in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-28-2009 3:51 AM by Premiumverum. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-21-2009 5:23 AM

BG3000 tangential record weighing mechanism too strong

Hi all,

I have a BG3000 tangential with a small problem: the record weiging mechanism is too powerful, it will lift light/thin 33rpm LP's up a little bit, and then it won't know what to do with the record and not lower the arm, just move it in position and spin the record around.

Any ways to tweak this weighing mechanism?

Thanks!

CJLaughing

• 07-22-2009 8:41 AM In reply to

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-27-2007
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Re: BG3000 tangential record weighing mechanism too strong

Hello!

I also have a BG3000. The first problem was the record weighing mechanism for '45 stuck until played with some 10 times, then it succeeded playing singles. Later the problem escalated to what you described in your mail.The mechanism lifting also light 33 rpm records...not nice. My quick and dirty solution for this was to pick out the spring and simply tape down the '45 adapter to the platter.Now it never rises with 33 rpm records. Would be nice though to have the weighing mechanism working again but I have not found a cure yet.

• 07-26-2009 4:45 AM In reply to

Hi 1203,

Seems we're on our own with this one Wink

I might have found something but I am not sure it really has anything to do with our problem: I noticed my BG3000 also sometimes would not lift the arm and return to its rest position when the needle would get to the end of the record/run off groove.

Turned out a spring attached to a little arm inside the player that starts the returning of the arm when the end of the record is reached had come loose, rendering the arm unusable. Reattaching this spring solved it, and our common weighing problem also has not occured since.

I'd say, check it out, might be the cure!

Laughing

• 07-26-2009 6:14 AM In reply to

On the older radial decks there was a simple screw that altered the sensitivity of the weighing mechanism - interestingly I can find no reference to this in the later tangential deck manuals! It is probably still there though! Usually under the platter near the front and slightly to the right!

• 07-26-2009 3:31 PM In reply to

Hi Peter,

I quickly checked it out, no sign of a screw in the place you specified, nor near any visible component of the weighing mechanism...

Since the problem seems gone now I'm not going to try and take out wheels and stuff from inside the beogram and inspect the weighing mechanism, which is for a big part covered under these wheels, I don't want to risk breaking anything in there! however, if the problem continues and maybe escalates I'll get back to this.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway, and any other views on this problem are of course still greatly appreciated!

Laughing

• 07-27-2009 9:01 AM In reply to

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-27-2007
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Hello CJ,

can you pls put a photo of that spring part that solved your problem?

I've recently checked my BG3000 and it still lifts light 12" records a bit. And the weighing mechanism jamming when not used for a while. 

• 07-27-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

I'm afraid I don't have a camera...

But think of your BG's platter as a clock. underneath it, in the quadrant from 3 to 6 o' clock, there are two springs, a long and a short one.

The short one belongs to the arm of the muting switch handle.

The long one was loose on my BG, it should be put on a little plastic hook thingy just next to the small spring.

Good luck!

• 07-29-2009 9:28 AM In reply to

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-27-2007
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Hello Again!

Thanks for the tip!

I will be inspecting the two springs. Btw did some cleaning of the bottom of the BG seems to have changed things now I'm wondering if the fault  could be the spring beneath the 45' adapter...

• 07-29-2009 10:11 AM In reply to

Have you opened your BG up? Cleaning is a great idea, certainly in case something is stuck in hardened grease. Don't forget to relube with for example some silicone spray! The fault will probably be somewhere in the mechanism that does the pushing up of the 45 adapter.

Follow the handles and arms coming from the 'lifter' . The arms should extend to under the wheel that drives the carriage for the pickup arm, I think the fault might be there somewhere, probably some hardened grease or something, maybe there is a screw to set the lifting power. I'm not going to remove any wheels, afraid to break something and make trouble worse, but if you are brave enough to try... Wink

• 08-27-2009 8:48 AM In reply to

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-27-2007
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Hello!

I'm still struggling with this one. One improvement is made and that is that 45rpm singles now plays well, the adapter doesnt get stucked anymore. But on 33 rpm records the weighing mechanism is too strong on several records.

• 08-28-2009 3:51 AM In reply to

Hi!

Did you already try to open and clean out the entire weighing mechanism? Hardened grease seems to be a common fault and you can check the entire list of possible problems in the weighing mechanism, I can think of:

-hardened grease (easy to solve, very likely)

-broken or worn out component (not likely, not much strain on these things I'd say)

-bad setting of a control (but, is this controlled by a setting, afaik this is purely mechanical)

It's a lot of work, you need to memorize/write down how to put everything back together as you take it apart, but when finished and if the machine works again, the satisfaction will be immense :)

I can't help you any further, as my BG3000 went in the closet because I exchanged it for a BG2000 witch also works with the 3000 system, since the radial turntable gives me more of a 'record playing-feeling' than the beautiful and posh, yet a little sterile and too perfect for my taste BG3000 tangential. It hardly shows the spinning record, one of the great charms of playing LP's!

Again, good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)