in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-22-2009 11:01 PM by elephant. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-26-2009 3:58 AM

The end of a Beocord 5000

I picked up a non-working Beocord 5000 cassette player alongside a Beomaster 5000 amp and RL60 speakers a while ago and got around to opening up the Beocord today to see why it wouldn't play the tape that was stuck inside.  The drawer would open and close with a little difficulty and all the lights and buttons seemed to work.

My thought was that the belts were bad.

After a little fumbling (no service manual) I figured out to remove the two back screws which allowed me to remove the entire cover (very cool).  I was staring at the circuit board (which is hinged btw - very very cool b&o!).  Everything was very dirty, and the belts had turned to mush.  Literally, thick black ink, that was almost impossible to scub off my hands.

I don't have tapes, and didn't fancy fixing this one since working ones seem to go on eBay for $60-70 USD.  So, reluctantly, this one is headed to the dumpster.  If anyone is in need of any parts, let me know and I'll send them out to you.

Here are the autopsy pics :)

• 06-26-2009 4:05 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Re: The end of a Beocord 5000

If the cover is nice and without marks keep it, it can always be used on some of the other components of the 5000/5500 series.

br

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 06-26-2009 4:09 AM In reply to

Thanks for the tip. 

Unfortunately, it's not that nice.  It has scratches from having other components placed on top of it.

• 06-26-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

New belts can be purchased from member Dillen (Martin) and I'm sure this will fix the problem. Full fitting instructions are included in th kit.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-26-2009 5:05 PM In reply to

Possibly the best Beocord - tunes well and very convenient. Worth fixing.

• 06-27-2009 7:40 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree, it's one of the best B&O cassettedecks.

The belt mess will clean off using IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol = tapehead cleaner = carburettor alcohol), cotton buds and patience.
    With regards to fixing it, you're already halfway.
    As already mentioned, I can supply new belts and mounting instructions.

Martin

• 06-28-2009 3:01 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies all.  I would really love to save it, but there are a few factors against:

- Time

- Heavy smoke smell

- Just picked up a working Beocord 5500 :)  

My offer is still there - if anyone is in need of obscure parts, I'm happy to send get them from this unit and send them to you for postage :)  But, you have to be quick, I can't keep it around for long.

• 06-28-2009 4:13 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The BC5500 is an autoreverse deck. Very practical but not as good a deck as the 5000.

Time, well that's nothing we can help you with, I'm afraid.

Smoke smell; If it's nicotine it's tough to get rid of and it will take time but it's not impossible.
    If it's the smell of burned electronics, it's probably in the power supply where a little
    resistor, acting as a fuse, will have burned due to current overload from the jammed motor.

Martin

• 06-28-2009 4:22 PM In reply to

Hi Martin,

Yes, it's just a smoke smell, but not burned electronics.  I've been reading that the 5000 was actually quite a bit better than the 5500.  It's not gone yet ;)

On another note, do you have any experience  with the Beomaster 8000?  I will post a new thread, but in short, the lights on the panel flickered for a few minutes, but now there's just one small light that blinks quickly and nothing else :(

This thing is a monster!  and I would really like to rescue it....

• 06-28-2009 5:04 PM In reply to

I got a Beocord 5500 and it's a great player. Can't compare to a Beocord 5000 as I don't have one.

Dillen has got plenty of experience with the Beomaster 8000. If it was not for him mine would properly not be working today.

He got cap kits ready for you.

• 06-29-2009 2:53 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The BM8000; The display/processor board interconnects are known troublemakers. Check for cracked solder joints and
    conncetor pins losing their tinned coating.
    There are a couple of issues with the processor board and some fixes, we had it up recently so do a search and I'm sure you will find it.
    And yes, capacitors as always.
    Check also amplifier idle current and DC offset settings. Replace the trimmers, they will be bad and then readjust.

Not the easiest thing to service but definitely worth fixing.

Martin

• 06-30-2009 2:40 PM In reply to

>My offer is still there - if anyone is in need of obscure parts, I'm happy to send get >them from this unit and send them to you for postage :)  But, you have to be quick, I >can't keep it around for long.

how much is postage to the UK for the 5000 complete ??

I am asumming you are in the States

thanks

Peter

• 09-22-2009 8:20 PM In reply to

Do you still have this deck? If so give me a price and the cost to ship to Orlando Florida 32701 Thanks, Doug

• 09-22-2009 11:01 PM In reply to

I have several Beocord 5000s (one repaired via Dillen's new bands etc) and a Beocord 5500, so I agree with everything everyone else said especially Dillen's professional service.

I am sure I got the Beocord maintenance manual from the old Beoworld's equivalent of the gold membership.

But what I did with one of my beocords was place the insides of a laptop inside the case to create an MP3 player that was compatible with the look of my 5000 stack.  Sadly those pictures died with the Beoworld of two generations ago !

But perhaps you could think of using your case for a purpose such as that ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)