in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-03-2009 10:46 AM by ouverture. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-02-2009 9:40 AM

Ouverture / Century and other similar Beosound models

upgrading my Ouverture is something I would like to do this month, but before I do has anybody else opened one up and made any noticeable modifcations that have improved the sound any ??

one thing that annoys me it that my next door neighbour bought a Beosound 9000 just before Xmas from a mate of his who was moving back to Canada, and it sounds way much better than my Ouverture, this is starting to really pee me off  :-(

the reason it is so good, is because he uses the Coaxial ( Digital Out ) on the BS9000 to a DAC ( Digital Audio Convertor ), and then into his amplifier, then to his speakers. Ten years ago his mate bought this DAC ( an Assemblage DAC-2 in 1997 ) to pair with the BS9000 because he wanted the best sound.

https://www.hostinguk.net/control_panel/send_pwd.asp

I have taken my Ouverture round to his house, and used my Powerlink to RCA cable and plugged into his amp and speakers to have a listening test, and my Ouverture is nowhere as good, I mean really it is half as good as the setup he now has, probably worse than that even, it makes me cry that he has leapfrogged my beloved Ouverture by so much, the detailed sound he gets is just simply outstanding.

I have looked on google and seen a lot about DIY DAC's you can buy, I am wondering if it is possible to just use the Ouverture as a CD Transport and put the DAC in between the electronics on the Ouverture and have a Coaxial Digital output, instead of Powerlink connection to my amp ???

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue27/monica_dac.htm

• 03-02-2009 9:57 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Ouverture / Century and other similar Beosound models

Not aware that you can easily do it wth the Overture series  but the CD5500 (and 6500, 7000) CD players have digital out that you could use with a separate DAC/Amp combination. These would still need connection to a Beomaster however if you wanted remote control.

(The BC2 and of course the BS9000, as you've already mentioned, also have digital out).

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-03-2009 10:46 AM In reply to

Re: Ouverture / Century and other similar Beosound models

well if B&O have provided coaxial out on the BS9000 and the other CD players you mention, then I am hoping that this maybe possible on the Ouverture with a bit of head scratching, I guess only by looking at the circuitry and figuring out the complexity if it were viable or not is the next course of action.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)