in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-05-2007 8:51 AM by cozza. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-01-2007 4:31 PM

Can the CD on BG CD 6500 keep playing with Tape2 selected?

Here's something I'd like to be able to do. Is it possible?

The Beogram CD 6500 has a coaxial S/PDIF out. I want to take that signal, route it through my Benchmark DAC-1 and return it to the Beomaster 7000 amp through Tape2.

Naturally, when I select Tape2, the CD-player is paused.
    Is there any way around this?
    Would be great to be able to use the superior Digital-to-Analog converter in the Benchmark, bypassing the one in the CD-player - while still staying within the Beosystem for playback.

Grateful for any suggestions! 

• 06-01-2007 4:48 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Re: Can the CD on BG CD 6500 keep playing with Tape2 selected?

soundproof:

Here's something I'd like to be able to do. Is it possible?

The Beogram CD 6500 has a coaxial S/PDIF out. I want to take that signal, route it through my Benchmark DAC-1 and return it to the Beomaster 7000 amp through Tape2.

Naturally, when I select Tape2, the CD-player is paused.
    Is there any way around this?
    Would be great to be able to use the superior Digital-to-Analog converter in the Benchmark, bypassing the one in the CD-player - while still staying within the Beosystem for playback.

Grateful for any suggestions!

Could the CONTROL-feature (Beolink 5000 & Beolink 7000, MCP 6500) perhaps be of some use ?
    I don't use it, but i remember something about it being used to control other sources in the background while
    the first source continues to play.
    If the command "CONTROL" , and then TAPE2, RECORD would be pressed,
    would that activate the input-sockets of TAPE2 ?

• 06-01-2007 5:53 PM In reply to

Checked up on CONTROL in the user guide. That's for carrying out other operations (programming, etc) while a source is playing. Good hunch, Ignace, but it doesn't do the trick.

• 06-02-2007 1:17 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Disconnect the datalink plug on the Beogram CD, then the Master do not react when you press play on the front of the cd-player. Should work, but I know it is a bit of a hazzle to disconnect it when ever you want to hear a cd, and you cant change tracks via remote.

br

Chr.

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 06-02-2007 5:55 PM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

You could make a short 7 pin Din plug to socket adapter to go in between the CD player and the Amplifier. Wire the datalink control pins from the amp to the CD player, but leave the CD player audio outputs disconnected. Add another cable into the DIN plug of the adapter to feed the audio output of the DAC into the LR inputs of  CD input of the Beomaster.

This way you would have normal control, but the audio would come from the external dac. You could hide the short adapter cable under the flap of the beomaster, and if you want to revert to normal operation, simply remove the inline adapter.

That's what I'd do. Smile

• 06-02-2007 6:12 PM In reply to

That's very smart, Mr Cozza. I'll unearth my soldering iron - and attempt to avoid frying my amp.

• 06-03-2007 1:24 AM In reply to

Any chance of anyone having the wiring diagram for the DIN plug on a Beogram CD 6500?

And to those more knowledgeable than I am on these units: Is it safe to run line-level analog audio from my Benchmark DAC-1 to the PHONO IN on a Beomaster 7000? 

• 06-03-2007 4:07 AM In reply to

Check out www.Beotech.co.uk for wiring diagrams. The Phono in socket on the BM7000 accepts Line level.
  • 06-03-2007 6:26 AM In reply to

Yes, I had a look there. Wanted to be certain I had the right one.

This one?

• 06-03-2007 7:24 AM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

This is the page you want

http://www.beotech.co.uk/mclconn3.htm

the diagram you found is for powerlink (the active speaker connections)

connect pin 2 of the din plug to pin 2 of the din socket

connect pin 6 of the din plug to pin 6 of the din socket

connect pin 7 of the din plug to pin 7 of the din socket

connect pin 3 of the din plug to the tip of the left RCA plug

connect pin 5 of the din plug to the tip of the right RCA plug

connect both grounds (sleeves) of the left and right RCA plugs to pin 2 of the DIN plug

use screened cable for the RCA connections, with the inner conductor connected to the tips of the RCA plugs.

• 06-03-2007 7:37 AM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

Try to find some decent DIN plugs and sockets, it will make the job  easier. 

The plugs that I can source locally from my neighbourhood electronics store are of such poor quality that the plastic melts before the pins get hot enough to be tinned by the soldering iron. They are black plastic ultra cheap ones, and unless you get it right the first time there are no second chances. The grey ones used by B&O are much nicer and are super easy to solder, plus they don't deform from the heat of the iron.

• 06-03-2007 7:41 AM In reply to

Thanks - yes, was kind of confused there. Found the right one originally, then I linked to the wrong one!

BTW - wondering whether I couldn't just cut through the insulation of the cable from the Beogram, isolate the wires carrying the line out, snip those, terminate the ones going from the player, and then connecting my DAC line out to the wires going to the DIN plug?

And, of course, also connect the grounds. 

Then I would be using the same plug. What do you think?

• 06-03-2007 2:11 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

cozza:

Try to find some decent DIN plugs and sockets, it will make the job  easier. 

The plugs that I can source locally from my neighbourhood electronics store are of such poor quality that the plastic melts before the pins get hot enough to be tinned by the soldering iron. They are black plastic ultra cheap ones, and unless you get it right the first time there are no second chances. The grey ones used by B&O are much nicer and are super easy to solder, plus they don't deform from the heat of the iron.

Hi, i use Hirschmann plugs.

Their product-range covers about all (DIN)-plugs

and the quality is much better than the ones you find in most electronics-shops.  

Hirschmann plug

(picture shows Hirschmann Powerlink-plug)  

• 06-03-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for that info, Ignace.  

Soundproof, 

You could do it either way,  I would prefer to avoid modifying the captive lead on the CD player.

• 06-04-2007 10:30 AM In reply to

cozza:

Thanks for that info, Ignace.  

Soundproof, 

You could do it either way,  I would prefer to avoid modifying the captive lead on the CD player.

Yes, doing that is near sacrilege. On the other hand, I will part ways with my Beosystem 7000/6500 when they pry it from my cold, dead hands ... Devil

Is the colour code for the wiring in the cable known for each numbered pin? 

• 06-05-2007 8:51 AM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

I don't know the wire colours, but you may be able to disassemble the din plug to check.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)