in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-30-2009 5:25 AM by moxxey. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2009 5:57 AM

Exchange BeoSound 9000 for BeoSound 5

I have got a new BeoSound 5 brochure today and have got the chance to see the new BeoSound 5 in flash by my dealer. I think design loos good and think about selling my BeoSound 9000 MKIII and buy a new BeoSound 5 which I will connect to a new i-mac 24".

Another option would be keeping BeoSound 9000 and buy BeoPort to connect BeoSound 9000 to the i-mac. This would give more sources (CD playback, terestrial radio, internet radio and mp3 playback).

The decision is hard to sell BS9000 which is a real icon of B&O. So what would you do? Are CDs and terestrial radio (which I get via cable at the moment) realy obsolete?

Would there be only digital internet radio and mp3 players in the future? What do you think? I have asked similar question already here but now as more people know BeoSound 5 and had the chance to pla with it in flash, perhaps there are other opinions.

There is also said in the brochure of BeoSound 5 that it can support WMA, MP3, WAV and AAC formats as well as picture formats such as JPEG, BMP, GIF and TIF. Does this mean I can see pictures shot with digital camera via BeoSound 5 controler?

• 01-08-2009 6:58 AM In reply to

Re: Exchange BeoSound 9000 for BeoSound 5

I would definitely stick to beosound9000 and link it to the imac via beoport. Complete the setup with an ipod touch and you get full and easy remote control of the setup, also in linkrooms if relevant.

I think it would make sense design-wise (although this might be highly subjective), feature-wise (cd-radio, although this also might depend on whether the beomaster5 would be attached to a beovision, in which case you could get access to your photo library - please note you cannot see photos on the beosound5 that is only a controler), and economicaly (save a great amount of money to get some other beo gear, in link rooms for example, or whatever you may fancy).

Also, as surprising as it might sound, I think it would be more futureproof. I think it is much easier and cheaper to upgrade or change your imac than upgrade the beosound/beomaster 5.

Just my 2cts

Christophe

• 01-08-2009 8:51 AM In reply to

This totally depends on your listening habits. If at this point you have already migrated mostly to digital music, you might well enjoy the BeoSound 5. If you still listen primarily to CDs and can't quite imagine the thought of discarding them, then attaching a BeoPort might be just enough digital music in your life. 

Either way, both audio systems are relatively future-proof for what they do CDs will always be CDs, even after they're barely produced just like terrestrial radio will likely be around in some form for the rest of our lives. 

Of course the BeoSound 5 is just a computer and monitor. New audio format? New codec. Install it and you're done. It supports audio, video, IP radio, and photo management. These are all the digital entertainment tasks that you'd need 15 years from now. So just as better CD transports have emerged since the BeoSound 9000 was designed, better DACs, better wireless stability, etc. may develop in coming years, but the BeoSound 5 will continue to be just as relevant among new technology as the BeoSound 9000 has been.

Again, though, really down to what you listen to. One of the happy problems with Bang & Olufsen is the emotional attachment we form to the products which makes them stay with us longer than they're truly useful sometimes.  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-08-2009 10:33 PM In reply to

Dear TripEnglish:

Any thoughts on why the BeoMaster 5 has so little built-in space?  I doubt it is because of cost.  

I think at minimum its needs twice the current allotment, 500GB.  I know that its capacity can be expanded via the USB but that's not an elegant solution.  

B&O needs to address this issue promptly.  It is serious matter when contemplating getting one.  Plus, it would should just how serious B&O is about the digital era.  More importantly, it would indicate that they understand the need for extra space considering the BS 5's capabilities. 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 01-08-2009 10:48 PM In reply to

I checked in on my own music collection. Mostly recorded at 320kbs with a few lossless. 36 gigabytes. I could start playing music and it would play for about 20 days before having to repeat. I could, in fact, increase the size of my music collection by 13 times for a total of 6,500 albums before I'd run out of space on the BeoMaster 5. So I guess if you have 6,550 CDs you may have a problem. But if you only own roughly six and a half thousand albums you should be fine.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-08-2009 10:56 PM In reply to

Dear Trip:

True, music, even at 320kbs, does not take a lot of space.  But when we start adding pictures and what not, the space disappears rapidly.  

