in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-14-2009 7:31 AM by cooldude. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-13-2009 10:27 AM

B&O perception in the US

iPhoneblog comments on Coolbrands ratings shows B&O has a long way to go to improve image/perception in the US!

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-13-2009 10:53 AM In reply to

Re: B&O perception in the US

Not just in the US.

• 10-13-2009 4:35 PM In reply to

I think that is true. Personally I wouldn't buy it if I wouldn't have grown up with it and have that emotional connection. They have a spotty product portfolio and most of their stores are too far away as being perceived as "luxury".

They just don't seem to have the muscle to crack the US even though the presence in some "design" hotels is a very clever move. "Applause". They missed the condo boom and they are missing true flag ship stores but those do not make sense with a wider product portfolio.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-13-2009 5:29 PM In reply to

The list is referred to as the TOP 10. How many other brands/items did not make the TOP 10?  Being in the TOP 10 is usually considered a good thing. B and O was not 9th out of 10, it was 9th out of who knows how many, hence the TOP 10.  For example, take a look at this list which includes the next 10 (11-20)  B and O ranked higher than Ferrari, Mini, Rolex and Sony.  I would say that is doing very well. The downside is they fell from 4 in 2008 to 9 in 2009.

Congratulations B and O on being in the TOP 10 two years in a row.

http://www.rankingthebrands.com/The-Brand-Rankings.aspx?rankingID=64&year=74

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-13-2009 5:51 PM In reply to

Here is a link to the main site from which the entire list is available.  Also, the list is broken down by categories. The category B and O is in is Technology General. The ONLY members of the category to rank higher than B and O were Apple/iPod. Conversely, many well known names ranked much lower on the list than B and O, such as Blaupunkt,  Bowers and Wilkins, Cambridge Audio, Harmon Kardon, and   Loewe.

http://www.coolbrands.uk.com/

• 10-13-2009 5:58 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

Here is a link to the main site from which the entire list is available.  Also, the list is broken down by categories. The category B and O is in is Technology General. The ONLY members of the category to rank higher than B and O were Apple/iPod. Conversely, many well known names ranked much lower on the list than B and O, such as Blaupunkt,  Bowers and Wilkins, Cambridge Audio, Harmon Kardon, and   Loewe.

http://www.coolbrands.uk.com/

The original post was really to draw attention to the comments below the article on iphoneblog........ which show a different US perception of B&O (obviously within the iphoneblog readership which may not be a representative sample of the US public.)

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-13-2009 6:50 PM In reply to

jk1002:

I think that is true. Personally I wouldn't buy it if I wouldn't have grown up with it and have that emotional connection. They have a spotty product portfolio and most of their stores are too far away as being perceived as "luxury".

They just don't seem to have the muscle to crack the US even though the presence in some "design" hotels is a very clever move. "Applause". They missed the condo boom and they are missing true flag ship stores but those do not make sense with a wider product portfolio.

JK

Bang & Olufsen NA is doing just fine.  My first system was purchased at Neiman Marcus in the 80's when B&O didn't have any of their own stores. Nobody in North America knows about Loewe although they did sell some of their products in the US in the 90's.

JK,

Check out B&O America on Facebook and you'll see a list of the 50 stores in the US.  Most of the stores are located in upscale areas.

http://www.facebook.com/BangandOlufsenAmerica#/BangandOlufsenAmerica?v=wall

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-13-2009 7:04 PM In reply to

My first memory of B and O is at a Neiman Marcus. I remember walking into one as a child with my mother and hearing an orchestra playing. After searching the store for the orchestra I was surprised to find there was no orchestra, just Bang and Olufsen.

• 10-13-2009 9:29 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

B&O and Aston Martin are the only two niche brands in the top ten, so having made the cut I would say is a big deal as all the other brands are major players.

• 10-13-2009 9:54 PM In reply to

>>Bang & Olufsen NA is doing just fine.  My first system was purchased at Neiman Marcus in the 80's when B&O didn't have any of their own stores<<

It is not where the stores are. Ask Trip English who recently said he doesn't need a store he lives of the larger installations. Being a luxury brand I would expect they do store setups like Prada and friends have. Going into a store today you are far away from what at least I perceive as luxury. Obviously not all 50 should be beefed up but in key places Like NYC, Vegas, LA etc.

There is on company that keeps getting mentioned here, the one that starts with A that does this very successfully.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-13-2009 10:12 PM In reply to

It's true that our shops live primarily off of custom work, but that's not to say the mix won't change. Whether or not a given branch could move upstairs into an office, there still has to be a strong retail presence to introduce new clients and show off the full experience. Too few shops, especially here in the US, accomplish that. 

In fact, after visiting some stores I would imagine that I'd be less likely to buy after the experience than before!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-13-2009 10:50 PM In reply to

I agree some B&O stores in the US are too small and the staff are not very knowledgeable.  Many times the products are unusually arranged and close together.  I recently purchased a pair of Beolab 9's which I really like.  However while I was getting the demonstration, I insisted that everything else in the store be turned off.  That was actually not a problem.

While we are talking about B&O stores, why do they usually not have the SPDIF connection from a Beosound 9000 to the Beolab 5's setup?  I thought one of the main features of the Beolab 5's was the digital connection and up-sampling.  Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have been meaning to ask that question.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-14-2009 7:31 AM In reply to

linder:

I agree some B&O stores in the US are too small and the staff are not very knowledgeable.  Many times the products are unusually arranged and close together.  I recently purchased a pair of Beolab 9's which I really like.  However while I was getting the demonstration, I insisted that everything else in the store be turned off.  That was actually not a problem.

While we are talking about B&O stores, why do they usually not have the SPDIF connection from a Beosound 9000 to the Beolab 5's setup?  I thought one of the main features of the Beolab 5's was the digital connection and up-sampling.  Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have been meaning to ask that question.

I live in Montreal, Canada and here we are 'blessed' with 2 stores. the one that I use is rather small and even feels crowded with just a couple of people in it.  Haven't bothered with asked for a demo any more as last time  ( gotta love the rolling eyes look...) I felt I was asking them for a lot even just mentioning the idea... and they suddenly seemed busy with whatever else....  

Though I have to say things improved the last couple of times I was there.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)