in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-28-2009 10:44 PM by Dave. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-28-2009 3:50 PM

The impossible task of getting the tone right in a post

Looking at some recent (and not so recent) postings some contributors easily take offence at the comments made by others. This is unavoidable to some extent due to the nature of discussion threads. Emails are equally open to misinterpretation or are read in a different context to that intended by the sender.

In my first role as a young engineer I worked for a then world famous 'Consulting Engineer.' The company had been founded 150 years ago, but as late as 1980 letters were still being signed 'Yours very truly', or for some clients 'Your Obedient Servant'! You didn't write in your own name but had to write as if you were a Partner (who would actually send the letter out signed in the name of the engineer who had been dead for a century!) All of this meant that only essential letters were written, and everything was very carefully thought out so as to not be open to misunderstanding and not to cause offence. Allowing for the typing pool backlog, letters might not appear for signature until several days later............... You used a carbon copy memo book for recording internal exchanges. I'm sure anyone who worked for a large company pre 1985 knows where I'm coming from.

Now we all dash things off on the keyboard, sometimes expecting an instant reponse and often getting a totally unexpected reaction.  On Beoworld often another message has appeared by the time we post, making the whole thread look odd to say the least. Criticism of B&O too often seems to become personal criticism of someone else's choice of equipment.

Discussion board threads often read a bit like the 'Stream of Consciousness' style of writing with the occasional bit of good advice thrown in. Beoworld is better than most. Despite the personal misunderstandings evident in some posts, the overall tone is positive and the information is mostly accurate. Does everyone agree? (And no rude  remarks about my quill pen  whilst you respond to a totally unintended interpretation of this post!)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-28-2009 4:12 PM In reply to

Re: The impossible task of getting the tone right in a post

On the whole, I think this site manages very well. I have yet to discover a more courteous and friendly place on the Internet which is a huge credit to all the members. Certainly makes moderating an easier job!

• 06-28-2009 4:28 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

vikinguk:

Looking at some recent (and not so recent) postings some contributors easily take offence at the comments made by others. This is unavoidable.

I'm not sure how many of you use forums, but I use many and am responsbible for moderating our companies magazine forums. Maybe I approach forum discussions very differently from others. It's easy to be offended on a forum and, if you're somewhat straight-talking (like I am), people take that really personally - as if it's directed at them.

Two things I'd say:

1) Most things aren't personal, even if they seem personal. In my posts about being disappointed with the BV7-40 MKIV, I'm disappointed with B&O and their lack of personal response. They aren't taking any direct responsibility, apart from via a dealer. If they dealer gets that relationship wrong, B&O still don't want to know. That's almost criminal in this market, in this recession. We're passionate about B&O and this passion can show through our disappointment. Not anger. Disappointment.

2) I don't really care if someone gets personal with me on the forum, to the point of offense. It's just a forum! It's just their opinion. I'm 99.9% sure if they met me in person, they'd understand. I have enough to worry about in my day-to-day life, than worrying about how I'm viewed across various forums, worldwide.

On a sidenote, as Peter said, this forum is generally very polite and polices itself well. Anyone seen a football forum? Talk about passion. It's rare to see a post without a swear word ;)

• 06-28-2009 10:44 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

On the whole, I think this site manages very well. I have yet to discover a more courteous and friendly place on the Internet which is a huge credit to all the members. Certainly makes moderating an easier job!

I showed a friend this site and that's prertty much how he described it. It's a warm and friendly place, a credit to the members. Every other forum i've been on has been crass, and always had someone shouting abuse or derrogitory comments..

(we just need spell check) Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)