What about redundancy?  I could not tell from the current specs if BS/BM 5 makes copies of all the data.  It would not be a pleasure to have to reinstall all of that data.  You said the thing is a computer.  As such, the one lesson one learns sooner or later with computers is the need & responsibility for back ups.

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 01-08-2009 11:08 PM In reply to

Pictures take up significantly less space than music. So after some quick math, you can store about 60 high quality photos for every 1 song. So at an average of 10 songs per album and 6,500 albums worth of space, you would have room for many many photos without asymptotically approaching a full hard drive. In fact, if you were to reduce your album collection to a mere six thousand albums, you would have enough room left over for three hundred thousand or so photos.

As for most computers needing back-up, all data is stored on a drive in what is essentially a computer. Whether it's a Mac, a BeoMaster, an AppleTV, a Sonos, a Sooloos, a Kaleidoscape, etc. Your CDs could also be be lost in a flood or fire. Things can be lost. It is the nature of them that such can be true. So BeoMaster 5 is no different. If you want to be extra safe, set up a backup drive with a macro to make copies for you. This is easy to do and the very minimum investment in time to preserve your six and a half thousand cds with no optical disc backups. Should not be any trouble.   

• 01-09-2009 4:09 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Pictures take up significantly less space than music. So after some quick math, you can store about 60 high quality photos for every 1 song. So at an average of 10 songs per album and 6,500 albums worth of space, you would have room for many many photos without asymptotically approaching a full hard drive. In fact, if you were to reduce your album collection to a mere six thousand albums, you would have enough room left over for three hundred thousand or so photos.

As for most computers needing back-up, all data is stored on a drive in what is essentially a computer. Whether it's a Mac, a BeoMaster, an AppleTV, a Sonos, a Sooloos, a Kaleidoscape, etc. Your CDs could also be be lost in a flood or fire. Things can be lost. It is the nature of them that such can be true. So BeoMaster 5 is no different. If you want to be extra safe, set up a backup drive with a macro to make copies for you. This is easy to do and the very minimum investment in time to preserve your six and a half thousand cds with no optical disc backups. Should not be any trouble.   

Hi Trip, good calcs on the music bit, but the photos isnt right, each photo I have is around 5mb, therefore 60 of them is 300mb, some albums have thousands of photos, and although you wont need them all there, you can get my point.

Videos? each at 700mb...

• 05-21-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

was having a further think.

just spoken to a mate who worked at the BBC in London and CDs are steadily on the way out for sure (he thinks more and more record stores will become obsolete )and although he's not a fan of B&o like me has recommended i get the sound 5 soonish. i think there are some reasons i can identify:

1. trading up or part-exchanging now whilst i can get a reasonable amount for my Beosound 9000 now is better than 3-5 years from now when it won't be worth anywhere as much as now.

2. the sliding clamp is so sexy but loading and unloading CDs is irritating.

3. i want to hide my CDs away from my lounge and with the cover art on beosound 5 that's a cool thing.

4. instead of burning compilation CDs on my laptop i can just make compilations on the Beosound 5 or use the MOTS which is so good there's 2 patents pending internationally.

5. i'm no longer confined to just FM radio on the Beosound 9000 and can listen to anything on the net on Beosound 5 using my Wifi unit rather than connecting it to my laptop.

6. Connecting my laptop to my Beosound 9000 for listening to itunes, net  music is not an elegant solution.

7. Instead of copying my friends CDs when they visit onto a CD without sleeve i can just download it onto the Beosound 5 with the album cover art.

8. The red unscrolling display on the beosound 9000 is looking dated...very dated now.

9. No moving parts unlike the Beosound 9000 which is one big moving part.

i really welcome people counter arguments rather just me getting carried away with my own justifications. the sound 9000 is cool but i am becoming increasingly conflicted...

perhaps the next progression is a new beocenter that does the same as the new beosound 5 but holds DVDs, blu rays, lossless uncompressed music all in one, downloads films off the internet...perhaps buying a beosound 5 is a bad choice given the likelihood of this system in the next few years the way technology is going...

what do you think?

