in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-20-2007 9:59 AM by Beonut. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-17-2007 7:40 AM

BeoSystem 3 Early Learning Problems

Hello,

I have just got my BeoSystem 3 and been trying to set it up and have come across a few small problems which I hope someone here might have the answers to: (I have connected a BC2 via Masterlink - BS3 option V.OPT 2 and BC2 option A.OPT 0)

1) Currently I am only connecting a pair of Beolab 3s and would like to use them as normal stereo front speakers. I have connected them in PL socket 2 & 3. Problem is that I only get sound in the "R" speaker. I have also tried in PL 1 (Sub) + 2 but then no sounds from neither "L" or "R". Using the first option: In "Sound" -> "Speaker Types" menu the BS3 gives the speaker noise for the "R" speaker as number 3 in the list and the "L" speaker as number 4 in the list. When adjusting speaker levels the NS3 speaker noise can be heard in the "R" speaker under "Right Front" but in the "L" under "Right Surround". Why is this? "Default speaker option for video and audio is Speaker option 3.

2) I have connected my Thompson Sky HD box - which I believe is model DSI8215, however this model is not in the DTV list of the BS3. Is there another Thompson I can select? or do I need a SW upgrade of my BS3?

3) I have connected my PS3 using HDMI only using AV3 -> V.AUX2 - > "Other -> UNKNOWN" & HDMI A. I cant find a PS3 in the lists and I dont know how to select AV3 on my Beo4 ?

I also have a pair of BeoLab 8000 and a Beolab 7.1 but I am not planning on using this yet as my living room is way to small - looking to find a bigger place. :) But are these the right components for an awesome surround system?

Kind Regards

Christian

Filed under:
  • 06-17-2007 7:59 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Re: BeoSystem 3 Early Learning Problems

Christian,

1) You need to set the type of speakers first - and what sockets they are plugged into - then you need to set the speaker roles - here setting Right Front and Left Front to PL 2&3. You can change the default option for Video and audio separately to Speaker 2.

2) You should use the Pace Sky+ option in the STB choices - it should be there hopefully.

3) The PS3 is controlled by its own wireless controller, so won't be controlled by BEO4 (although you can make it if you want with extra hardware) - you do need to select the video and audio input though. To do this, you need to firstly select what AV3 is mapped to in the CONNECTIONS menu (V.Aux is a good one). You then need to add this to your BEO4. on the list button. Instructions are in the manual.

With regard to the other speakers, I'd certainly connect at least the Beolab 7.1 and put it under your screen and keep the speaker default for video as SPEAKER 3 - it'll make the TV much better - but then I'd connect up all the speakers regardless of room size! 

I would say to get the awesome surround system experience, you should theing of the Beolab 2 when you move.
  • 06-17-2007 12:10 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Hi Christian,

1)  Sorrry to disagree with Frog, but you'll need to attach the speakers to the first PL socket (Centre1).  See your local shop regarding a PL-Y-adaptor.  It is a vagary of the BeoSystem's Software (Imagine a BV-4 with a BeoLab 7-1 for instance).  I think you'll see that the Centre speaker can be set for pairs of speakers in the menu.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-17-2007 1:00 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

I am sorry but that is not correct.

Ive set up many of these. The first two powerlink sockets are for Center and Sub, you wont use these. Hook up your beolab 3s to any of the other powerlinks. Once you go to select speaker type select 7-1 or 2 as your center and go down the list until you hear feedback from the speakers then store. Then go to speaker role menu and select front right and front left and store that. Then go to Adjustments and sleect speaker 2 as your audio and video speaker default settings :-D

-Alex
  • 06-17-2007 3:57 PM In reply to

The reference manuals for both the EU and the US models are on site. Alex is quite correct about the PL sockets! (Of course!)
  • 06-18-2007 4:27 AM In reply to

Thanks everyone for the input - this forum is brilliant. I got the speakers to work correctly as suggested by selecting a centre speaker even though I had none connected, because that allowed me to do the speaker role configuration. I have the User and Reference guide in printed form, but this solution was not obvious from the guides.

How do I check the SW version number? I would like to check if I have the latest of if I should get an upgrade at some point.

Kind Regards

Christian 

• 06-18-2007 5:41 AM In reply to

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

To find to sw version;

Bring up a menu (except the puc menu) for example;

Press TV, Menu, then press 00 GO,

It is in the monitor information section.

Regards
    Peter

My B&O - BS3, BV4-50, Beomedia 1, BS3200, DVD1, BL8000, BL6000, BL3, BL2, BL7.4
  • 06-19-2007 5:18 PM In reply to

When I look at the Monitor Information this is what I get:

AP = SW01.50a
    IOC = SW22.00a

Which is the SW level of the BS3? I've read the latest level is 3.0 - which does not look as the number I have.

I have set my Sky HD box as a Pace Sky+, but it wont allow me to change channel on my HD box. I have seen a jpg on this site listing the Pace Sky+ commands on the Beo4, but nothing happens when I try them. Hitting the menu button I get a menu to the left, but when pressing any numbers or colors nothing happens?

• 06-20-2007 2:41 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

It very much sounds like you haven't got the IR wand in the right place. I have mine at 10 O'clock on the 'dial' on the front of the box (the round bit that cycles when playing back something from disk) and it is working fine - but if you hold the wand a few inches in front of the box, you should get results and move it closer to the box checking that it is still responding then stick it down.

BTW current version of Beosystem 3 is version 3.1.

• 06-20-2007 5:20 AM In reply to

Thanks will try that when I get back. 

And what version do I have? 1.50a?

• 06-20-2007 9:59 AM In reply to

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

1.5a is quite old you should get it updated by your dealer free of charge as this may be part of the problem. Regarding control of the sky hd box, pace sky + is the correct setting, you also need the scart cable connected to support the power on / off function and an optical to sp/dif cable if ou want dd5.1. My IR ctrl is stuck on about the 3o'clock position on the blue led circle. You may also want to check that the ir control is plugged into the correct av port, ie the same port group as the hdmi cable and the scart cable.

Regards

Peter

My B&O - BS3, BV4-50, Beomedia 1, BS3200, DVD1, BL8000, BL6000, BL3, BL2, BL7.4
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)