in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-09-2009 10:22 PM by René. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-08-2009 5:24 PM

• René
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-08-2009
    • Upstate NY, USA
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Beocord 8000

Hi All,

I've just acquired a Beocord 8000 that looks to be in nice shape.  It powers on, but the transport mechanism doesn't work (when I put a tape in and press play, the mechanism begins to engage, and then stops).  By appearances it all seems ok ... but I don't know anything about B&O gear other than it's well built and beautiful.

From what I've gleaned on here, this is normal behaviour if the belts are bad ... so, I took the two screws in the rear of the housing out, removed the transport mechanism (3 screws), and sure enough, there is a black gooey mess where what seemed to be belts were before.

My question is how does one obtain the replacement belts, and also, what sort of testing/troubleshooting can I do to ensure the machine is worth repairing -- i.e. I don't want to spend a lot of money on parts for a machine that may not be able to be put into service.  Are there any troubleshooting steps I can take to see what else may be going on besides the obvious problem of the tape belts?  I got this from a thrift store, so I have no idea of its working status before I acquired it.

thank you all in advance!

René

• 10-08-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

Re: Beocord 8000

Martin (Dillen on site) will be able to supply belts. These are very advanced decks - the counter is real time. I have the similar looking but even more complex 9000! If the cosmetics are good and the display all works, you should have a good one - once you get rid of the black goo!

• 10-08-2009 11:01 PM In reply to

• René
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-08-2009
    • Upstate NY, USA
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Thank you very much Peter!  I sent a message to Martin and hope to hear back from him.

One of the things I'm impressed with is the intelligent layout of the boards, as well as the build quality and heft of the unit.  

Any ideas of how to clean off the black goo safely??

• 10-09-2009 1:53 AM In reply to

René:

Any ideas of how to clean off the black goo safely??

I used "goof off" to remove all the adhesive residue on my Beogram 8000.  It won't affect the aluminum or plastic parts and safe to use.  You need to wet a piece of cloth with goof off then rub it on the black goo.  The black goo will come off, then will stick to the cloth and make the cloth unusable.  So you probably want to use old throw away towel, or just buy a bag of rags at Home Depot, which I did after I ruined a micro fiber towel the first time.

• 10-09-2009 3:28 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

IPA (tapehead cleaner), cotton buds and a little patience will work nicely.
    It's quite a mess sometimes. Don't get it on your clothes.

You have an answer to your PM.

Martin

• 10-09-2009 10:22 PM In reply to

• René
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-08-2009
    • Upstate NY, USA
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Thank you all for your help and kindness.  I will gather up the necessary items and see about putting this unit to work again as soon as I'm able to.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)