in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-18-2009 6:43 AM by lausvi. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2009 8:06 AM

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

BG8002 - electronic troubles

Hello all.

I was given a free Beogram 8002 today. (Without a cartridge, I have an SMMC4 on BG9000 for testing if needed). The 8002 is not in a very good condition externally but nothing too serious, just some scratched here and there and all double-sided tapes loosened. Bigger problems are in the electronics.

I have plugged it to mains and it goes like this. Red dot lights up. If I press PLAY the arm-carriage starts moving slowly to the left. Very slowly, the belt seems to be slipping. The light on the bigger arm is on. The arm moves all the way to the left and tries to move further, the motor keeps running. I can't make it stop at all, but I can change between 33 and 45 and fine-tune those. Pressing >> causes the arm-carriage motor to stop while I keep the button pressed. I have the deck open in front of me right now. If I press down the arm-carriage in standby-area (right) the deck stops. If I then press PLAY and release the sensor the red < lights up on the arm for a second or two, blinks and fades out. In now way I can get it to return the arm-carriage to the right-side.

All ideas appreciated!

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 10-10-2009 8:23 AM In reply to

Re: BG8002 - electronic troubles

The first thing is to replace the capacitors with Martin's kit as problems here seem to cause a myriad of odd symptoms. Your deck does at least show some life!! And replace the arm belt though I doubt this is really an issue.

• 10-10-2009 8:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Is the little red "left arrow" on the tip of the sensor arm lit when the carriage moves left ?
    If so, check the adjustments on the backside of the << and >> buttons.
    It's mentioned in the service manual.

And yes, as always capacitors.

Martin

• 10-10-2009 9:52 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I almost guessed it would be the cap-kit recommendation! Martin, I will PM you later about that.

The left arrow is not lit when the carriage moves, it just lights up for a second or two in certain situations (randomly pushing the buttons to try stopping it!)

I have to take the whole deck almost completely apart as it's very dirty. There is even a bit of rust in the rear panel, this must have been kept in a cold storage. Inside it looks dirty but otherwise pretty good.

• 10-11-2009 8:48 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hello!

When you've changed the caps (do it), inspect all solders with a linen-tester (strong magnifying glass). Random failures are often (always?) the sign of bad solder joints, especially around connectors. My three Beograms had this problem at several places. 

By the way, Beogram CD3000 lid still going strong! Thanks again!

Jacques

• 10-11-2009 11:19 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Hi chartz, glad to hear the BG-CD is still working.

I will replace the caps and check the board. The connectors did feel a bit tight and no wonder if the connector-solderings would get loose. I don't feel too sure about the flat-cables to the CPU-box either, they are very loose. The transformer design is interesting, you can swap it easily, surely a great thing in exporting these. The power connector felt very hard to get off and I hope it didn't cause any stress to the board Geeked

• 10-17-2009 10:27 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hello,

Any news?

Jacques

• 10-18-2009 6:43 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Capacitor-kit from Martin is on it's way! Yes -  thumbs up

I will clean the rest of the deck before that and check the board for bad solderings etc. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)