in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-22-2009 8:42 PM by jk1002. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2009 5:56 AM

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

interim tv solution

Hope somebody can help me with the following idea:

My avant is dying; it will shut down due to an error quite frequently; repairing it will cost 600 euro.

Therefore I expect to buy a new b&o tv by the end of this year (I want to wait for he bv10; and then decide btwenn bv8-40, bv10 and bv7-40).

However; I want to create an intermediate solution:

Buy a "cheap" 28 or 32 inch lcd with 2 purposes:

- use now as main telly

- use later as bedroom telly

To use it now as main telly I would like to connect this lcd to the avant; in other words; take the tube out the avant and directly mound the lcd to the avant frame. This way I would still like to use the following features of the avant:

- Center speaker (must)

- DD decoder (must)

- masterlink connection (must to operate connected bs9000)

- stand movement (would be nice)

- display (would be nice)

I know some people on this forum did something similar (or muvh more impressive) and I would like to get instructions/ideas how to create this. One of the things I am, for instance, not sure about is what to do to "trick" the avant to avoid errors causing the tv to switch off automatically.

I hope to get a lot of usefull feedback!

Thanks,

Bieele

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 04-19-2009 6:15 AM In reply to

Re: interim tv solution

Hi bieele

Can you describe the problem with your avant more accurate.are you aware of that many avant's have trouble with the picture tube,but you can determin if that's the case by turning your avant on and then bump a liitle hard on the top of it,if the picture flickers or the tv  goes down with a noise from your speakers then thats the case,if not the problem is probaly on the mainpcb bad soldering or bad capasitors,and would in my opinion be worth fixing,about the price of repairing i thinkit's a bit high.probaly because you asked a b&0 dealer.Other skilled technicians will be able to solve it as well I think.to a much lower price

regards

jan

• 04-19-2009 6:50 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

birgerbum:

Hi bieele

Can you describe the problem with your avant more accurate.are you aware of that many avant's have trouble with the picture tube,but you can determin if that's the case by turning your avant on and then bump a liitle hard on the top of it,if the picture flickers or the tv  goes down with a noise from your speakers then thats the case,if not the problem is probaly on the mainpcb bad soldering or bad capasitors,and would in my opinion be worth fixing,about the price of repairing i thinkit's a bit high.probaly because you asked a b&0 dealer.Other skilled technicians will be able to solve it as well I think.to a much lower price

regards

jan

Thanks for the reply I have tried this trick and no matter how hard I bump it, the picture remains stable and the tv stays on.

You are right that a B&O dealer inspected it; if I remember correctly they said it needed a new chassis. To be honest that is still a bit vague to me.

The errors I get always refer to Deflection issues; therefore I assumes this would be a costly thing.

Can you check yourself easily if soldering is bad? What are known places to look?

If your refer to the main pcb; you mean the main power supply board I assume? Would it be possible to take this board out and take that part only to a tv service station?

Thanks again, would be nice if I could get a easy fix!

Bieele

• 04-19-2009 9:56 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Just fix the avant.

Move it to the bedroom when you buy a new BeoVision.

600 euro is not very much money. 600 euro is what would buy a cheap and crappy LCD which will never feel like it belongs in your home like B&O does.

You can not just take the tube out of the avant and stick an LCD panel to it and have all the normal fuctions of the avant. It will be very painstaking and expensive

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-19-2009 12:36 PM In reply to

Hi

No you cannot remove the pcb and take it to repair the servicepersonal needs the whole set in order to  decide where the trouble is but I understand why you are asking it's not an easy task to move an avant about the deflection give me the errorcodes and I will see what I can do,but i still suspects  your picturetube.If you are bold enough remove the backpanel remember to unplug it,plug it in be very carefull you are dealing with high voltage use the end(plasticpice)of a screwdriver and knock on the glassneck of the picture tube and if the tube flickers ore the tv is shutting off you have the reason if nothing happens its ok.Remember be very carefull it's dangerous

regards

jan

• 04-19-2009 5:34 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your help;

typically I get the error codes:

88-2B: RGB video processor

8C-2C: Deflection processor (HOP)

Sometimes I get more; but these are almost all the time available. Hope you can get more info from this.

Not sure if I will try the screwdriver trick; maybe better to have somebody else do that (to avoid I break it myself).

Bieele

• 04-20-2009 1:48 AM In reply to

• hebo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 305
    • Founder

Hi Bieele

Have you thought of geeting a used one?

What´s your seconhand market like in Netherland?

I recently bought an Avant 28" from 98 for 200 euros, and I Love it......

Save the chassie from your old Avant as spareparts or do some DIY

BV10

• 04-21-2009 10:00 AM In reply to

Hi Bieele

I have checked your error codes with a B&O technichian and the answer is that the chassis has to be changed because it cannot be repaired by others then B&O themselves due to software chips,it's normally done with a switch over so that the old one are sent to b&o and a repaired one is mounted in the avant if it's worth the effort in terms of money is up to you

regards

jan

• 04-21-2009 2:37 PM In reply to

I'd go with a second hand Avant or MX7000s appear to be bargains at the moment. Wait for the BV10......

• 04-21-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

Hi gk31ax

A mx 7000 is in my opion a bad choice its technically outdated because it cannot switch to 16:9 format while a avant can (b&o 14:9)

regards

jan

• 04-22-2009 3:59 AM In reply to

Isn't everything technically outdated from the moment of purchase?? Its still a brilliant looking set and delivers an outstanding picture, just my opinion.

• 04-22-2009 1:16 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

birgerbum:

Hi Bieele

I have checked your error codes with a B&O technichian and the answer is that the chassis has to be changed because it cannot be repaired by others then B&O themselves due to software chips,it's normally done with a switch over so that the old one are sent to b&o and a repaired one is mounted in the avant if it's worth the effort in terms of money is up to you

regards

jan

Thanks for checking; so the dealer that looked at it was right. He charged 750 euro for chaning the chassis which I thought was to much (buying a second hand is cheaper). That's the reason why I am looking for an interim tv. 

Is the idea of connecting a lcd to the avant really that difficult? My Avant operates perfectly know when I use it in the AV mode (picture turned off) and use a projector to watch tv or DVD. Therefore I would expect that taking the tube out and connecting a lcd tv would be possible.

Curious about your thoughts!

Bieele

• 04-22-2009 1:28 PM In reply to

Hi Bieele

Can you tell me how much 750 euro are in dk kr I may be able to get you a chassis

cheaper

regards

jan

• 04-22-2009 4:15 PM In reply to

Hi Bieele

I found a avant here in denmark for sale picture tube defect but chassis ok price 500 kr DK dont know what that is in euro maybe we could work something out

regards

jan

• 04-22-2009 8:42 PM In reply to

Honestly, I am not quite sure I understand why you would not pick up the current BV7? I believe the deal without the DVD player is still on and seems to nip other similar priced options into the butt. Yes it's updated soon, but then it's a very decent TV right now at an interesting price point.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)