in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-15-2009 10:14 PM by Dave. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-14-2009 11:31 AM

Beolab 4000 question

I have bought new alluminum covers for my beolab 4000's and was wondering if it's easy to change them on my own...or do i need to take them to a B&O service center.i have heard that the bottom covers are difficult to remove...thanks

• 07-14-2009 1:10 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Re: Beolab 4000 question

The front aluminum plates are relatively easily to remove and replace.

The top and bottom metal ellipses are another matter. Essentially both pieces are gasketed, and glued on. In replacing the top and bottom, it can be an expectation to destroy the originals during the process.

If you have not tried this before, I would reccommend you consult with someone who has done this successfully, step by step, or allow the B&O technicians to do this for you.

Bon chance !

• 07-14-2009 2:37 PM In reply to

Its essentially 3 sections. The front plate, top and bottom and of course the fret.

Dead simple and very apparent once you have removed the fret but you wont get the top and bottom covers off without wrecking them! it might be worth trying to pry them off very carefully with a hot stanley blade or similar if you wish to keep them for spares!

Hope this helps

Llewelyn 

• 07-14-2009 5:04 PM In reply to

hi thanks for the replies...i don't care if i wreck the bottom and top parts because they are already scratched. The original color of the speakers was green...but i bought all new covers in gold. so i will have to glue the top and bottom and covers now? i dont know if the B&O service center will attach them for me because i did not buy the covers from them but from ebay...they wanted 400 euros for the top and bottom parts i thought it was too expensive. i bought the top, bottom,  frets, and sides for 170 euros off ebay new.

• 07-14-2009 5:06 PM In reply to

you see when i talked to the B&O technician he told me that only the bottom parts are a problem because they are connected to the amplifier.....

• 07-14-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

The exploded view of the Beolab 4000 speaker is available on BEOWORLD in the service manual section. This alone is invaluable to your project: With an upgrade to Gold membership all of the product technical manuals are available to you.

The top and bottom gasket is specific to the installation, and is needed to do the job right. As a few of us have found out, and you now know, this isn't the easiest of projects. In fact, it can be downright scary ! ( Especially with my wife standing over me working, silently with her arms folded ).

As mentioned above, the use of a hot electical knife with variable temperature setting was best in removing my originals ( Gold to Blue by the way ). Too hot and the alu is scorched, so use the lowest possible setting. Pad and protect your work along the way, even if you do not wish to save the top and bottom of both speakers.

• 07-14-2009 7:33 PM In reply to

thanks!! but i think it would be best if i take the speakers to the b&o service..it sounds too complicated

• 07-14-2009 11:49 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

foamywax:

thanks!! but i think it would be best if i take the speakers to the b&o service..it sounds too complicated

It is not complicated, the top and bottom peel of like band-aids. You'll save alot of money doing it yourself

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-15-2009 6:32 PM In reply to

ok then i will try it but you guys mentioned it can be scary!! so i didn't want to take the risk...another question...how do i attach the new bottom and top covers?? are they like stickers?? how do i upgarde my member ship here to read the instructions??

thanks!!

• 07-15-2009 10:14 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Yes the top and bottom plates are a two layer plate. a layer of steel and a thin sheet of the beautiful aluminium. The plate is attached to the beolab with a double sided tape-like sheet, already on the plates, just peel back the plastic and attach. I did mine, do it very carefully and slowly ensuring you place the plate on stright. once it's attached, that's it.

The instructions will be of no help to you. They don't explain this procedure.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)