in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-28-2009 10:10 AM by wirralsimon. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-07-2007 4:39 AM

Any thoughts on the Beosound 1?

My father has been considering the purchase of a Bose Wave system as he wants something giving good sound that is portable within the home.

Reading online there is an awful lot of Bose-Bashing although the Wave Radio/CD seems to escape the worst of it. I certainly think he should consider other options as well.

The Beosound 1 appears to do exactly what he needs but trawling online I can find very little in the way of reviews, and a few inferences that it isn't that great but it does look really cool and the price is reasonable by B&O standards. I just want to know if is any good!

Does anyone here own a Beosound 1 or have you had a chace to have a proper listen to one, and has anyone heard both the Beosound 1 and the Bose Wave?

Simon

• 08-07-2007 4:57 AM In reply to

Re: Any thoughts on the Beosound 1?

Bose units produce their sound through an aural perception trick, through manipulating the reproduction of the sound. It is very effective, and clearly also quite convincing, judging by the success of the company.

I could be suspected of not being objective, as this is a B&O enthusiasts site, but BeoSound 1 is one of their finest products, and in my opinion clearly an improvement upon the Wave - both as an expression of craftsmanship, but also as to its sound. 

The BeoSound 1 has a truer, and flatter frequency response, producing a more naturally weighted sound.

Here's more on Bose sound: http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?p=419 

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

• 08-07-2007 5:22 AM In reply to

It is fine for what it offers - but cannot be regarded as great stereo due to the closeness of the speakers, has no LW and one cannot alter the treble and bass. I tested one a while ago and chose a Century instead which offered in my view slightly more facilities and better sound.
  • 08-07-2007 5:54 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

BS1 is a fine unit and is perfect for smaller rooms at not too high volumes. I'd say that it suits dinging rooms, kitchens or bedrooms. But it should not be used as a real stero system, as it does not offer a real stereo image.

If your father wants something really portable, get him to try out the BS3. I know it can't compete the BOSE system or a BS1, but it is very easy to use, really portable and offers a decent sound...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 08-07-2007 5:56 AM In reply to

Peter:
    It is fine for what it offers - but cannot be regarded as great stereo due to the closeness of the speakers, has no LW and one cannot alter the treble and bass. I tested one a while ago and chose a Century instead which offered in my view slightly more facilities and better sound.

I think that if I had to choose between a BeoSound 1 and a Century, I might have done as you have. Here, fortunately, the choice is between that and the Bose Wave! 

===

And to prove my objective eye. Much as it pains me, I would choose an AudioPro Porto over the BeoSound 3. Connects to iPod, has remote control, radio stations, and Line INs for other sources. The battery does not last as long as the BeoSound 3's.

• 08-07-2007 7:12 AM In reply to

• Beo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hello, i am a new user of beosound 1 too, and i own beosound 3 also.

beosound 1 is a great INDOOR portable system. Maybe I am not strong enough, I think I will prevent from taking it away from home. beosound 3 is a better choice is this aspect.

For sound, actually i bought BS3 before BS1, I feel beosound 1 is not that big improvement frmo beosound 3, except much richer sound and better bass. I do not mean beosound 1 is bad, but maybe beosound 3 is really out of expectation.

I have to admit that my beosound 1 is still within the first month, it is hard to see its full potential at this moment.

But anyway, I have tried many BOSE in their shops also. I am sure to say that B&O is much better in sound and beauty.

So my recommendations are:

a mobile system: beosound 3 ... except you want to hear a wide soundstage

a portable indoor system: beosound 1

if you do not mind to stay in one place, and if you have other source: beolab 4000

good luck

• 08-07-2007 7:47 AM In reply to

I found some comments on the B&O Community review site.

Maybe this could be of some help.

Bang & Olufsen

Posted 7/1/2007 3:59 PM (#13780)
    Subject: BeoSound 1

We are searching for good stories about your Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 1.

