in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-14-2009 7:52 PM by elephant. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-12-2009 9:35 PM

iTunes Mixes

"iTunes Mixes" is a new feature of iTunes 9 that was announced last Wednesday.

I downloaded iTunes 9 on Thursday.

But the feature only appeared on my sidebar today (after an iTunes genius update).

Just in time for this Sunday's luncheon guests!

I now have 16 "tailored" mixes based on my library of 8.980 tracks, each seems reasonable groupings of "seed artists", e.g.

1/ Classical Mix: André Previn, Murray Perahia, David Hobson, "& others"

2/ Pop Mix: Kirsty MacColl, Katie Melua, Tenacious D [what ?!?!?], "& others"

3/ Pop Mix 2: Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, John Denver, "& others"

4/ Easy Listening Mix: Frank Sinatra, Michael Bublé, Nat King Cole, "& others"

5/ Rock Mix: Queen, The Who, Free, "& others"

6/ Pop Mix 3: Robbie Williams, Celine Dion, Pink, "& others"

7/ Pop Mix 4: Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Nina Simone, "& others"  <== now playing :-)

8/ Soundtrack Mix: Roger Woodward, Richard Robbins, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, "& others"

9/ Pop Mix 5: Carla Bruni, Edith Piaf, François Hardy, "& others"

10/ Rock Mix 2: The Kinks, The Small Faces, Dusty Springfield, "& others"

11/ Rock Mix 3: Rod Stewart, Joe Cocker, The Lovin' Spoonful, "& others"

12/ Pop Mix 6: Sarah McLachlin, Maroon 5 [what ?!?!?], Nelly Furtado, "& others"

Each mix is an icon made up from cover art in my collection (so there are some "blank" grey notes for missing art work) 

Here is what mix #7 has selected thus far (as captured in Last.FM), at this stage I am very happy with this new feature ...

Play Norah Jones – Nightingale 6 minutes ago
    The Dave Pike Set – Mathar (The Original Indian Vibes) 10 minutes ago
    Play Nina Simone – I Put A Spell On You 13 minutes ago
    Play Diana Krall – Only The Lonely 17 minutes ago
    Louis Prima & Keely Smith With Sam Butera & The Witnesses – Love Of My Life (O Sole Mio) 21 minutes ago
    Play Duke Ellington – Mood Indigo 24 minutes ago
    Play Miles Davis – All Of You 31 minutes ago
    Sonny Stitt – The Good Life 34 minutes ago
    Norah Jones – Above Ground 37 minutes ago
    Play Tommy Emmanuel – When You Come Home 42 minutes ago
    Play Diana Krall – I'm Pulling Through 46 minutes ago
    Play Erin Bode – I Walk a Little Faster 50 minutes ago
    Play J.J. Johnson – Our Love Is Here To Stay 53 minutes ago

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-14-2009 7:52 PM In reply to

Re: iTunes Mixes

By the end of the day the mixes had played without sequences repeating and only a few songs duplicated

But there were what I would call anomalies ... some songs in the mix jarred e.g. this sequence:

Play Erin Bode – You 13 Sep 2:24pm
    Morelenbaum? & Sakamoto – Coracao Vagabundo 13 Sep 2:20pm
    Play Glenn Miller – Moonlight Serenade 13 Sep 2:16pm
    Blood, Sweat & Tears – And When I Die# 13 Sep 2:12pm
    Marc Hunter – Night & Day 13 Sep 2:09pm
    Play Miles Davis – 'Round Midnight 13 Sep 2:03pm
    Play Norah Jones – Seven Years 13 Sep 2:00pm

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-16-2009 1:47 AM In reply to

( bumping my post because it got ended up requiring approval for some reason and so never made it on the day )

and my avatar has been updated to reflect a recent visit to a great museum in Seattle:

• "The Music Experience" --> I have a fantastic Jimi Hendrix shirt but need to lose weight so it will fit
    • "The Science Fiction Museum" --> I tried on the alien UFO sunglasses ;-)

I will post some B&O store pix elsewhere (i.e. here)

• 09-16-2009 1:52 AM In reply to

Just got iTunes Mixes working - very interesting at first glance!

• 09-16-2009 4:20 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I'm a fan of Genius, but actually, Genius Mixes didn't give me any satisfying mix, I will try again... Maybe my tastes are too eclectic??

• 09-16-2009 4:23 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Been using if for a few days now with positive results. Wonder if it compares to MOTS..

• 09-16-2009 6:37 AM In reply to

mbee:
    I'm a fan of Genius

me too ... and I will still probably use the original Genius for personal listening when I pick a particular song and then say "gimme more" !

but I think I will use Genius Mixes for things like background music when we have guests ..........

• 09-16-2009 11:49 AM In reply to

Like it more and more! Picking out tracks I had forgotten about! Jazz Mix on at present. Duke Ellington just following Django Rheinhardt. Eager to see what comes next!

• 09-16-2009 2:31 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter :

Like it more and more! Picking out tracks I had forgotten about! Jazz Mix on at present. Duke Ellington just following Django Rheinhardt. Eager to see what comes next!

Me too. I'm sure there'll be those that say "it isn't as sophisticated as MOTS", but who cares - the end result is the same.

Disappointed to see the "Browser" view disappear though (I know you can construct a similar "horizontal" browser view but I didn't see the need to change it).

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)