in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-23-2009 4:06 AM by js. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2009 5:49 AM

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Connection problem with Beocenter 9500

I recently (for the first time) connected an external source to my Beocenter 9500, i.e. a non-B&O external CD/DVD player, using a high quality RCA-DIN adaptator. Of course I made the connection when the system was unplugged from the mains. I have no other device connected, except a pair of Beolab 8000 through Power Link.

I have the following issue: when I switch from the external player to an internal source (CD, Radio or Tape) without switching the external player off to standby, I hear both sources at the same time through the speakers (the volume of the external source is somewhat lower but significantly audible). The same occurs irrespective of the socket (I tried Tape2 and Aux) and irrespective of the external source (I tried several external sources).

Does anyone have an idea of where the problem comes from and how to solve it? Thanks a lot in advance. Kind regards, js

• 06-19-2009 8:09 AM In reply to

Re: Connection problem with Beocenter 9500

Hi:

I think this is almost certainly a shielding issue - you are picking up both sources because despite the cable being "high qualty" it is not insulated enough. This happens with TVs too, if you have a cable box and a DVD player one image ghosts on top of the other unless you turn one of them off.

To be honest the cheapest option is just to turn the external player off when not using it - you could buy a newer cable and/or there is a way of earthing the current cable by cnnecting one of the pins to an earth/ground (I am sure there is a thread about this on here some place. However, probably far less effort to just do what you are doing currently.

Thanks

Graham

• 06-19-2009 8:37 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Despite I think am using a high quality cable (this cable worked fine with a Beosound 9000), I am open to admit the opposite. But that would mean that there is a signal quality issue occuring between the external source and the socket. And I am not sure this (potential) signal quality issue is the cause of the problem. Indeed, the signal from the external socket is mixed with the signal of the internal source. As any signal coming from the external sockets should be ignored when an internal source is selected, it looks like the problem occurs between the socket and the pre-amp. Any idea? Thanks, js

• 06-22-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Nobody, really? Cheers, js

• 06-22-2009 2:18 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Bearing in mind that I am not a rechie, this is just a suggestion.
    If you are using Tape 1 or 2 sockets, doesn't it work both ways so that a signal can go out as well as in?
    Could it be that the pins in the DIN plug may need swapping round?
    Maybe the third diagram on this page would be of interest.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-23-2009 4:06 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Thanks, Andy, I will check this one. Cheers, js

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)