Mr. Steve Huff

Posted 11/1/2007 4:22 PM (#13887 - in reply to #13780)
    Subject: RE: BeoSound 1

I am new to the B&O world and my 1st purchase was a Beosound 1. I bought it from my local B&O store and the 1st one I recieved 9silver) had a dented grill and no instruction manual or packet inside. The dealer ordered me a brand new one in dark grey and a week later it arrived. This one was perfect but still, no manual packet or any paperwork at all was included. It was a brand new unit just delievered to my dealer! In any case, I also picked upa Beo4 remote and have been listening for a while now.

I recently moved to a smaller house and had to do away with my large, expensive ($22k) stereo system. I was looking for a one piece unit that sounded good so everyone told me to get a Bose wave music system. I did, but before Bose I tried several Ipod speaker systems like the Ipod HiFi, Sound Dock, etc. They were OK, but still di dnot satisfy my picky ear. On to the Bose Wave...at home it was thin, weak, and flat. It filled the room but the sound was not dynamic at all. It was overly smooth and it is because there are no tweeters, no woofers. Just 2 midrange paper drivers. I returned it for their larger system which was $1075 and it sounded worse than their smaller one even though it had a 3rd driver for bass. Loud, but muffled with no detail.

After the Bose fiasco I decided to try a traditional mini CD system. Tried a Denon which was overly bright and hard sounding. Then a JVC which sounded nice but had no volume. I spotted the B&O in the mall and tried it out. At 1st my wife preffered the Bose, but after more listening we fell in love with the Beosound 1. In Dark Grey it looks so nice. It's sleek, modern and the sound is AMAZING for something of this size. VERY dynamic, rich and can fill my whole house if needed. Once you hit past 62 on the volume it sounds a little harsh but it is LOUD. I usually listen at around 50-56 and its perfect.

I love the Beosound 1 and Beo4 remote. I also got it during the Christmas holiday sale at $1095 and it is well worth it and it KILLS the Bose systems small and large. This system is the best in its class. No other small, portable system comes close. B&O has style AND substance.

Mr. J.P. de Jong

Posted 15/1/2007 7:23 PM (#13970 - in reply to #13780)

I can add to the previous post, it's a perfect party animal.
    We had a street barbeque last year and there was the BS1 the main feature of the evening.

During setup I was asked what it was, only one speaker??
    When I told them it is a portable HiFi system (at first) no one would believe me.
    Then I connected an iPod to the A.Aux and played some slow songs at regular volumes.
    People found it a strange product, but accepted the music.

After a couple of drinks the sun set, and the music became more lively.
    At the end of the evening everyone was outrages and songs were played at (almost) maximum sound level.

During the evening I used the CD player to do some mixing. When I was looking for some good songs on the iPod, the CD player was on. And visa versa.

5 stars = value for money.
    4 stars = weight
    5 stars = music (till setting 62, above there is some distortion)
    5 stars = overall...

One small setback though.
    The earphone connection on the back is not without (white) noise.

Mr. james Lockyer

Posted 19/1/2007 6:33 AM (#14019 - in reply to #13780)

I recently purchased BS 1 from my local store. After listening to it
    for a while , I was very impressed with the tonal quality and dynamic range of the speakers. After being told that each speaker ( 5 ) had their own power amp. I understood why. I found the base a little limited for my ears and not sharp and robust enough. But the clarity and brightness of the high and mid- range freqencies was excellent and the vocals and string instruments made me feel like it was live in my room. I purchased the aluminum stand for it , which made it more versatile as a portable unit. ( even though I thought the stand too expensive ) its well made and looks good in the corner of my living room. I live in small apartment in a HI-Rise building downtown and the radio reception is better than the other two audio products I own. ( no brands mentioned ) I think this is one of the best products the company makes . and I would recommend it to any one who wants a versatile and portable sound system that rivals if not beats much larger ones.
    Thanks B&O , for an excellent product.

Mr. Tony Tse

Posted 24/3/2007 1:55 PM (#15115 - in reply to #13970)

What do you mean by "white noise" about the earphone connection you have said?

