in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-23-2009 10:19 PM by Dave. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-23-2009 4:22 AM

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2009
    • Salisbury
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

B & O Highs and Lows

Went to the Proms last night - had a wonderful evening. Was thinking about the Beolab 9s. Then stepped out for a coffee in the interval and saw a pair of lab 9s and a Beosound 4. Everyone was impressed, I thought it was a sign and that I must get them. In short, it was a great evening, got back to the hotel and played the music I heard at the proms on my Serenata - A B&O High!

Then, this morning I woke up, turned on my Serenata and a whole line of pixels has gone white and no matter what I do (shut phone off, take out battery etc) remains the same. Has put me in a foul mood. Don't know what to do about it. Now I'm at work feeling totally cheesed off. A B&O low.

I don't know why I'm posting this. Just thought I'd share that with you. oh, and if anyone knows what to do about the line of missing pixels, I'd be ever so grateful.

Cheers,

Thomas

• 07-23-2009 4:53 AM In reply to

Re: B & O Highs and Lows

Just had a high and low myself. Bought an old Beomaster in superb condition. High.

Middle of night my Serene phone makes the pinging noise that it makes only when being plugged into or disconnected from the dock. (It was on the dock). Phone no longer seems to charge; looks like the charger in the dock failed in the night and the phone pinged as it recorded the disconnection. Low.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-23-2009 5:09 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thomas. How old is your Seranata?
    Even if out of warranty, your B&O dealer may come to some arrangement (especially if you order your Beolab 9s from him!)

Graham. Check the fuse in the plug socket first. Simple solutions are often overlooked!
    PS. where about in Liverpool do you live?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-23-2009 5:16 AM In reply to

Earlier this year I bought a Beogram 7000 and Beocord 7000 and finally my Beosystem 7000 was complete (high). I knew the Beocord had some issues and when I tried to fix it, I essantialy made it worse and broke the thing (low, and it's my own fault [:'(]) I'm looking for a working one and I promise I won't ever try to fix it again!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 07-23-2009 5:29 AM In reply to

Jandyt:

Graham. Check the fuse in the plug socket first. Simple solutions are often overlooked!

Andy T.

Hi Andy,

I'm usually in xxxxxxx L**. The plug socket seems OK and the plug/ transformer still gets quite warm, so I suspect that it's an internal dock fault. I've got a travel charger that I should be able to try out later today (it's gone travelling to the Wirral!) Just hoping that its not the phone itself. (The phone still recognises that it's plugged into the dock because the screen image still turns over.)

Graham

• 07-23-2009 5:56 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2009
    • Salisbury
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

Hi Andy T.

Good point - I should talk to my dealer about the Serenata screen issue. The thing is, I feel a bit guilty as I'd already bought this Serenata (about 4 months ago) from an Ebay seller. Unfortunately, and this is my fault, without a warranty. I then recently bought a BV8 40 at the low introductory rate with a free Beo5 AND a new Serenata! The problem is that the new Serenata is now (right now) on ebay - it's still in the box and with the security seal intact. I didnt have the heart to tell the dealer i already had one. Am I rambling, or does this make sense? I don't want to seem like a git, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, have been doing some research online and once a whole row of pixels goes, you need a screen replacement. I'll see if I can get that sorted - I'm happy to pay for it, if need be.

The reason I think this has been a particularly low point is that I'm in the process of selling my Beovision 6 20" on ebay - and I always find selling much-loved B&O stuff a bit painful. Thing is, I need to sell it to help fund the BV8 40...

I'm sure there'll be another B&O highpoint coming my way soon...

• 07-23-2009 6:15 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Thomas:

Went to the Proms last night - had a wonderful evening. Was thinking about the Beolab 9s.

IMHO, the speakers cause few problems. There's no 'sw' built into the BL3s or BL9s. My Beosound 4 has never caused me a single problem. In fact, nothing bought before 2007 has caused a single problem, for me. Everything bought in the last two years, seems to have caused some kind of (mainly sw-related) problem or has completely stopped working and needs a repair.

• 07-23-2009 6:40 AM In reply to

Oh, nice thread...

My B&O Low: After just getting my Beosound 3 back from the service (control panel wasn't working) that bugger just quitted service 2 months later (again the upper control panel was non-functional) ..

B&O High: While being in my fav. B&O store getting my Beosound 3 back I was thinking of buying a B&O TV (7-40) someday..... and 2 weeks later due to some very special circumstances (pricing & availibility) I finally own a beautiful 7-40 on motorized stand with 7-4 attached.

AND I LOVE IT!!!!!

• 07-23-2009 7:00 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Stephan:

Love the avatar!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-23-2009 9:12 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

i have to say the biggest low (disappointment) was when i laid my hands on my DVD1. The build materials are utterly c r a p. This machine feels like it cost £50 to manufacture. The front panel buttons are just horrendous and i dread everytime having to press that flimsy plastic button to eject a disc.

High, is owning every other piece that i have (bar serene which is starting to feel like it's going to fail on me, feezing and such), especially the BeoLab 4000's, my absolute favourite B&O product.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-23-2009 9:49 AM In reply to

• beowhit
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brompton, Kent
    • Posts 26
    • Founder

B&O high: mounting my brand new BS9000 and hearng it through the Penta's - sheer joy, what a beautiful stereo

B&O  low: the very same BS9000 falling off the wall 2 weeks later, detroying a small table on the way down, a distance of 1.3m - oh no!

B&O high: finding out the BS9000 was undamaged - phew!

• 07-23-2009 9:58 AM In reply to

undamaged!!Surprise

• 07-23-2009 10:29 AM In reply to

BS9000 falling from the wall ??? Undamaged?? How high did you hang the system?