• 05-21-2009 7:09 PM In reply to

I had just started a long reply then lost it…let’s try again..grrrr

Just spoke to a friend who used to work for the technical department at the BBC in London. He has advised me to upgrade soonish to the Beosound 5 from my Beosound 9000. He is certain from what he can see that CD sales will start to fall to the point more and more record stores close – the recent sales figures confirm this…

Here are some reasons for me upgrading – I would love your opinions and the more counter the better. It’s easy for me to get carried away with my own views and make a big purchase. The Beosound 9000 is so very cool but have a think about these points:

Beosound 9000 is worth something at the moment on part-exchange and independent sales but in 3-5 years when people have moved more largely away from CDs it will be worth a lot less.

Beosound 9000 display which doesn’t scroll is looking dated..very dated.

Beosound 5 has little to no moving parts whereas the Beosound 9000 is one big moving part.

Beosound 9000 requires a lead to an ipod or a laptop for net.music or if I have party and a friend brings CDs around – having a laptop in the same room as a B&O equipment is not an elegant solution.

Beosound 5 allows me to finally get rid of my CDs from my lounge but still have the album cover art on its display.

I love the Beosound 9000’s iconic design but I hate loading and unloading CDs especially as my Beosound 9000 is mounted vertically on a stand and there is just a small gap and sometimes need to crouch down for discs 4-6.

I want to listen to music from around the world and Beosound 5 connected to my WiFi is so smart and intelligent without resorting to a laptop connected to a Beosound 9000.

I no longer need to copy CDs from my friends onto a blank recordable CD on my laptop and then not have any album cover art as I do with my Beosound 9000. With the Beosound 5 I can just download their CDs on to Beosound 5 with the album art work.  Very simple and elegant solution.

But I have a sneaky suspicion that in a few years B&O will make a movie version of the Beosound 5 that will download movies off the internet and be able to hold hundreds of DVDs or Blu-rays, and all the music the Beosound 5 does on a similar hard-drive display system….

What do you think I should do – stick with the Beosound 9000 or make the jump to the Beosound 5????

• 05-22-2009 1:18 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

The BS9000 has an Aux port, AM and FM radio as its called here. All available in a link room. Plus the 6 cd's and a digital connection...I have decided a BeoSound 5 would have to be an addition to the BS9000.....  Not sure I can afford this model though...

I would hope B&O are looking at options to extend the hard disk, attend to link rooms and photos but who knows....

beoaus

• 05-22-2009 4:53 AM In reply to

Hello

same dilemma here. 2 unsolved questions:

- What to do with my CD library (around 1'200 CD's)

- Where to buy Music. iTunes Songs i bought so far are copy protected,  difficult playable on BS5. What about quality. Does iTunes live up to the BS5 Quality?

iPod hooked up to BS 9000 is a much cheaper solution.

Is the sound quality of BS5 really much better than an iPod (I know there are differences between the models - iPod classic being the best)?

One really cool feature of BS5 are internet radios. Appearantly, Struer has it's own streaming server.

Michael

• 05-22-2009 5:15 AM In reply to

are there any dear members that have taken the jump?

does anyone have a Beosound 5 after owning a Beosound 9000???

Smile

• 05-22-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Yes,

i had a 9000 and now own the fabulous BS5 !

I'd really LOVE my BS9000 but now, i ADORE my BS5 ! Big Smile

These are 2 different machines, one for the glory of the CDs and the other to enter the world of digital music with class.

I'm really happy with my BS5 and don't regret the 9000.

I think what i found in the BS5 is what you want : no more CD boxes in the lounge, a very easy access to the music, so many internet radios, a superb sound in lossless and the magic of the wheels and the interface...

Go for it...

• 05-22-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

How is the soundQuality?

Is it better than the beosound9000.

• 05-22-2009 1:01 PM In reply to

steph, THANK YOU for posting and letting me know. so you were in my boat and have no regrets. is yours desk top or stand mounted??

i just saw the beosound in the flesh and i am deeply impressed with the unit. it is smaller than i thought. my only thought is that part of the design is seeing machines moving elegantly - the clamp of the bs9000 and the wings of bc2 but with the bs5 it's a black box with an nicely weighted dial on the rigth side. the impressiveness nature of it is more in its opeartion/use than its looks across the room.

i was very seriously thinking of trading my bs9000 for a bc2 but now i'm not so sure and am leaning more to a bs5 and suing my old DVD1 for movies... yes, i agree i'd lobe to get rid of my CDs from my lounge. its so much faster and elegant turning that smooth dial and clicking in a few seconds. i love that you can listen to thousands of radio stations from around the world. the MOTS will change the way i listen to music forever should i decide to buy the Bs5...

is your Bs5 on a floor stand or on a table (where do the cables run if it were to sit on my table)?

