in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-02-2008 5:49 PM by Tom. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-02-2008 9:09 AM

LC2 light ontroller

Hey guys,

Thinking of purchasing one of these light controllers and wondered if you guys could tell me if i could use it to control the main room lights. I currently have halogen cieling spot lights and would ideally like the unit to replace my existing wall dimmer.

Please explain in simple terms as i am a complete lamen :-)

• 03-02-2008 10:44 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Re: LC2 light ontroller

Simple answer - yes! Even if the lights are low voltage, which yours probably aren't, the LC2 can be programmed for these also.

I am presuming you have the B&O remote to gain full advantage of the unit. 

• 03-02-2008 10:48 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

This is somethiong that has been covered on the Forum before. What is going to be problem is using the LC2 in place of you existing wall switch/dimmer. LC2,s need a live and neutral, the problem is most wall switches do not have a neutral. Both wires inside than back of the switch will be live. One is a feed and the other is a return to the light.

CraigSmile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-02-2008 10:49 AM In reply to

Hey mate,

Yes i have a Beo4 remote.

I had a look behind my current dimmer switch and this is how it's wired (I hoping this helps):

- Two red wires out of the wall which connect to the switch

- One yellow wire out of the wall which is screwed to the metal case in the wall

- One yellow and green wire which is wired from the switch to the metal case in the wall.

• 03-02-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

In that case no, as you do not have the required neutral behind your switch.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-02-2008 11:44 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Further to my earlier reply, sorry not to have mentioned the neutral requirement. I have wired up several in my lounge, but I am in Spain and wiring is different here (very!!). There is a 'neutral' wire behind everything, although positive & neutral are very different things here.

If you could somehow access a neutral wire in your system and draw this through to the space behind the switch, this would work.

I am though an amateur electrician, who has miraculously survived death through the years despite wiring all sorts of lights etc, so I would suggest professional help with my suggestion if you are in any doubt! 

• 03-02-2008 5:49 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Just in case you would not find any LC2 at reasonable price, check out this site: www.jbmedia.de

I bought a set of their light controllers recently and am perfectly happy with them. Works with Beo4 and Beo5. 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)