in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-27-2009 9:00 PM by Dave. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-13-2009 3:12 PM

BeoLab 2

Hi,

I currently have 2 BL8000's as front speakers and two BL6000's as rear speakers and am just about to get a BV 4 with a BL 7.1 front speaker, and have considered having the wiring put in place so I can possibly add a BL 2 at some point.

Do you feel that a BL 2 will add anything significant to the overall sound experience of my speaker set-up or will there be little detectable difference for the cost involved ?

Regards

Keith

• 01-13-2009 3:18 PM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 2

Lab2 is a must in any B&O surround system - makes an enormous difference, believe me!
  • 01-13-2009 3:26 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Agreed! However, I always insist that you would be better off getting a pair of BeoLab 9s! They provide almost everything the BeoLab 2 delivers, and also vastly improve all other aspects of the sound when compared to the BeoLab 8000.

Another advantage is that you would be able to move the 8000s as rears and have a true 7.1 setup, which is really quite astonishing to hear! 8000s either side of the sofa with 6000s or a single 6000 wall mounted behind you.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-13-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

I have send mine for repaint and I have BL8000 as front and BL3 as rear.

All I can say is that sound is so bad without BL2 - Believe me

• 01-13-2009 4:42 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Depends entirely on the main speakers used. It will never sound 'poor' without a subwoofer, just often lacking in bass. BeoLab 8000s are always going to struggle to fill a medium or large room with powerful bass without a subwoofer, but BeoLab 9s can cope quite easily.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-13-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Depends entirely on the main speakers used. It will never sound 'poor' without a subwoofer, just often lacking in bass.

The BL3s sound better without the BL2. In fact, most of the more recent B&O speakers sound better without the BL2.

• 01-13-2009 4:54 PM In reply to

I find myself amazed by this statement but I believe you since you have the speakers and I do not. Makes it very difficlt to know what to buy for s surround sound setup though for the BV7-40.

Simon.

• 01-13-2009 4:57 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

For surround sound I would almost always want a BeoLab 2 unless BeoLab 9s or 5s were in the equation, or the room in question was relatively small.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-13-2009 4:59 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

The_Beonic_Man:

I find myself amazed by this statement but I believe you since you have the speakers and I do not. Makes it very difficlt to know what to buy for s surround sound setup though for the BV7-40.

Why amazed? A BL2 doesn't add much to the playback of audio CDs. In fact, it makes the sound more 'dull'. It can't keep up with fast electronic music either.

I thought you said by PM you'd discounted the surround sound idea? I'm not going over the whole discussion again.

• 01-13-2009 5:14 PM In reply to

LOL Chris! I am always changing my mind. On the one hand I'd like to have some kind of surround setup because I enjoy my movies and I think they sound much better with at least a 5.1 setup. Having said that, I find myself balancing that up with an interior design viewpoint as well, which is equally (if not more) important to me. I don't really feel that the dimensions of my flat allow for surround sound, no matter what speaker in the range was used. There simply isn't enough space. Its an ongoing issue but one I love coming back to and thinking of every time!!

Well it keeps me on my toes! 

Simon,.

• 01-24-2009 5:50 AM In reply to

• 01-24-2009 6:32 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Looks very nice with the White 8000's. Having it close to the 8000's makes the Black bases look good too. As I always though they should be White too.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-25-2009 9:31 AM In reply to

I agree with Craig here, the black bases fit quite well with the contrasting colour of the wall and the drivers of the BL2. Love the paint job, I've never liked the original grey colour.

• 01-25-2009 12:01 PM In reply to

Fantastic look in white! 

Contemplating our BL 2 in black.  If the white frets were available for my Beolab 1's, I might have to consider paint the BL 2 in white.

Thank you for the photo.

• 01-25-2009 12:35 PM In reply to

That looks very nice in white color.

I have a BL2 in my A/V setup (BL8000 in front and BL4000 for the rear). It is worth every penny.

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 01-25-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

Very nice indeed - the contrast between the black and white is great.

If buying for a music system, the new sub-woofer sounds interesting though.

• 01-25-2009 12:55 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

moxxey:

It can't keep up with fast electronic music either.

Agree 100%

Even though i love the Beolab2 for the way it delivers low frequencies, especially in a surround setup,

it struggles with fast electronic music, the bass isn't "tight" enough.

• 01-25-2009 12:58 PM In reply to

akeithj

Referring back to the original question, it is always clear from the differing answers, and comments in other posts on this topic that speakers are a very personal topic, so other people answering the question for you will never confirm your question.

Realistically, if you are going to spend £1,500 on a BL2 I think you can expect a dealer to bring the speaker to your home and demo the effect of with, and without. Only then will you know whether it is right for YOU.

I have had your set up of 8000/6000s and certainly enjoyed the effect of BL2 to the surround sound. Certainly I suggest that you at least have the wiring in place to give you the option of adding the BL2.

I then upgraded to a BL9/BL3 set up, and had the 9's demoed at home - my dealer was fully expecting to trade in my BL2 along with the 8000s and 6000s, on the basis of what others say here, that the BL9s do not need a BL2. When listening to music, I agreed that this was the case, but in a surround sound movie, I personally felt there was something missing without the BL2, so ended up keeping it with the 9s and 3s.

Just my view and certainly suspect not that of others

Justin

• 01-27-2009 4:19 AM In reply to

Justin,

Thank you, that was very useful.

Regards

Keith

• 01-27-2009 5:52 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The point stands, BL2 is great with movies and TV but you're better off without it when listening to music. I much prefer my BL4000's with out the BL2, the BL2 seemed to tarnish the well balanced sound.

What about adding a good non B&o sub and hide it away, if the budget is tight?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-27-2009 12:27 PM In reply to

Dave,

The concensus of opinion appears to be that with my current speaker set-up a BL2 would enhance the cinema experience, however there is talk of a replacement for BL2 later this year so I think I will wait and see what that's like. I would prefer to  stick with B&O, rather than go for another make.

Regards

Keith

• 01-27-2009 12:55 PM In reply to

Keith,

Why don't you simply wait for the new subwoofer to be launched? I have a very good feeling about the new sub since it will contain opposing drivers which will greatly improve bass speed and definition. If you can't wait till then, I suggest you get a B&W PV1 instead? 

But from your post it seems that you are just planning to do some prewiring in the event that you might get a sub so I suggest. Wait. 

Happy hunting!

Alexander

• 01-27-2009 9:00 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

You wouldn't beieve how many times this has been discussed, try searching in the little box at the top of the forum screen for "beolab 2" The consensus is that it will improve your cinema experience but the BL2 is very clumsy with music. If you don't listen to much music then you should get a beolab 2. Wink

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)