Mr. Tony Tse

Posted 24/3/2007 2:04 PM (#15116 - in reply to #14019)

James, Try your BeoSound 1 with the dark side of the moon cd by Pink Floyd and turn the volume to 60!!!!! For sure you have no regrets and what so ever during that 45 minutes of playing time

Mr Hiten Pabari

Posted 25/3/2007 6:26 AM (#15127 - in reply to #13780)
    Subject: Re: BeoSound 1

I am a poor student, and have been thinking about this as my 3rd B&O product. It really is an obsession. I now, regardless of money, would not purchase another brand. Since the release of the Beosound 3, I am now confused. It gives me something to think about, while I save up. If only one of them had DAB. What was the reason for not having this anyway? I really would liek to know.

And Dark side of the moon, is one of the greatest works of art ever made. Also try Beatles, all albums are good. And Wish you were here and the Wall. I have yet to listen to other Pink Floyd albums. Another is Led Zeppelin. WOW. My Beosound 2 always has one of the 3 artists mentioned, in full albums. (the way they were meant to be listened)

Edited by Mr Hiten Pabari 25/3/2007 6:29 AM

Mr. Tony Tse

Posted 31/3/2007 11:42 AM (#15221 - in reply to #15127)

Hiten, Even though i am quite sure that I am as poor as you, I have both the BeoSound 1 and 3, and this is what I think you should do my friend. Which is if you already have a BeoSound 2 don't buy a BeoSound 3 yet, go for a BeoSound 1, and the reasons are because I have been using it for four years already, I never have any regrets and what so ever about what i have bought, just make sure if it's brand new give the speakers some time to warm up first before you turning the volume higher than 50. Furthermore do you know that you can link up your BeoSound 2 to the Beosound 1? And that's what I do sometimes with my Beosound 3, as i will link it up to my BeoSound 1 and it sounds as good as i play the BeoSound 1 alone! And about two weeks ago while I fooling around in our local flea market i have bought a BeoCord 2200 which was made in 1973 which only cost US$40 and it is still working for 90%. So from now on I can link it up to my BeoSound 1 and listen to my old Pink Floyd cassette tapes!!!!! Think in conclusion what i try to tell you is if you like B & O audio products as much as like i do we first need a media, and for the amount of money you have paid for the BeoSound 1, you get a CD player, you get a fancy radio, you get a set of powerful speakers, but in my point of view this is what i think is the best thing you will get after you bought the BeoSound 1, which is the free media you will get which is an "amplifier". And with that amplifier even though we are both poor we can still have lots of fun with our B & O. Good luck and please feel free to ask me questions if you need to know more Tony.

Mr. Darren Funk

Posted 31/3/2007 10:03 PM (#15232 - in reply to #15221)

I just purchased a BEO Sound1 and can not play cd-r MP3's discs the dealer say they will work but does not have any anmswers to this problem.

Does anybody have some answers?

Mr. Allan Rosen

Posted 10/4/2007 8:01 AM (#15400 - in reply to #13780)

There is a problem with the white grills. Some of the holes either don't get enough paint or some get too much. B&O, you need to fix the quality control problem. Since white is the only painted grill, the other colors don't have this issue.

Herrn Heiko Reiger

Posted 12/4/2007 1:03 PM (#15448 - in reply to #15232)

Mr. Darren Funk - 31/3/2007 10:03 PM

I just purchased a BEO Sound1 and can not play cd-r MP3's discs the dealer say they will work but does not have any anmswers to this problem.

Does anybody have some answers?

BeoSound 1 only plays Audio-Cd's...

Mr. J.P. de Jong

Posted 24/4/2007 2:29 PM (#15610 - in reply to #15115)

If you put on the A8 headphones you can hear some noise in the background.
    There is a difference in noise value between BS1 off and on.

Mr. Allan Rosen

Posted 3/5/2007 5:45 PM (#15745 - in reply to #15116)

You get no stereo effect unless you sit right on top of the unit. If it's more than 4 feet from you, it sounds mono, with no stereo dimension to the sound, no sound staging; nothing but mono sound. If you think Dark Side Of The Moon sounds good like this, you need to hear it on the SACD format on a really good system, not a boombox which is what the Beosound 1 is.

