in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-30-2009 9:38 PM by Medogsfat. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-29-2009 9:13 AM

B & O 5000 System

First post...

Considering selling my B&O 5000 system which I have owned from new but apart from loving the look of it in my lounge I have no idea if it has any value. It consists of

Beomaster 5000 - Master Unit
    Beogram 5000 - Record Deck
    Beocord 5000 - Cassette Deck
    Beogram 6500 CD - CD Player
    Beomaster Control Panel - Coffee table remote control
    Beovox CX100 - Speakers

All is top condition. The original system did not include a CD player and I had to wait until B&O released the 6500. It works perfectly. I have all the original manuals in their black paper folders except for the 6500 for some reason. My wife loves the look and the sound of the whole system, as do I, so it is a difficult decision to sell it. 

Pic attached. Note the slightly different colour of the 6500 which B&O changed from the 5000..grrr..but in the flesh it looks fine of course.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you

• 10-29-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: B & O 5000 System

List on ebay as seperate items and you'll get twice the price of selling as a complete system.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-29-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

Thanks Chris. Any idea of a guideline start price ? £50/100 ?

I suppose they are ideal to replace anyone with a faulty unit or even as a collectors item.  To be fair if I couldn't get a half decent amount I'd keep the whole system as it works perfectly and the sound is as good as ever. Of course I never use the record deck or the cassette player any more and use my cinema surround system to play CDs. But the 5000 is easier to use and produces a nice warm stereo sound. 

Slightly spoilt by going into my local B&O outlet and spending 2 hours drooling over everything especially the Beosound 5.

• 10-29-2009 5:49 PM In reply to

I'd go for a £0.99 starting price. I sold a similar system earlier this summer, and I got about £100 each for the Beogram CD and the Beomaster, £50 for the Beocord (I was surprised), and £35 for the MCP5000. I kept the turntable, but later swapped it for a Beosound 2. If the CX100s don't have foam rot, you might get another £100 for them. With foam rot, maybe £50-60.

Good luck :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-29-2009 6:08 PM In reply to

Ok that sounds good. Cheers John

Speakers are fine, no foam rot. probably some of the best speakers I have heard as well.

I'm guessing from the responses that ebay is a place where folk looking for older B&O stuff go ? I'll put it under the appropriate headings, vintage B&O and the standard B&O section

• 10-30-2009 12:55 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I cannot tell exactly from your photo's but if the CX100's are grey & not white then they also have rarity value which you need to highlight in your description. They are the least common colourway by quite a margin.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-30-2009 1:04 PM In reply to

They are grey Chris. Ok, this is getting interesting....Smile

• 10-30-2009 1:21 PM In reply to

topgazza:

They are rare, but are they any more desirable Chris? I thought the white ones were the most sought-after?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-30-2009 1:29 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

topgazza:

They are rare, but are they any more desirable Chris? I thought the white ones were the most sought-after?

I have seen plenty of white ones (in various condition) but never a pair of grey ones.
    Unless you count the time I almost bought a pair being sold locally as 'grey' ... but being more of a 'dust' grey than B&O grey Laughing .

• 10-30-2009 3:31 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

topgazza:

To my mind Black ones are the best looking but I recently sold a pair of Grey CX50's for £170 (which I hope really pi**ed off the first "buyer" who got them for £75 and didn't bother paying - happy daysBig Smile) so I suppose it all depends on hoping 2 buyers really want them.

As you well know John, ebay is a bit of an anathema and there really is no guarantee of getting top dollar and luck plays as much a part as good photo's & descriptions. One thing is for sure though, if you don't put up good photo's & description then it WILL affect the price.

List them mid week around 9.30 pm and offer postage to Europe - interparcel will ship them via DHL for a reasonable price (much cheaper than parcelfarce and look after them better).

@ topgazza - are you 100% sure there isn't any foam rot? if the foam surrounds are sticky to the touch then I'm afraid it is already set in.

Chris.

• 10-30-2009 5:25 PM In reply to

Ah, you mean the foam around the cones. Yes sticky to the touch Sad

ebay is a necessary evil for me and now they charge 10% of the final fee a rip off as well. But hey ho...needs must

• 10-30-2009 9:38 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

topgazza:

Ah, you mean the foam around the cones. Yes sticky to the touch Sad

I suspected as much but not the end of the world if the cosmetic condidtion is otherwise good. Replacement drivers are still available from B&O but not worth buying unless you are going to keep them (@ £25 each I think). The cheap but very messy option is to refoam them yourself or sell as-is.

BTW - the most desirable piece you have is the Beogram CD6500 followed in close 2nd place by the CX100's & the cartridge from the Beogram 5000 which I suspect is a MMC4? sell this seperately as it will realise more money than if sold along with the deck - strange but true. Don't be tight with the postage but make sure you can track it, in my experience it's worth taking a slight loss on the postage charges as high costs put a lot of bidders off as they think you're taking liberties to recoup your listing fees -  including me!

Chris.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)