in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-22-2010 11:07 PM by BeoTom. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-22-2010 8:39 PM

• BeoTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-09-2010
    • Texas
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Current BeoSounds and their Competition?

Hello fellow BeoWorld members!  I'm a fairly new member here, however I've been a frequent visitor to BeoWorld and its forums for a number of years, I just haven't taken the time to actually join in on the conversations!  

A quick summary about myself, I bought my first piece of B&O in 1992, it was a new RX2 turntable.  ...and as the story so often goes, that was just the beginning.  I've been collecting B&O ever since.  I grew up familiar with B&O however, as my aunt sold B&O in the late seventies, and I used to love playing with her personal B&O equipment as a kid (Beogram 4004 and Beomaster 2400).  What drew me most to B&O once I started collecting it myself, was the sound (and picture for the TV's).  I love the sound of B&O (as a whole), and the very unique and awesome designs of their equipment was just icing on the cake for me.  As time went on, I quickly grew to appreciate all of their qualities, which is what made them my favorite (by a long shot) A/V company.  The sound and video quality, the build quality, the design, the ease of use, the integration of the components and functions, and the attention to detail that they pay (usually!) to their equipment.  Born in 1977, I grew up in the Jacob Jensen years, and likewise my favorite systems tend to be those from the 80's through the early 90's (Beosystem 8000, 5000/5500/6500/7000, 4500, Beocenter 9000/9300/9500, Beolab Pentas, and 8000s).  I do have favorite pieces dating back from the early 60's through today though.

With 9 LEE's and the other moderator's permission, I'd like start writing (as time permits) a short blog or article on some of my thoughts about B&O and get your opinions as well.  For the first one, I'd like to share some thoughts and facts against two integrated audio systems, the BeoSound 4 and the Linn MAJIK DS-l.  There's been a lot of talk on here recently about the current lineup of BeoSounds, prices today, and the value of B&O (especially in comparison to other companies).  Here's the scenario, my main audio system right now that I listen to on an almost daily basis consists of a pair of BeoLab 8000s (my babies that I got new in 2001), Beomaster 5500, Beocord 5500, Beogram CD50, and a Beogram 8000.  The 8000s are connected through RCA type audio cables using the pre-amp out of the BM5500, since it doesn't have Powerlink connections.  Though I love my BS5500, and I don't plan on getting rid of it, I have been contemplating the idea of eventually moving it to another room, and getting a new system, especially one that can provide internet radio and access all of my stored digital music (I do realize I can connect a computer and other equipment to an aux input to the BM5500).  I still listen to a lot of vinyl though, so I'll want to keep the BG8000 connected and going.  I also love my BL8000 speakers, so I'll want to keep them as well, and since they are active, I will not require an amp, but do want a pre-amp out. I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to this, it's really more a fun exercise to compare some new B&O with another piece of new "high-end" equipment.

For starters: the Linn MAJIK DS-i is an integrated Linn DS player (plays internet radio and extracts digital audio files from your computer, etc. when connected to your network), pre-amplifier (with pre-amp outs), and power amplifier (90 W RMS per channel [4 ohm] Linn Chakra amp).  It has 11 aux inputs (6 digital and 5 analog with one of those inputs containing a phone pre-amp).  It has no built in sources other than the DS player, not even a radio tuner. It also has a 3.5mm aux minijack input in front. It's a simple "box" design, but looks much nicer and higher quality than your typical mass market box equipment. It weighs 10.78lbs/4.9kg, and costs US $4200.  The BS4 (as I'm sure most of you already know!) is an integrated music system containing a pre-amp, CD Player, and SD Card Reader/Writer that allows you to record from sources connected to the BS4.  It has 1 aux input, and one masterlink input.  With the optional BeoPort (around US $600) it gives the BS4 essentially the same functions/capabilities as the Linn DS player.  There is no phono stage built in and no amp. It's a unique B&O design, with the auto sliding glass cover, and see through buttons and CD player.  it weighs 8.2lbs/3.7kg and costs US $2900.

Design - Advantage: B&O / Design will always be an opinion, but IMHO the unique design of the BS4, including its auto glass cover, gives it an edge over the conventional box design of the Linn.  Though the Linn does have a nice looking quality design to it.

Sound - Advantage: ... This one is again always going to be an opinion.  I've always liked the sound of B&O gear, though I'll admit the audio components don't seem to be quite the quality they used to.  I'll stick with B&O here, though I know a lot of audiophiles may choose the Linn.

