in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-24-2009 12:27 PM by Peter. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-24-2009 5:50 AM

Sound quality difference in beograms

Hi,

I recently bought (but not received yet) a Beogram 5005 with the MMC4 cartridge on eBay. I am wondering over the sound quality over the 5000 model (and other higher-range b&o turntables). I hope I haven't made a mistake in rushing to buy the 5005. I'd like some opinions on the matter. 

This is my first post, btw and congratulations to the forum, this is an amazing source of information!

• 07-24-2009 7:17 AM In reply to

Re: Sound quality difference in beograms

Hello Rhuantavan !

First welcome to the forum, and congratulation on your new toy !

You will be delighted with your BG5005, recently I listened same turntable with my friend and I was surprised with the results. I have older model BG 1202 and certainly bg5005 sound better ...

But it is important which amplifier/receiver you use ...

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 07-24-2009 7:47 AM In reply to

There is nothing wrong with the BG5005, especially if the stylus is in good condition. Some of the older turntables are rumoured to sound better but I must say that when I owned the BG4000, I couldn't hear that much difference.

The 5005 has the advantage that it will probably be reliable whereas you may spend most of your time fixing the older ones!!

Regards Graham

• 07-24-2009 8:43 AM In reply to

Thanks for the replies guys, I feel better already about my purchase. ;)

Now the question is, what amplifier should I match it to? I currently have an old stereoscope amp.

• 07-24-2009 12:27 PM In reply to

I prefer the 4000 and 8000 series of decks - I think the 4000 in particular has better bass and is just so much better built! However the 5005 is as good as any of the later tangential decks.

I would suggest you get a Beomaster 5000 as this is the best sounding of the range - if you want to use the modern remotes, a Beomaster 5500 is the choice.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)