in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-13-2007 6:20 PM by Beology. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2007 1:34 AM

Airport express vs B&o for wireless

I am sure this would have been discussed before on the old forum but i can't find the info I am looking for on the new site. I have a BS9000 hooked up to lab8000s with airport express to my 9000. I was happy with the sound until I compared the sound quality with the original CD in the 9000. Doesn't seem to make a difference if I import at 320kbps or use uncompressed AIFFs. There is always a bit missing compared to the CD in the machine.
    I assume others have found the same. 
    How does the B&O wirless setup compare with airport express? Is it better as far as preserving the sound quality?
    Id appreciate any feedback 
    Thanks
    Justin
  • 06-09-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Re: Airport express vs B&o for wireless

I haven't listened to B&O wireless so I cannot say for certain.  I would truly hope B&O can do a better job than a $150 Apple device.  The DAC in the AE is the weak link (what do you expect for $150?).  If you want better sound: a) buy a quality DAC and connect the optical out of the AE to the DAC and DAC to AUX (I think the user "Soundproof" has done this... or maybe he has it connected directly to his Mac), b)  Get a BeoPort and use a wired connection (my current choice) or c) investigate B&O wireless.  The feedback I've read on the forum with respect to B&O wireless have mostly been complaints about interference.

Stan
  • 06-09-2007 3:41 PM In reply to

Too bad the digital connection on the BS9000 is output only.

As Stan says, you have a couple of options.

The Airport Express (AE) is digitally transparent if you use its optical TOSLINK minijack output, unfortunately the BS9000 doesn't accept that signal. I would recommend buying a LAVRY DA10 stand-alone Digital-to-Analog converter.

http://www.lavryengineering.com/productspage_da_10.html

You can connect the Toslink optical cable to that, and then run a pair of RCA PHONO wires to the Extra Equipment connector on the BS9000, using a 5-pin DIN-to-RCA PHONO converter plug.
    To get the best possible signal, you should try to get an integrated 5-pin DIN to RCA PLUGS cable, in order to eliminate a junction - the fewer the better. Like this one:
    http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/acatalog/5_Pin_DIN___Phono_Cables.html 

With this setup I guarantee you'll hear a difference between AIFF and compressed files -- but most of all: you won't believe your ears.

With quality cables (don't go overboard here, just make sure they are of an acceptable standard) and the LAVRY DA10 this will run you to about  € 1400.

I assure you it's worth it. 

• 06-13-2007 6:20 PM In reply to

Thankyou Soundproof. Very good info. I appreciate it!

JR
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)