Monsieur Alexandre Augustin

Posted 15/5/2007 5:21 PM (#15924 - in reply to #13780)

I don't think the Beosound 1 could be compared to "real audio system" such as a real SACD systems with two loudspeakers,it's not for the same use.I'm thinking about buying one for my bedroom but i'm a bit sceptical about its real capacities to reproduce a sound of quality like real hifi loudspeakers.I know it's only a compact system but I don't want to be disappointed by listening to it and to discover it sounds like systems of other brands such as the Philips streamium system or Bose system.I hope it's not the case because of the brand and its heritage.I'm waiting for some customer reviews to reassure myself,thank you.

Mr. james Lockyer

Posted 15/5/2007 11:15 PM (#15932 - in reply to #15924)

Alexandre, If you will read my note you will find that this BS1 is perfect for small spaces and portability. Remember this is a special unit not meant as a replacement for larger and more expensive audio. But as a supplement. to be moved arounds as needed. Try one you wont be disapointed with the sound and features.

Mr. Xiaochen Zhou

Posted 9/7/2007 3:49 PM (#16471 - in reply to #13780)

I have found a blue Beosound 1 on internet. The seller claimed that he purchased it many years ago. Is this Beosound 1 a fake one?

Sr. blaga catalin florin

Posted 14/7/2007 12:55 AM (#16521 - in reply to #16471)

i have the beosound 1 from 7 months and it works perfect like the first day and i use it every day ,even sounds better than any other brands ,at max vol is no distorsion on cd neither radio ,but yes a white noise on the headphones,anyway i dont use them.i also bought the a8 few days ago and they sound stuning its like a speakers b&o but in small ,great sound.b-o the best .keep it this way

Herr Thomas W. Geuting

Posted 27/7/2007 5:46 PM (#16644 - in reply to #13780)

Hello,

I have a Beosund 1 for almost a year from now. I bought it blind because I didn't want 2 standing Speakers in my sleeping room anymore.
    After receiving the Beosound 1 I installed the wall mount, took a CD played it and was very surprised in a positive way.
    This thing is expensive but the sound is realy great for that size!
    I just love it and it's fantastic! In combination with a beo 4 I found out that you can rise the integrated antenna and open/close the CD-tray via remote control.
    I use Aux-In to link it to my beosound 3000.

This is what I love about B & O: Decent design and the surprising sound!

I can recommend the Beosound 1 to everyone who wants a decent, small hifi-system for a room!

• 08-07-2007 8:55 AM In reply to

It appears the first man, Mr. Steve Huff, has a good pair of ears.

I consider the BeoSound 1 to be great value, with strong flexibility.

• 08-07-2007 9:00 AM In reply to

Does the Audio Pro Porto have DAB?
  • 08-07-2007 9:07 AM In reply to

DAB

No, it doesn't. Personally I don't miss that - but with it, it would have been a perfect unit. 

• 08-07-2007 9:21 AM In reply to

LW or MW? (In other words, can you get the cricket on it!! Laughing )
  • 08-07-2007 10:29 AM In reply to

Sorry, FM only.

But are you sure you want to get the cricket? I sat in Dublin last weekend, together with friends, and watched some major trouncing taking place ... there was some Irish glee over good beer and wine.

• 08-07-2007 10:42 AM In reply to

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Am I right in thinking that the Beosound 3 does not have a CD Player?

In practice the Beosound 1 would be used exclusively for listening to classical music on CD and Radio 3 on FM, so it sounds like it is exactly what he needs. I will pass your comments on!

Simon 

• 08-07-2007 10:46 AM In reply to

I own two BeoSound 1s, and like them a great deal.  More importantly, I use them as one of several test systems to evaluate recordings I've mastered.  Within the genre of "portable music playbck system," the BeoSound 1 performs excellently.  

One of mine is placed in a medium sized sunroom, and the other is used on a window sill to play to a large outdoor stone terrace area and swimming pool.  There's plenty of power for this, the FM reception is excellent, and the audio quality is superb, especially for the genre and the stereo constraints.  FWIW, I also own a Bose Wave Radio and a Cambridge Sound Works clock radio of similar size and power.  The BeoSound 1 easily outperforms both of them.  

I hope this helps.  