Quality - Advantage: Tie / I think both probably are well built machines made to last a long time.  Both are built by humans though, and as such, both can unfortunately have something go wrong!  I know B&O has had software quality concerns lately, but I think in general, B&O build quality is still very good.

Complete System Brand Integration - Advantage: B&O / Linn has a whole range of audio products that they suggest can go well together, to make a complete system, however, when it comes to complete audio/video integration of the same brand of components, I think B&O is still the hands down leader here.  From design, to ease of use, to the components working/talking together.

Inputs - Advantage: Linn / This is, unfortunately, just no contest.  The Linn has 6 digital inputs (which will use the Linn's built in DAC), 4 Line Level analog inputs, and 1 MM Phono Stage input.  Wow, that's really great, and handy, especially if you're used to the typical modern BeoSound's 1 (read: 1!) aux input, along with a masterlink connection.  The digital inputs with the ability to use the Linn's DAC is nice, as is the built in Phone Pre-amp (if your going to connect a turntable).  With the BS4 you'll need to hook up an external phono pre-amp, and get a source switcher of some kind if you plan on connecting multiple audio sources.  To be fair, the Linn has no built in CD source, radio tuner, or other playback/recording source (such as the SD card reader), so it does need at least a few more inputs than the BS4 does.

Misc Notes: Digital Music and Internet Radio - The Linn has (essentially) the functions of the BeoPort built in, so it does have a slight advantage there.  However with BeoPort, they both have virtually the same capabilities.  I know that the Linn DS and BeoPort are not exactly the same thing though, and I believe BeoPort opens up a few more possibilities. The Linn is compatible with: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, AAC, and MP3.  A BeoMaster 5 can also be connected to BS4, though for a much higher price than BeoPort!  For my particular case, I would be using the BeoLabs and would not need the built in amp of the Linn.  If someone were to use BeoVox's or other passive speakers, then the amp in the Linn would come in handy.  For someone using passive's with the BS4, they would need to get a ML/MCL converter (amp) to use (about US $600), or provide an amp of another brand (various prices).  I think the ML/MCL converter amp is a great little amp, however if one wants an amp with a lot power, the ML/MCL could be considered at little weak.  Still, I think most would be surprised of the performance of this amp.

Summary: I think both pieces are very nice, and should both provide their owners with quality musical enjoyment for a long time to come.  I would personally probably go with the BeoSound 4.  As stated, I'm a Beo fan, and like the sound of B&O.  However the Linn is a tempting alternative.   The BS4 is US $1300 cheaper than the Linn.  However, you'll have to add $600 for the BeoPort (if wanted), $600 for the ML/MCL convert amp (if using passive speakers), and the cost of a phono pre-amp and switcher box (if using a turntable or multiple audio sources).  This will bring the cost similar to the Linn, if not a little higher.  On the other hand, with the Linn, if you want a CD player, a radio tuner, and some sort of other playback/recorder device, you'll have to buy those, which will in turn raise the price higher than BS4, even with BeoPort, etc.  I like the fact that the BS4 has the built in CD player.  I know the CD's days are dwindling down, but I do still use them, and a friend can still bring a CD over and play it on my system.  I also love the SD card reader.  I can put several hundred songs (converted in good quality) on just a couple of SD cards and listen to them, without even having to have BeoPort.  I can also still record something off of the radio, CDs, or any other source right from the BS4.  Something I appreciate, and miss, since the disappearance of the cassette.  Since I'd be using my 8000 speakers, my system would still consist of B&O amps and speakers, and with Linn's reputation for a pretty neutral sound, I think my setup would still sound very (B&O), a good thing to me!  I think both pieces could easily integrate with any speaker of any type and brand though.  One last note: I know that weight does not necessarily equal good sound or build quality, but I was still a little surprised that the Linn only weighed 2.58 lbs more than the B&O, even with it's 90 watt amp!  Maybe it just shows that a lot of companies don't "build them like they used to"?

As with any purchase, when it comes down to it, it really is just the buyer's preference, for whatever reason they like.  I do think this comparison shows the BS4, and it's value price-wise, at least solidly compares to the Linn.  So....what do you guys think?  I hope at least some of you enjoyed this random B&O thought, and that you got something out of it!  I'm sorry if it went on too long!

• 05-22-2010 10:55 PM In reply to

Re: Current BeoSounds and their Competition?

I'm on my third pair of eyes. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-22-2010 11:07 PM In reply to

• BeoTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-09-2010
    • Texas
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Re: Current BeoSounds and their Competition?

lol, Yeah, sorry, it was a bit long!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)