in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-07-2009 5:29 PM by sprocket. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2009 5:40 PM

Beosound 9000 problems

Hello - I was wondering if anybody could help me. I've had a Beosound 9000 for a few years and I keep having the same issues. After about 9 months of use the unit starts to do strange things. It spins cds in the opposite direction  will stop and then will start playing them or will go into pause, also it sometimes stops playing after a few tracks and moves onto the next cd. B&O have been great and this is the third unit I've had but all develop the same problem. Has anybody else had this problem?

After reading the forum here I thought perhaps the issue could be dust. Can any body tell me what sensors I should try cleaning and where they are located? Also, what's the best way of cleaning the cd lens?

This is starting to drive me crazy and the unit is now almost unplayable. Any help I can get would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

• 01-05-2009 5:53 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 9000 problems

If this is your third unit, and if the problems where caused by dust, I think you need to hire a housekeeper! Big Smile

Seriously, mine is working perfectly, and spinning the CD's in the wrong direction is something I've never heard of with any Beo CD player...

The CD lens is probably not user cleanable (I think) since it's not clearly visible, as on the BC2300 for example. There are CD's with a little brush on them designed to clean CD lenses, but I have have heard nothing but negative things about them.

If you suspect dust, you should have a technician to clean it. (But i doubt it is dust, my parents 13 year old BC2300 works perfectly and has never been cleaned.)

If you still can get a new one, I would recommend you getting a new one from your dealer... I would also expect the dealer to be curious as to what is the fault, since nobody can be too happy to replace a BS9000 three times.

Do you live in a very high moisture area? 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-05-2009 6:48 AM In reply to

Could be dust on the cd lens.

You are a silver member so suggest that you download the service manual and go through the cd test programme. Instructions for cleaning are also in the manual.

Suspect it is something to do with the environment that you use it in.

Regards Graham

• 01-05-2009 6:53 AM In reply to

I agree with Graham, I recall a while back someone else having a similar problem and he was in Hong Kong and it turned out to be related to his air-conditioning which dried the air which caused dust to build up much quicker than normal.

Regards Keith....

• 01-05-2009 2:07 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply's, it's very much appreciated.

It's so weird how each unit has done exactly the same thing. B&O in Exeter are at a complete loss as to what the problem could be. I'm really anal about my B&O and I've really looked after each unit so they've all been really well treated.

I live in Plymouth near the sea but don't have an air conditioning unit!

I was wondering if it could be to do with the amount of different cd's I play. I have about 3000 in my collection and I was wondering if the unit somehow stores an electronic imprint of each cd. Old cd's seem to play fine but you can guarantee that if you put a new cd in it won't play until a after a lot of fuss - any thoughts on this? Each unit has been fine for about 9 months, then they play up very occaisionally until it gets to the point (several months down the line) that it happens all the time.

Cheers

• 01-05-2009 2:29 PM In reply to

Hi philball,

What area of Plymouth are you in? Im in Plymstock. What position is your 9000 in? i.e vertical, horizontal or flat?

Mine is horizontal wall mounted and no problems. What about dusty/dirty cd's?

BTW, nice to have another janner on board. 

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 01-05-2009 2:29 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

salt on lens from sea?

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 01-05-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

The Plumber:

Hi philball,

What area of Plymouth are you in? Im in Plymstock. What position is your 9000 in? i.e vertical, horizontal or flat?

Mine is horizontal wall mounted and no problems. What about dusty/dirty cd's?

BTW, nice to have another janner on board. 

Come to think of it, every know and again i will get a cd that just spins and then goes to pause or moves to next cd (very rarely) and i normally find by removing that cd straight away and rubbing it against my jeans (playing side), then re-incerting it, will normally work. Which i put down to dusty cd. 

• 01-05-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

Hi,

I live crownhill/eggbuckland way :)

It's vertically mounted on a stand.

It's not the cds as all new cds are doing this, most of my old cds play first time but nearly all new cds (and I get about 2-3 a week) won't play first time. It's exactly the same fault as the last two units so it can't be this machine unless there's an inherent fault with them all! I'm really starting to think it's something to do with the sheer number of different cds I play on the unit!

Sometimes it will spin backwards, stop and then play but quite often it will spin backwards, stop, spin backwards again and then go into pause. The first unit was taken away and cleaned by B&O in their workshop and it still did the same! I just think it's so weird how all 3 have done exactly the same and all started to go wrong after about 9 months - very strange.

I could live with it but it's starting to become unplayable.

Any suggestions on cleaning the lens without using a disc cleaner as I've read here that they're not recommended!

Cheers

• 01-05-2009 4:08 PM In reply to

philball:

After reading the forum here I thought perhaps the issue could be dust. Can any body tell me what sensors I should try cleaning and where they are located?

i didn't see anyone reply regarding the hand sensors... there are two small clear "plastic" pyramidal nubs that stick up out of the aluminum plate -one either side lengthwise -have you cleaned them? i was having some odd issues, and that worked for me.

of course, you mentioned that you had at least one of them "serviced/cleaned" by b&o and it still had the same fault -i can't believe they would not have cleaned the sensors...

perhaps it's the discs themselves... at 2-3 a week -are you sourcing from the same vendor, maybe poor quality? have you taken any of the discs that have caused the fault to your dealer and tried them on their 9000?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-05-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply Jeff.

