in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-11-2009 4:01 PM by phult. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2009 3:27 PM

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 5 Sych problem any ideas

I just took delivery of a brand new set of Beolab 5. They sound great hooked up to a Sonos streaming lossless files directly via the coax output. However the speakers dont volume sych even though a proper cable is installed between them.  There are no powerlink or line in cables attached

I believe I have set them up properly (ie for a non b&o system) but I have to adjust the volume individualy.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Or how to factory reset them?

thanks for the help

philip

• 02-08-2009 3:42 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 5 Sych problem any ideas

You need a special mini jack to mini jack cabel from B&O, its not just a normal minijack cabel. Set the BL5 in L.opt 1.

• 02-08-2009 3:52 PM In reply to

Philip, please tell me the first three numbers from the serial on you speakers, it's found under the big disk.

Mine are too OLD!!! to be used with a synch cable... Again, incredible negligence by B&O...

Advertising them and supplying us with sync cables and connector, only to be unable to use them. Are your speakers "locking up" when you connect the cable?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-08-2009 3:53 PM In reply to

I saw you mentioned "brand new"... If that's the case then I can't imagine you have the same problem as I have.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-08-2009 5:17 PM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

The first three digits are 213. They don't lock up when the sych cable is installed. They appear to work fine except the volume is unsychronized.

I have an approved synch cable so not sure what it could be.

any help would be welcome

Philip

• 02-08-2009 5:19 PM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

the software seems to be 3.0 if that helps at all

• 02-08-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

Soundproof may be able to help you, did you have the right option setting? Either option 1 or 4.

The serial number seems fine, they apparently started working from something like 178.... Mine are pre that era Smile

-Andreas

• 02-08-2009 5:29 PM In reply to

Make sure you have the L.OPT set to 1, since you are working with non-B&O.

A tip, if it still doesn't work. Before I got my sync-cable, I would run the speakers down all the way, and past that point, just to be certain both speakers were at absolutely lowest volume. Then, making sure that both speakers could "see" the remote, I would raise the volume click-by-click on the volume up, checking that both speakers were indicating they received each adjustment with a green flash. Raise the volume until you have a nice working volume, and store that level. You can now reset the speakers to that level by adding RESET to LIST and pressing RESET whenever you suspect they've drifted.

• 02-08-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

thanks for the tip of setting 'turn on volume'. Will help until I figure things out. 

I have set them to option 1. Hopefully it is something banal that I have not figured out.

• 02-08-2009 5:53 PM In reply to

Hi, I can confirm that the Synch cable is a cross-over stereo mini-jack (3.5mm TRS plug) cable, with tip and ring connections reversed.

To summarise, you should be able to use the synch function, as this was active from serial no. 17772145 and software level 2.5 and above (around April 2004).  If all else fails, you may wish to use the following alternative method (the only option available to those with older 'Lab 5's linked to non-B&O equipment); just set both speakers to maximum volume and then use the external (ie. source) volume control.

Best regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 02-08-2009 5:54 PM In reply to

Forgive the question, but you are setting L.OPT to 1? Do it with the remote close to each speaker's IR-eye, and check for the red sign-off flash after the option setting's been accepted.

(As to using MAX VOLUME, as Steve suggests: tried that, and didn't like the hiss from the speakers, which is why I chose to go up to a hiss-free working level, with my source set below max.)

• 02-08-2009 6:02 PM In reply to

Good point soundproof!

Different people's perceptions of background hiss levels can vary, but this does need to be remembered as being a possible by-product of setting the speakers to maximum volume.   I wonder if the option settings (and getting each speaker to register these correctly) could be the key to this?

Best regards,

Steve.

• 02-08-2009 6:02 PM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

Sound proof - They are set to Option 1 (I have also tried option 4 but doesn't seem to make a difference)

Thanks for the help. Is there any factory reset sequence that anyone knows?

• 02-08-2009 6:06 PM In reply to

When you choose OPTION? with the Beo4, you're given V.OPT, A.OPT and L.OPT as choices, which is why I asked - just wanted to be certain you chose L.OPT.

Try setting L.OPT 0. Then press STANDBY & LIST again, and reset for L.OPT 1. Speaker-light should be red throughout, and give a flash at the end of each procedure.

There's a reset code, but Dave Moulton's forgotten it! Big Smile

• 02-08-2009 6:16 PM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

Soundproof thank you for the help but still doesn't seem to work.