• 05-22-2009 1:48 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Steph,

Did you get rid of your BS9000, or do you have both?

I'm in a similar situation.  I'm thinking of dumping my BS9000 for the BS5, but my wife thinks I'm crazy (and she's usually correct Smile).  She wants both (great woman!), but my bank account is leaning toward just one.

Stan

• 05-22-2009 3:23 PM In reply to

I bought the BS9000 knowing the BS5 was on its way. I think its a very personal decision. Those that have owned the BS9000 for a while I imagine would want to take the next step, it makes sense and I am sure I probably would too. But in my case, the BS9000 had been a dream product so it was like an 'ambition' that I had to fulfil. I love it. I also love the BS5 and i think its so hard to choose between the two. I think the good news is that you won't make a mistake whatever you choose! I was also quite suprised at how small the BS5 is but I think wall mounted, with a lot of open space around it, it would make a real statement ... 'less is more' type philosophy. Very impressed with it though from a design perspective especially. I will almost certainly own one someday, but I will be enjoying the BS9000 for many more years to come. It always creates such a talking point which gives enormous credit to the designers and engineers of that product all those years ago. I love B&O for this truly wonderful creative thinking.

Simon.

• 05-23-2009 2:55 PM In reply to

i know the beosound 9000 makes friends and visitors go "wowwwwww!" when they see that clamp fly up and down.

i'm not convinced that the beosound 5 is anywhere near as impressive. if you're not into hifi or b&o i wonder if it looks like a fancy central heating control or a fancy light switch...!

• 05-23-2009 3:02 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I don't really buy my kit to make others go 'wow'. Almost no-one does. I have to point out the BL5s to people and they simply say 'they're big!'. Maybe the people who come around my place aren't so fickle to be wow'ed by a 6-CD product from the mid-90s? To be fair, it's been around a bit. It's hardly new.

• 05-23-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

b&o are known for their design around the world but 5 years 'design' and all they can come up with a black box and a dial embedded into it...??

• 05-23-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

How would you do it any better? The design and functionality appears to have gone down well. Sure, it's a bit too expensive, but it's designed well.

Simply buy what makes *you* happy, not what will, potentially, make others say 'wow'. I can't see how a 13-year-old product can 'wow' anyone anymore. Walk around Bath and BS9000s are fairly common in various retail stores. Unless someone has been in solitary confinement for 13 years, I can't see how they can be wow'ed by it in 2009.

• 05-23-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

In fact, i sold my BS9000 1 year ago and waited for the new BS5, the buzz was big on BeoWorld !

I've waited a long time but i'm not worried.

I wanted to enter the full digital world and i'm really happy with this product.

I've chosen the table stand and hidden the cable behind a console and the BM5 in the BS2 cabinet.

Maybe after my Home Cinema will be ready, i would buy the floor stand, so elegant !

• 05-24-2009 5:18 AM In reply to

i can see that a few of you have made the jump from the beosound 9000 to the beosound 5.

it's functioning is impressive and i agree it enters the digital era better than anything else out there. i hate the way the ipod has multiple options that you have to navigate to and fro through. i think trip described it as getting lost in rooms branching off one another. the bs5's navigation is fantastic and i lovge the flying covers. perhaps the only other remedies would be a song search function. sometimes i yearn to listen to one song and itunes helps me to type in part of it as i can't remember the full name and more playlists. i have 7 or 8 playlists on itunes - rock, classical, r&b, 80s, disco, lounge...etc.

i suppose i just need time to accept the design and the way in my eyes in looks anorexic and weedy on the grey pole of a stand. the unit is much smaller than i expected. i am on the verge to part-exchange but veering to bc2 and i guess for me it's the aesthetics that's restraining me from going for it now....aesthetics, aesthetics,aesthetics....Unsure

• 05-24-2009 5:33 AM In reply to

You appear to have missed a viable option, a compromise if you will.

Dependent on your B&O TV, buy the Beomaster 5 and use the TV as an interface, stick with the 9000.  Vinyl was supposed to be dead years ago, I favour the CD personally and the 9000, serviced every 5-6 years is a masterpiece.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >