in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-12-2009 7:31 PM by wirralsimon. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-10-2009 12:29 PM

• BOF2BS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-04-2009
    • Posts 3
    • Silver Member

Beocenter 9000 +bits & pieces

I'm a new guy so bear with me if I breach conventions etc etc.

I am considering selling my 9000 rather than just looking at it!

Owned since new - likely1987- (serial # is 06342XXX). I honestly can't see any scratches so good condition in my view - all working - CD started wobbling 2-3 years ago & fixed by local retailer Terry Bird ie Bristol.

I've tried Iconic Lifestyle & Morethan who all say - don't resell this vintage. My preference would have been to go this route ie a retailer- question is are there any who will resell this vintage ie second division but reputable?

If so could I have contacts please

Also have same aged CX 50's somewhat neglected need at least cleaning. Also second hand to me S25's average to good and a floor stand for the Beocenter - metal 2 shelves + 1 to rest center on bottom shelf bit rusted! 

Price is another question - looking round the ebay world & discounting some excesses £350- £450 including the bits & pieces (guess £50-£100ish for them) or is this overoptimistic?.

Guidance appreciated

Excuse garbage below tried to add picture & can't get rid of extraneous references!!!!

Told you I'm new!!!!

• 09-10-2009 12:54 PM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 9000 +bits & pieces

The problem with the BC9000, which is a lovely device, is that the CD is no longer repairable ( practically for most people - I know we have a few electronic whizzes who probably can!) and when it goes, it rather makes the device a very large radio. As this is more likely the older it gets, Lifestyle and Morethan clearly feel that offering a product which might break and be unrepairable would not be fair to their customers.

However many still work fine and I don't think your price is unreasonable. It does rather depend on condition - big scratches make most B&O unsalable and you should check the woofer surrounds on the CX50s for foam rot. S25s are not a B&O highlight, being rather worse than the S22 that they replaced.

I removed the rubbish too! Smile

• 09-10-2009 1:00 PM In reply to

• BOF2BS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-04-2009
    • Posts 3
    • Silver Member

Thanks Peter most useful

• 09-10-2009 1:50 PM In reply to

I stopped selling 9000's at least 3 years ago. Peter is quite correct about the cd servo board problem (which is repairable) but omits to mention the little plastic widget and spring that is the cd clamping mechanism which is NOT repairable, no longer available as a spare part and will undoubtedly turn it into a big radio/cassette player!

As a trader, I am bound by law to provide a reasonable warranty and with that in mind it is simply not worth taking a chance with the BC9000 as it can only p*ss customers off when it fails and is un-repairable. It is not worth taking the chance.

They are worth £50-£100 for canibalisation for spare parts but that, I am afraid, is about all.

Similarly, CX50's and CX100's ALL get foam rot, there is no doubt. Again, as a trader, the only safe option is new woofers or "the mucky job". They are worth £50-£100 at very best and the skip otherwise.

Sorry if I have offended but this is the real world.

Regards Graham

• 09-12-2009 7:31 PM In reply to

If you are going to sell the dealer route will not work for you for the reasons above.

A 9000 can still fetch 2-300 on eBay if it is in good condition, if you take some time and care on the listing and take some nice photos. They can go for less though!

Simon

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)