How do you like the sound of the 1700? I still have a place for something of that form factor, and I've never seen nor heard one of these...

Mika, Would you like one + matching BC?
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 11-15-2009 3:07 PM In reply to

burantek:
    tournedos:

Mika, Would you like one + matching BC?

*I* would -  but I'm afraid that has to be discussed with the owner of the premises Wink I have a feeling the Beocord would not be welcome...

-mika

• 11-15-2009 4:15 PM In reply to

Very innovative design but this was an  AC coupled amplifier rather than the DC coupled 1500 that it replaced. Perfectly pleasant sounding - always surprised me how little was in the box when opened.

• 11-16-2009 11:09 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Peter :

always surprised me how little was in the box when opened.

Me too Peter, I was surprised at how relatively light it is when compared to other amps from the same era. I aren't complaining though as it probably meant only half as many capacitors to replaceBig Smile

Chris.

• 11-16-2009 11:24 AM In reply to

I think it is more the size of the transformer. In the really good B&O amplifiers - Beolab 5000, Beomaster 4400 and 8000 - the transformers are big and very heavy. The 1700 is only about 20W a channel so doesn't need the heft that the other amps require.

• 11-16-2009 7:45 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

The sound is really very good and works particularly well with CX speakers. I think C40's were the recommended speakers so that doesn't surprise me. There is no distortion at all even when the volume is pushed quite high. Perfect for this type of application and would also work well in a smallish room as a main system but I would probably use something like S45's in that instance.

Chris.

I use a pair of C40s as speakers on my main computer and they sound superb. Now that the C30/C40/CX50 are becoming very affordable and refoam kits are freely available there is no reason to use those horrible plastic things that come with most PC's these days!

Simon

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)