Do you know if the synch cable also enables both speakers to turn off and on at the same time (as opposed to pointing the remote at each one individually) or if it only synchronises the volume?

best

Philip

• 02-08-2009 6:20 PM In reply to

The sync cable adjusts both volume and operation. Check that you have the cable correctly attached by shielding the Beo4 so that only one speaker "sees" the remote. When you switch on (RADIO) and off (STANDBY), both should respond.

Make sure you have the remote set to RADIO when you change the option.

And again, definitely not wanting to insult you, but I have seen the sync cable pushed into the wrong receptacle. Behind the rubber cover, and make sure it's pushed all the way in, worth using a flashlight.

• 02-08-2009 6:37 PM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

Soundproof thank you so much for your help and no worry about insulting me (I am insult proof).

Have set both speakers to option 1 (this seems to work, I set both speakers independently).

I have made sure L and R are set on both speakers. I have made sure they mini jack connector 'clicks' all the way in. I have removed the rubber covers.

Awgh I am really hoping it is something easy and stupid as they are big and bulky to go back to the dealer. 

Thank you so much for your ideas

Philip

• 02-08-2009 6:38 PM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

If it wasn't clear. When I go to turn the speakers on or off (as well as change volume) I need to do so on each seporately. So it seems the synch cable is not working for on/off or volume.

• 02-09-2009 2:22 PM In reply to

I go along with Steve at Sounds Heavenly. I've never been confident about the sync cable, and I use non-B&O gear. I preset and have the Beo4 memorize levels for each BL5 so whenever I come from Standby to On I get those calibrated levels. I then control system levels prior to the BL5s. It works extremely well, with few questions. I hope this helps. Best regards, Dave Moulton
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 02-09-2009 2:29 PM In reply to

Thanks Dave,

That is a good solution, which I will suggest to my customers in future.

Best regards,

Steve.

• 02-09-2009 2:37 PM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

I have now checked with B&O technical and they say it is not a set up issue and that it should work no problem. I am not able to do as you guys (steve and dave) say as I am running a digital signal directly into the speaker and thus controlling the volume from the speakers (and not from a pre-amp before the speaker...)

Next step is to change the cable and make 100% sure that there is no issue there. After that I fear the moving van will have to come haul them off. Hope not.

thank you for all the advice

best

• 02-10-2009 1:20 PM In reply to

Interesting that you're sceptical of the sync-cable, Dave. What are the specific reasons?

I had a regular minijack cable, and that didn't work. Worked fine when I ordered the B&O one, which was a mystery, as I couldn't understand what was different between them. (Someone in another thread here stated that the connections are switched around on the B&O version, though I doubt that.)

I'm not comfortable with the "turning the volume to maximum" as Steve suggests. Both because of the hiss the speakers then produce, but also because you might risk that some other user will turn the volume on the non-B&O unit "to 11" with a resulting blast of sound that will clean teeth.
    Before I had a working sync cable I set the volume as high as the speakers could go without producing any hissing (this may be dependent upon what you are connecting them to - but all speakers will produce some hissing.)

I then stored that level,and had it easily retrievable through the Beo4, as Dave mentions.

But again - would very much like to hear why you are sceptical of the sync cable, Dave.

Cheers!

• 02-10-2009 1:28 PM In reply to

Well I'm just super-angry with the whole "sync" thing. 

I order the cable, and it doesn't work, only to find out that my version of Beolab 5's are too early models... Why on earth put the sync connection there in the first place=!  And tell me from the manual that this works...?

I'm also getting no help from my dealer, I'm not buying anymore stuff from him.

-Andreas

• 02-10-2009 1:55 PM In reply to

That's a shame, and very strange. I agree, if the connector is there, and there's no mention in the manual that only specific BL5s can use it ...

But Dave may have some reasons that will make us not want to use one!

• 02-10-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

Soundproof wrote: "Interesting that you're sceptical of the sync-cable, Dave. What are the specific reasons? I had a regular minijack cable, and that didn't work. Worked fine when I ordered the B&O one, which was a mystery, as I couldn't understand what was different between them. But again - would very much like to hear why you are sceptical of the sync cable, Dave." I have very early units, and I never got the sync cable to work. Because of my work, I have a nicve workaround, and never bothered to chase the problem down, that's all. Best, Dave Moulton
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >