in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-18-2010 1:04 PM by lausvi. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-16-2009 4:42 AM

Beogram CD 3300

Hi Every one,

I just bought a Beogram CD 3300, and all in all it's in pretty in good shape. All electronics are in perfect order, all displays are working  and it plays great. There is one little problem. when you hit the eject button  the lid starts to rise about 1/2 inch and seems to stick just a bit  until you give it a little nudge.

Then it opens up fine and closes fine.. Does anyone have any idea's as to what is causing  it to do this ? Is it possibly a lubrication problem. I  have no idea my self.

Again as always thanking you in advance.

jayzjayz ( George )

Filed under:
  • 01-16-2009 7:15 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Beogram CD 3300

It could be either the belt slipping on the motor which opens the lid (under the right hand side) or the assist spring on the left hand hinge which helps the motor with the opening.

I wouldn't think it would be a lubrication problem though unless a previous owner has been pouring oil on the mechanism and it has become gunked up, the design calls for little if any lubrication.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-16-2009 10:03 AM In reply to

Hi Chris,

Thanks a million for the advice Chris .another  question for you Chris,  now how hard is it to get too ?

I'm pretty good with mechanical things I fixed two  8000 series Beocord cassette decks with the help from this forum. So I would not mind trying my hand at this.By the way there are some great guys on this site .Any help with advice would be terrific.

Thanks again 

jayzjayz ( George )

• 01-16-2009 10:05 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

jayzjayz66:
     There is one little problem. when you hit the eject button  the lid starts to rise about 1/2 inch and seems to stick just a bit  until you give it a little nudge.

I have had this exactly same problem with both BGCD3000 I have seen so far.  I have tried to lub things but no help - I couldn't get new belts.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 01-16-2009 10:49 AM In reply to

Thanks for your reply lausvi, it seems we are in the same boat. But if you read Chris's reply to me you will see he stated that they don't barely use a lube on it at all.. Maybe we will get some help from others on this site.. Tell me did you open up the lid to get to the belt ? and if so,how do  you go about it?

Jayzjayz66

• 01-16-2009 2:12 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

jayzjayz66:

Hi Chris,

Thanks a million for the advice Chris .another  question for you Chris,  now how hard is it to get too ?

jayzjayz ( George )

Very easy to access, simply remove the bottom cover and everything is right there and accessible, you may need a TORX screwdriver though. Don't worry about opening it - nothing will fall out as everything is secured to the top half of the casing/chassis.

IIRC the assist spring can be located in any 3 holes so if you need to add tension simply unhook it and move it up a notch. Not 100% sure though as I've worked on several variants of this design but not one of these for a while.

The belt is only a small affair and I'm sure there's a generic one available from electronics suppliers such as video repairs suppliers etc....

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-16-2009 3:21 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

jayzjayz66:
    Tell me did you open up the lid to get to the belt ? and if so,how do  you go about it?

As said the bottom cover is removed but I can't really remember anything more specific. I think I couldn't see the problem and just added some lubrication to the parts seen.... As I use this BG very rarely (it has some cosmetic faults) I usually don't mind the lid not opening on the first try! 

The main trouble I had with the 3300 CD was that it doesn't recognize all the cd's or it goes nuts when changing tracks (with the ? on screen). I found out that the tape-made ring on the cd holder was a bit too thin causing the disc to be too low and preventing the laser to focus it correctly (my theory - no idea if thats true). I added small piece of paper to get the disc higher and it helped but still some ("real", not self burnt) discs are not recognized or they stop during the first tracks with the ? on the screen. Any ideas on that, anyone? 

• 02-17-2010 1:59 PM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

I have a Beogram CD 3300 which I haven't been using for some time. The other day I tried it and it had the same two errors mentioned in this thread, - lid doesn't open properly and cd just spins with display showing a "?"

As this thread is an old one I would like to ask: Did you solve your problems? If yes, how?

Other good advice to solve my problems is welcomed.

I think I'll start with cleaning the laser lens. What is the best way of doing that?

/riis

• 02-17-2010 3:38 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Cleaning the cd lens has been discussed here before but in general the tip has been to use a cotton bud and some isopropyl alcohol. Be gentle! Also cleaning-cds can be bought.

Check if the "ring" on which the cd is set to is in good condition, if it's not completely flat the disc might be a bit tilted.

My 3300 has been working somehow usably since the previous post, sometimes it doesn't see the disc and shows "?", also sometimes when skipping tracks. The lid opens sometimes without any trouble but not always. I remember reading that some sort of spring should be added to the lid mech. and I have even heard that it has worked.

• 02-18-2010 1:26 AM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Ville Laustela:

Also cleaning-cds can be bought.

I've heard many bad things about cleaning cds. Even heard that they can damage the lens, so I have never tried one. Can this be true?

/riis

• 02-18-2010 5:35 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hello,

It's true, a spring is missing and I think this is a design mistake: it is indeed present on CDX players.

As for the question mark, I solved this problem by resoldering a few dry joints on the PCB (in the servo area), you have to inspect it with a slide magnifying glass. 

Also I had a bad PSU relay (the one that links AC to the main PCB). My CD3300 even reads CD-RW, provided they were correctly (slowly!) burnt.

It sounds very good too, because the OP amps are NOT NE5532 chips, but better ones!

A few pics (thanks to Ville Laustela) and a video (the proof of the pudding) to show how this can be fixed. The spring you can see is the one from the CDX (checked on mine). 

Click here to play this video

Jacques

• 02-18-2010 1:04 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

chartz:

It's true, a spring is missing and I think this is a design mistake: it is indeed present on CDX players.

A few pics (thanks to Ville Laustrela) and a video (the proof of the pudding) to show how this can be fixed. The spring you can see is the one from the CDX (checked on mine). 

I don't know if it's a design mistake or not, sometimes the lid works (without the extra spring), perhaps it's just working on the limit and due aging it loses it's grip?

I got the pictures from some other Beoworld member by PM, can't remember whom, but the credit must go to him.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)