in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-09-2010 11:22 AM by Stan. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-09-2010 10:54 AM

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Audio compression formats

Users of the Beosound 5, what kind of audiofile format do you use? There're lots of formats, and as we're interested in high-end audio, I presume everyone uses lossless formats? Is there an audible difference between FLAC and WAV? From what I read on the internet FLAC still uses some sort of compression? Who can shine some light in these matters?  And how is SACD used in this (non-disc) way? Is the beosound 5 capable of playing SACD files?

• 12-09-2010 11:22 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Re: Audio compression formats

The Beosound 5 works best with WMA lossless as this is the only format that supports gapless playback.  I personally use a combination of WMA lossless, mp3 and acc (I've been too lazy to losslessly encode all my music).

With respect to audible differences - lossless is lossless.  Lossless compression algorithms compress the music on the disk, but uncompress it when sent to the DAC.  Lossless means that no bits are lost or changed in the compression/uncompression process.  Assuming there are no bugs in the code, all the bits are the same when presented to the DAC (which turns the bits into music) regardless of the original *lossless* format.

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)