Best regards, 

Dave
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 08-07-2007 10:58 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Dave Moulton:
    I own two BeoSound 1s, and like them a great deal.  More importantly, I use them as one of several test systems to evaluate recordings I've mastered.  Within the genre of "portable music playbck system," the BeoSound 1 performs excellently.  

One of mine is placed in a medium sized sunroom, and the other is used on a window sill to play to a large outdoor stone terrace area and swimming pool.  There's plenty of power for this, the FM reception is excellent, and the audio quality is superb, especially for the genre and the stereo constraints.  FWIW, I also own a Bose Wave Radio and a Cambridge Sound Works clock radio of similar size and power.  The BeoSound 1 easily outperforms both of them.  

I hope this helps.  

Best regards, 

Dave

Heard it from the man himself! If it's good enough for Dave Moulton, then it's good enough for anybody!

And no, the BeoSound 3 doesn't have a CD player, it's too small. A CD player would be both a waste of battery, space and time IMO though, as you can get perfectly good sound from SD cards on the BeoSound 3, and with it's built in speaker, it'll be difficult to hear the difference between say, 224 kbps MP3 and 256 kbps MP3.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-07-2007 11:56 AM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

Looks like you've gotten enough feedback, but what the heck, I thought I'd throw in my opinion as well.

My husband and I stayed at a friend's home for a few weeks before we moved into our current apartment. The guest bedroom had a Bose Wave. Being used to Bang & Olufsen, I was not impressed. The tone sounds forced, shallow, and overly bright.  Plus, come on, it's just plain ugly!

We were happy to move out of our friend's place and into our own apartment for many reasons--one of them being that we simply love our BeoSound 1 compared to the Wave!  It sounds deep, natural, and full, even when it's playing the radio. And it's beautiful in our master bedroom.  Highly recommended!

All the best,

Aj 

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 08-07-2007 2:35 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Well here's my tuppen'orth.

BS3 - lovely radio but no CD player which I believe is one of the prerequisites. Really just an excellent portable radio with a SD card slot which would mean converting all your CD's so not really the best option IMHO.

Bose Wave. - My brother in law has one and it is very very good at what it does ie: a "portable" system but not as portable as one would think. Quite heavy and not too simple to carry around from room to room. Probably as good as, if not better than the BS1, but I have never heard them side by side so it isn't easy to give my best judgement.

BS1 - My personal choice as it offers decent portability along with decent sound reproduction. Plays all of the media required and just looks soooo much better than the BOSE which to me is far too plastic looking & ugly.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-08-2007 1:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The Wave system is good for background music, but I would never dream of listening to an album on it properly. Give Dark Side Of The Moon a spin, and you'll see why. Left hand handles midrange + upper bass, right hand handles midrange + treble, so the left hand channel won't even reproduce proper high frequency.

Stay away from the Bose is my suggestion. They're good as bed-side radios, but the build quality isn't a touch on the BeoSound 1, and the sound is, at least IMO, not in the same league as the BeoSound 1 if you listen properly either.

Design and practicality goes without saying.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-09-2007 3:30 AM In reply to

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

In a sense I am starting to regret starting this thread. I started off looking for something for my father to use, and now find that my own credit card is getting nervous, arguments like I don't really need one are not working as well as they should.....Huh?

Simon

• 08-09-2007 2:41 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

wirralsimon:

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

In a sense I am starting to regret starting this thread. I started off looking for something for my father to use, and now find that my own credit card is getting nervous, arguments like I don't really need one are not working as well as they should.....Huh?

Simon

Want is a better word than Need. Wink

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-28-2009 8:56 AM In reply to

• blue2th
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

with the beosound 1 now getting a few years old, and having read the 2009 expected release of products, does anyone think an upgrade for the beosound 1 may be in the works (considering volume sales is the quickest way to get the P&L healthy again)?

by upgrade I am thinking DAB module as an example.  and also any ideal if the ipod dock would be connectable to the beosound 1 using the aux input?

reason i ask is that i am very close to deciding on getting the beosound 1 but wouldn't midn holding off a few months if an upgrade may soon be out.

• 05-28-2009 10:10 AM In reply to

I have often thought that the Beosound 1 would benefit from an iPod dock being built in, but I haven't head anything to suggest that it might happen.

Simon

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)