in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-20-2009 8:53 AM by joeyboygolf. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2009 6:59 AM

• Hank
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Installation of new tweeter for beolab 3

I bought a new tweeter for my Beolab 3, and when you change tweeter you also have to change one of the potensiometers on the mainboard to get the correct sound.

I found a small note on the speakers back saying (.04) but the value suppose to be somewere between -2,7db to +3,7db so this can´t be correct.

On my bas driver it says -0,4 which is ok.

Someone who knows what this (.04) suppose to be? it might be just a misstake from B&O.

Is there someone that have done this type of change and know what I´m searching for?

Thanks in advance.

Hank

Best Regards Hank
  • 02-19-2009 7:19 AM In reply to

Re: Installation of new tweeter for beolab 3

I have done this job but must confess that it was some time ago.

I would assume that your label reads +0.04db. which would mean that you adjust the potentiometer to position of 5 (iirc it is graduated 0-9 where 5 corresponds to the 0db level)

The service manual is on this site. Please check 'cos my memory is not what it once was.

Regards Graham

• 02-19-2009 8:01 AM In reply to

Hi,

BTW how much did you payed for new tweeter ?

And why did you change them ? The old one suffer from some failure ?

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 02-19-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

• Hank
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for the answers.

I tought that the value supposed to be stated only with one decimal therefor +0,04 wasn´t a option for me.

But it might be right if they measure them so exactly. What was the value of your tweeter?

I think I payed 30 Euro for it.

I replace it because it doesn´t sound good since someone touched it.

Best Regards Hank
  • 02-19-2009 9:07 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Those buggers! "DON'T TOUCH!" hehehe! Lucky it isn't too expensive to fix, the worrying thing is the potentiometers...

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-19-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

Hank:

Thank you for the answers.

I tought that the value supposed to be stated only with one decimal therefor +0,04 wasn´t a option for me.

But it might be right if they measure them so exactly. What was the value of your tweeter?

I think I payed 30 Euro for it.

I replace it because it doesn´t sound good since someone touched it.

They must have touched it fairly hard!

I honestly can't remember what value was on the new tweeter. What I do remember is that I ended up doing the adjustment by "ear" because I wasn't happy with doing it as per the service manual or the written instructions packed in with the tweeter.

Regards Graham

• 02-19-2009 9:33 AM In reply to

• Hank
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

The tweeter is now longer not what it used to be :-).

But it´s good to know that I can change it if I don´t like the sound without crash the speaker again.

The problem is that the stickers is hand writen and hard to read.

How many steps did you adjust the potentiometer when you found out that you didn´t like the sound?

Can you measure the db of the tweeter somehow?

Best Regards Hank
  • 02-19-2009 10:47 AM In reply to

I believe that you need a sound pressure measuring device, which I don't have. Unless of coarse you count the ones on each side of my head!

Mine didn't need much adjustment to match up with the other one. Maybe a "click" or two.

This totally unscientific approach to this problem is a description of what I did and is in no way endorsed by Beoworld. I added that before I get another boll*cking!

Regards Graham

• 02-20-2009 4:25 AM In reply to

• Hank
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Yes I understand that this modification is made by own risk.

I´m not sure that +0,04 is the correct value beacuse I´m not sure if they measure them so exactly.

Best Regards Hank
  • 02-20-2009 5:35 AM In reply to

It's easy to do by ear. Switch both BL3's to the same channel, either left or right, then use the untouched one as a reference to make the repaired one sound the same. Best to play a familiar track, one with a reasonable amount of treble. I've got an audio generator but I found it easier with a track playing rather than a monotone from the generator.

Regards Graham

• 02-20-2009 7:17 AM In reply to

• Hank
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

That is a great suggestion.

Do you have to mount the slave bas unit when you listning or can I keep it open?

I recieved a mail from B&O support and they say that +0.04 can be correct.

Best Regards Hank
  • 02-20-2009 8:53 AM In reply to

You can leave the slave bass unit off as it does not affect tweeter output which is via the acoustic lens.

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)