I've cleaned the sensors you mention. I'm 100% convinced it's not the cds as there are too many that just won't play first time (i.e. 100s), they're all from different sources and from good quality record labels.

It's definately the machine in some way. The B&O engineer even came to my house when the second unit went wrong to see if there was something I was doing. He did all the tests and it went wrong while he was here. He spoke to B&O head office who asked for the machine to be sent to them for testing but nobody could offer any explanation why this was happening that's why B&O replaced it with a third unit! The local engineer was at a complete loss!

• 01-05-2009 4:25 PM In reply to

well then perhaps your idea of a "buffer" of some sort getting overwhelmed by the number of cd's you are rotating in and out sounds interesting. i was thinking that perhaps a "reboot" would be of help, but of course if you have moved the 9000 for service in the past, it would have been off the mains long enough... and again, at least one of them was in b&o's hands...

multiple units / similar time frames / same failure -you would think that this would be easy?

maybe some sort of whacky electronic interference? mains power line condition? is it on a surge protector? hmmm...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-05-2009 4:36 PM In reply to

philball:

Any suggestions on cleaning the lens without using a disc cleaner as I've read here that they're not recommended

You are better off reading the instructions and the pictures describing cleaning the laser in the service manual.

It's not a job I'd want to describe over the phone never mind on a forum!

Regards Graham

• 01-05-2009 4:38 PM In reply to

I bought the best surge protector I could get when I got the third machine. I've even moved the unit to a different part of the living room. This is the third unit in 4 years - I could live with it if it was occaisionally happening but now it happens nearly every time I turn it on and lately it's started changing cds mid-way through a track.

I really don't know what to do, I can't see B&O giving me a refund (which i don't really want anyway as i love the 9000 and it sounds fantastic with my 8000 speakers) but it's becoming unusable. Equally I don't want to keep going  back to B&O every 9 months or so.

I always dreamed of having this music system and it took me a long time to save up for it but it's starting to turn into a bit of a nightmare if I'm being honest :(

• 01-05-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Electronic interrference - are you near any of the RN installations?

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 01-05-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

phil,

Bear with it mate, you've come to the right place for advice and there is a big chance that someone does understand this problem but just hasn't read this thread yet. Give it a few days before going to B&O and see what people come up with.

After all, if you really cant part with your 9000, you could always attach an airport express to the aux and stream all you music from your computer through it. Which is even better when using the iphone with the 'Remote' App. Biggest problem being is ripping your 3000 CD's to iTunes.Surprise

• 01-05-2009 4:54 PM In reply to

No, I'm not. We live on the other side of Plymouth, quite some distance from anything like that.

I would have thought that if it was something like electrical interference it would happen from when I got each unit, not after about 9 months (which has been the case with each unit). 

I know you can 'name' each cd if you choose. I'm wondering if the unit somehow stores an electronic tag for each cd that's played and because of the sheer volume of cds I have (approx 3000, although I've obviously not played them all) this has somehow 'confused' the unit - I know this sounds absolutely desperate but I haven't got any other suggestion!

• 01-05-2009 4:56 PM In reply to

Thanks Jeff, let's hope somebody knows what this is Smile
  • 01-05-2009 6:39 PM In reply to

Someone once wrote here on this forum that the BS9000 was designed with 6 CD's because the average B&O owner listens to 6 CD's. Smile

Well I buy about the same volume of CD's as you, I think I flip Discs in it at the rate of 30 or 40 a week. Haven't had mine so long, so it's going to be interesting to see if mine was to develop the same issues!  

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-06-2009 11:00 AM In reply to

• pengxy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-26-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

I had experience to replace the cd laser module which is philips vam1250 .

The playing sequence is like this ,first it senses  the cd in location this is done by  the senser in control board not the laser head and then read cd, if gets echo light from cd the motor start to spin otherwise you get pause or spin count clockwise. If the laser light blocked  by some dirt or stoped by some eletrical interferance while playing cd it will stop and move to next location to play except you have programed to play next cd.

Above just have an reference clue to find the problem ,This kind of cd laser module is not last very long if you playing a lot.

• 01-06-2009 4:10 PM In reply to

Thanks for all the interesting comments. I'm going back to B&O tomorrow to see what they say. Fingers crossed this will be sorted Smile
  • 01-07-2009 8:40 AM In reply to

Hi there....

Just a thought as you may already have checked this. Have you correctly set the positioning tabs on the machine to correspond with its placement - ie vertical or horizontal? I know that this can have an effect especially if the machine is set for horizontal setting but standing vertically.

You would have been supplied with a red key to make the adjustments to the machine.

Regards...

I wish I was the person my dog thinks I am.
  • 01-07-2009 3:23 PM In reply to

Thanks for the advice but the positioning is correct. I spoke to B&O today and they are at a complete loss and they've told me there is nothing more they can do. As the unit is still under guarantee it looks like it may have to go back and I get a refund - I'm gutted
  • 01-07-2009 5:29 PM In reply to

i think you should think about calling ghostbusters!

Hard luck.

I wish I was the person my dog thinks I am.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)