in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-11-2009 3:28 AM by Keith Saunders. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-04-2009 7:12 AM

Using a UK BV7-40 in the USA...

Hi all,

My family and I are moving to the USA with work for around 15-18 months.  We have a Beovision 7-40 Mk II (with BL8000s, BV4000s and a BL7.4) which we're hoping to take with us.  

Does anyone have any experience of using UK-spec TVs / Audio in the USA with voltage step-down transformers?

Would we be better off finding a cheap (i.e. sub £5000!) TV to use while we're in the USA instead?

B&O in Lincoln, UK, advised me that the TV draws current of not more than 5 amp, so I think I'd need at least a 1.5kW transformer (around $130US, from my brief Google search).  All assuming I can get a 1080i DVI source to watch, that is....

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

• 03-04-2009 7:38 PM In reply to

Re: Using a UK BV7-40 in the USA...

I'm using a 240V BeoSound Ouverture in the US, Masterlink-connected to a locally bought BeoVision 8. The Ouverture is hooked up to a step-up transformer (you need to step-UP the wall voltage from 120V to 240V). Works great, both CD & radio, no issues whatsoever.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 03-05-2009 9:39 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Bring your center speaker and the stand for the BeoVision 7 you currently have and purchase a BeoVision 7 TV under the promotional price.  I would take whatever you can get for the MKII BV7 abroad and use that towards the purchase of the newer (and a little more global AND future proof) set.

Thats a sub 5K idea ;)

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 03-06-2009 12:17 AM In reply to

I think I agree with that sort of. I am running a Beosound 2300 since 8 years with step up converters (3 to be exact, one for the sound, 1 each for the labs on the side). I would not run a TV though through a step up and you would need a high quality one, 130$ sounds somewhat cheap to me. You may also need one for the speaker.

That said, buying here in the US and using in Europe is not that appealing anymore since the USD suddenly became strong again. I am not sure if a BV7 US would be serviced in UK when you return. I am afraid not. Many years I bought a Beocom phone and the ringer died but I could not get this fixed since the dealer was legally not allowed to touch the non US product. And it wasn't a bad dealer, had many good experiences with them.

If there is a global warranty and a UK dealer can actually service it, I would think I consider this.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-06-2009 8:47 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

The key difference now is the BeoSystem 3.  Since it is a global product all that really needs to be done if and when it goes to another country is a PUC update to control local STBs.  Also, the BeoVision 7 MKIII from what I understand is actually in a switched voltage mode, which means the integrated power supply can handle 90V-240V without any kind of service being done.  Just plug it in!  Also you should note that any Bang & Olufsen product purchased in the US comes with a 3 year international guarantee, whereas everywhere else in the world it would come with a 2 year guarantee.

Telephones are completely different.  Each country has different standards that might prevent certain features or the phone as a whole from working in another country.  The story is the same in the US ... we cannot service telephones purchased in other countries but not because we don't want to ... we just can't order the parts!

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 03-07-2009 6:31 PM In reply to

Hi All,

Thank you all very much for your detailed replies.  I really liked the suggestion of selling my UK display and buying a US one - until I noticed that you're the manager of the Broadway B&O store!  You _clearly_ have a lot in common with my local B&O sales staff!

Only kidding - I really appreciate the advice.  I have wondered about upgrading the MkII display before more sources support / require 1080p displays and the bottom falls out of the used Mk II market.

I'll investigate further and report back.  FWIW, my local B&O store weren't too keen on the idea of me shipping it to the USA - they say they get more broken TVs following marine shipping accidents than anything else...

Thanks again,

Simon.

• 03-10-2009 2:47 PM In reply to

I've been in touch with Russ at Tyson's Corner B&O in Washington DC - he thinks that the power supply on the BV7-40 Mk III US is 110-120V only, so I don't think buying a US screen to bring back to the UK will work.  I'm still investigating and haven't given up hope yet!

He also mentioned the BV7-40 Mk IV being available 'this spring' - from what I've read on the forum, this will have Blu-Ray.  Are there any more differences to the MkIV model?

Simon.

• 03-11-2009 12:23 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

simongdavies:

I'll investigate further and report back.  FWIW, my local B&O store weren't too keen on the idea of me shipping it to the USA - they say they get more broken TVs following marine shipping accidents than anything else...

Blowing a sale...but here goes....  IF you get your local shop to order the complete packaging, including the palette and cargo straps, and IF you insure it well enough to get people's attention...you ought to have no problem getting yours across the pond.  Packaging is exceptionally well designed, and engineered.  I've had the opportunity to visit the 'dungeon', and speak with a couple of the engineers in charge there.  The pnematic ram is especially convincing.

Russ

PS  Just remember how close Denmark is to the Arctic Circle when parsing the phrase 'this Spring'.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-11-2009 1:43 AM In reply to

I would think most BV7s are shipped across the ocean in their original packaging. I mean,how does it get into the store from denmark? 

I think what you may want to consider is, do you really just go for 18 month or is there potential extension. I went for a bit in 1998 and I am still here running a BS2300 with 230 volts.

Personally I would not be comfortable running a BV7 UK in the US and vice versa unless I know for sure its just 18 month. Otherwise I would do what Ross suggest or lay low and buy a cheap as LCD.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-11-2009 3:28 AM In reply to

Simon,

Just a few technical points to add to the feedback you have already received:-

• The power consumption of a Beovision 7-40 Mark II is 180 watts at 240 volts (Type 9363)
    • The power consumption of a Beovision 7-40 Mark III is 140 Watts and as it has a switched mode power supply can run using 110 volts or 220-240 volts
    • As far as I am aware the Beovision 7-40 Mark II were never developed or sold in the North American market, only the Mark III version
    • The Beovision 7-40 mark III was designed from the start to be a truely International product.

I would purchase a Beovision 7-40 mark III in whichever location would give you the best financial deal either trading in your existing unit or selling it seperately. Do take into consideration the shipping costs which if this is a company move you may not be concerned about.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)