in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-01-2009 7:00 AM by Wings. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2009 5:59 PM

Accidently deleted my Itunes Music Files - Road to recovery from the Apple TV

Yes yes, one click and my entire music collection was wiped off my Xraid secured NAS. Since the disks are mirrored I did not bother much with backups. Now I know that this does not cover user mistakes so backups are still required.

Interesting though there is a ray of light, with an FTP client that supports SFTP which I think most do, one can log into an Apple TV which has all files, just stored in that funky Ipod format so not sorted by Artist and song name etc.

I just tried with a single file, as I tunes reads the tags inside the files and you can set up Itunes to "organize" albums I think I can just download the files from the ATV, import into Itunes and it should rebuild my library nicely.

Now I am downloading the entire thing. Wish me luck, I post here how it turns out. Takes around 24 hours just to download the 40GB of music through SFTP.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-28-2009 4:14 AM In reply to

Re: Accidently deleted my Itunes Music Files - Road to recovery from the Apple TV

I wish you luck. I am paranoid about this! I have abour 4 back ups! Over 200GB of music so putting it all back on manually would be a disaster!

• 02-28-2009 6:19 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Re: Accidently deleted my Itunes Music Files - Road to recovery from the Apple TV

Good luck, I hope it works out fine! If your iTunes lists the songs (but can't find the files), you won't even have top re-add them to the library when you have put the files back on the server. If not, you'll have to add the files to the library again.

Like Peter, I'm paranoid about this - I have two backups (three, if I count my iPod 160 GB) of my entire iTunes library (including the xml library file). Unfortunately, all my backup disks are in the same room. I'm thinking of a server "exchange" with a friend - I let him place a backup server (mac mini with an external disk) in my flat/network, and he lets me place a backup server in his place. We both have 100/100 Mbit/s internet connection and static IP, so it will be quick and easy.

• 02-28-2009 2:34 PM In reply to

I'm still reloading after losing my library....It was too big for my iMac so I stored it on a backup hard drive which died....Moral of the story, back up the back up!!

Over 1000 CDs and I simply restarted from scratch after it just got too confusing, especially with itunes recognising albums differently to when they were originally loaded.

I've also taken the opportunity to reload at 320kbps rather than 192kbps I originally loaded at....

But I am nearly finished, its taken about 8 weeks......

Best of luck

• 03-01-2009 7:00 AM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Although I only have about 8 gig of music, I too am paranoid about having to re-create my files.  Consequently, I have a backup on the same computer, a backup on my office computer and a backup on a friend's portable hard disk -- she says it holds ~300 GB so I am not taking up too much memory.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)