in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-19-2009 3:35 AM by beofan. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-23-2009 4:13 AM

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Beolit radio - cleaning the panels

Quick question (I have done a search and cannot find mention of this earlier). Does anybody have a suggestion for the most effective way of cleaning the plastic panels of a Beolit radio without damaging them? I would like to get off some of the grim that has built up over 25+ years.

Thanks D

• 07-23-2009 1:08 PM In reply to

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

Re: Beolit radio - cleaning the panels

I cleaned a red beolit 600 some months ago and used different techniques. The radio had been used by a painter and was coverd by paint. I used washing-up detergent a dish brush and a tooth brush to get into the holes. I also used soap and steel wool and this did not leave any signs on the plastic. After some hours the plastic panels were like new. Try on the back of one of the panels before doing the real thing.

• 07-24-2009 11:50 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Hi there 

Thank you for this suggestion, I have already tried some detergent and a (soft) brush, but was wary of damaging the textured surface of the panels. It is safe to use wire wool when cleaning these parts? The panels are off a 700 series, not the later 707 with the Nextel finish (which I have, fortunately in a cleaner condition on a 707 in lovely 70s brown Smile ).

• 07-31-2009 7:46 AM In reply to

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

I was skeptic myself before using the steel wool. The brand was “svinto” which has soap on the wool which dissolves once it is dipped in some luke warm water and the resulting foam prevents scratches. On the box are pictures of different items like pots and pans, a stove and a plastic garden chair.  Maybe it is intended for use on plastic although the text on the box does not state that. I also used the steel wool “svinto” on the aluminum panels that were heavy stained and it removed the stains while all lettering was not harmed and the panels are now like new. Of course I do not dare to promise that this will not harm your item. I do not know if the same plastic is used.  It is real satisfaction when a beo in bad condition can be cleaned to look like new.  

Good luck and happy cleaning!

• 08-18-2009 12:46 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

After you've finished cleaning, spray some Silicon Spray on the plastic - it will enhance the appearance to like new.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 08-19-2009 3:35 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

yachadm:

After you've finished cleaning, spray some Silicon Spray on the plastic - it will enhance the appearance to like new.

Menahem

Thank you, that is worth knowing, would not have occurred to me to try that.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)