in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-05-2009 3:52 AM by deaddruid. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-03-2009 8:00 AM

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Cables cut off

Every so often, I see adverts on ebay for B&O equipment, where the cables have been cut off. There is normally a claim that the installation was too complex to dismantle, so the leads were cut. Are these ads genuine, or are they likely to be stolen goods?

Mark

• 11-03-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

Re: Cables cut off

... stolen ...

• 11-03-2009 10:14 AM In reply to

Usually I'd suppose so as well. But there are legitimate ways for the cables to end up cut - think for example wall mounted speakers, where the power & signal cables have been built into the wall. Same with televisions, the power cord may have been originally taken off at the TV end, perhaps a longer cable put through the channeling and reinstalled so you can't simply pull it out. Now when someone is moving for example and want's to sell the gear instead of leaving it behind or having it reinstalled at the new place, the fastest way is to simply cut the cords. Remember that much of the B&O target audience will not touch such installments themselves, they have to pay someone to do it...

Many people also have a peculiar habit of snapping the cords of equipment that doesn't work, and some services do the same for gear that may be electrically unsafe for some reason (and then it ends up at some online auction as "untested due to missing cables", which you can safely assume to mean "doesn't work").

-mika

• 11-04-2009 4:10 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Yes, that's the explanations that are normally given. I guess it's a matter of assessing how trustworthy the seller appears to be.

Thank you for your thoughts, guys.

Mark

• 11-04-2009 8:02 PM In reply to

ask for both ends of the cables ... I had one once and it was clear from that evidence that it had been a "through the wall" installation

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-05-2009 3:52 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Good idea, although I guess the far end is only likely to be available for a short time. It's a good piece of advice - make sure you keep both pieces to support the sale.

Mark

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)