Sounds like you glued it to the wall :-)

@ puncher: Great movie & thanks :-)

• 07-23-2009 11:22 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2009
    • Salisbury
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

Wow - a BS9000 falling off the wall! To be fair, B&O stuff can be pretty fiddly to wall-mount - I remember trying to fit my answerphone to the wall once, that involved a few highs and lows...

But the fact that your BS9000 remained intact - what a result!

and yeah - love the clockwork orange avatar Stephan!

• 07-23-2009 11:26 AM In reply to

• beowhit
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brompton, Kent
    • Posts 26
    • Founder

I hadn't clipped it on properly and turned the radio on via the BS9000 as I couldn't find the remote, it must have been enough to dislodge it. It feel straight down, smashed the top off a coffee table and then fell forward on to a cushion - very fortunate! The front was undamaged and the edge that hit the floor left a long thin impression about 15mm deep in the wooden floor. I made a panicked call to B&O and they came out that afternoon and gave it the all clear, which was a relief as explaning it to the insurance company would have been embarrasing!

• 07-23-2009 11:55 AM In reply to

I'd instantly wet myself if I'd see my BS9000 falling off the stand, no joke :-)

While wiring my new 7-40 I had to unhang the 2 lower screws from the stand and was very nervous while doing that (sitting on the floor, the BS9000 above me) ...

You can thank your coffee table for stopping the fall a little bit. There was a BS9000 on ebay once with some falling damage and although the machine feals very sturdy it looked like a truck drove over it.

• 07-23-2009 1:28 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Thomas:

Then, this morning I woke up, turned on my Serenata and a whole line of pixels has gone white and no matter what I do (shut phone off, take out battery etc) remains the same. Has put me in a foul mood. Don't know what to do about it. Now I'm at work feeling totally cheesed off. A B&O low.

Thomas

Hmm....

This sounds like yet another indemic fault with a recent B&O product. I've seen a fair few Serenata's for sale on ebay recently with exactly this problem.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-23-2009 3:08 PM In reply to

High: I'd like to say turning my Avant on for the first time, but I remember so fondly the first time I saw B&o as a kid and the awe that has stayed with me ever since!

Low: Not too many, and I can't count non self-inflicted, so... it would have to be the time that I had loosened the lower glass panel to my BC9300 for servicing. Yep, you guessed it: I forgot and as I rotated the upper case assembly to the vertical, down it went smashing into bits! EmbarrassedSad

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-23-2009 3:18 PM In reply to

vikinguk:

Jandyt:

Andy T.

Hi Andy,

The plug socket seems OK and the plug/ transformer still gets quite warm, so I suspect that it's an internal dock fault. I've got a travel charger that I should be able to try out later today (it's gone travelling to the Wirral!) Just hoping that its not the phone itself. (The phone still recognises that it's plugged into the dock because the screen image still turns over.)

Graham

Apologies if this is starting to look like a phone maintenance thread!

Andy, the good news is that my Serene  will charge from the travel charger so it looks as though the dock is faulty. So as the phone itself is OK, my 'Low' is not quite as low as it was this morning!

Graham

• 07-23-2009 3:28 PM In reply to

My B&O high :  finally receiveing my BS9000 and beolab8000's.... they sounded sooooo perfect back then...

My B&O low : loosing them only months later in a divorce ....Needless to say B&O left a bitter taste and it took me a couple of years (8) for me to warm up to it again. Now I'm just a (though penniless) B&O addict like the rest of you guys .....Laughing

Cooldude

• 07-23-2009 6:28 PM In reply to

My B&O Lows: Nearly every single B&O needed service before I could even use them. The latest was getting into thinking Beolink and an extra Beovision could fit in. I kind of thought the AV9000 was cool so I go online and normally the price is around 630£ but there was a defect one with no remote for 115£. With the service the total ended around the 630£ anyway. I had the Beolink remote allready

My B&O Highs: The fun to travel around Denmark to get the units home or to Dillen for service. The joy of plugging them in after spending the day 8 hours by train after Dillen has done the work. Once its working every day is a joy in every sence of the word. Yes it does sound as good as it looks. Another high is the finding of X-tra speaker kits. 3 type 2047 and 1 Tvkit never used.

• 07-23-2009 7:07 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Recent B&O High:  My BS5 is in!

Recent B&O Low:  The BS5/BM5 has arrived, but the USB cable that connects the BS5 to the BM5 has not... so I had to look at those boxes for a very long week.

• 07-23-2009 7:30 PM In reply to

Dave:

i have to say the biggest low (disappointment) was when i laid my hands on my DVD1. The build materials are utterly c r a p. This machine feels like it cost £50 to manufacture. The front panel buttons are just horrendous and i dread everytime having to press that flimsy plastic button to eject a disc.

High, is owning every other piece that i have (bar serene which is starting to feel like it's going to fail on me, feezing and such), especially the BeoLab 4000's, my absolute favourite B&O product.

Oh Yeah! My low must be the DVD1 I purchased two weeks ago, the one that lasted 45minutes...! Ruined movie night.

High is placing a new CD in the BS9000, sitting down in the sofa with a cold beer, selecting "CD" on the remote and hear the BL5's come alive. It's almost heavenly.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 07-23-2009 9:49 PM In reply to

Low: Getting several thousands of dollars off a pair of floor model BL5 only to find out that the store had sold them to someone else after they had promised them to me.

High: Getting a brand new pair of lab5s for the same price as the floor models because a promise is a promise.  Love that B&O service!

Beolab 5, beolab 3, beolab 4000, beosound 9000

• 07-23-2009 10:19 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

beoinbuff:

High: Getting a brand new pair of lab5s for the same price as the floor models because a promise is a promise.  Love that B&O service!

SWEET! Big Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)