in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-30-2009 6:57 AM by tournedos. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2009 2:48 PM

Beocenter 9000, Beogram 3300, Penta questions

Fellow B&O users, 

I'm mostly ignorant of the technical details behind B&O, but I'm very enthusiastic about maintaining some equipment I am lucky to have, so I thought I would ask you all for your advice. 

Are there any B&O technicians in Wisconsin or Illinois? Or is anyone around Madison, WI or Chicago, IL who could help me out?

I have recently inherited a Beocenter 9000, 2 Penta speakers and a Beogram 3300. Everything is in great shape, with two exceptions.

The CD cover on the Beocenter has become dislodged (little kids), the cover is still attached, but it's loose and seems to have fallen off its "sliding mechanism"...but I believe the CD player itself still works. I have read that the Beocenter 9000 CD player has some problems...I hope it doesn't require "that little part" that no one has!

The speakers sound great, when both of them are working together. However, sometimes when I play a record, the second speaker (I think it's the same one everytime) fully "kicks on" after a little play, or after I have turned the volume up pretty loud...it occasionally falls out and I hear sound out of both speakers, but one of them is driving more than the other. 

Anyway, thank you for the help! 

John

• 01-28-2009 3:02 PM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 9000, Beogram 3300, Penta questions

Hello John, welcome to Beoworld!

I'll have to pass on the CD since I'm not familiar with that type, I'm sure someone else will jump in on that.

However, the speaker problem sounds like a faulty muting relay, which is very common in all B&O amps from this era. It's the relay that is supposed to silence the "local" pair of speakers when you press "mute".

If you have no use for the mute function, the easiest repair is to move the speakers to the no. 2 connectors, they bypass the muting relay and the problem should go away - at least try it first. The relay itself is not very expensive, but it is a bit of work to replace it - I wouldn't recommend it as your first B&O project unless you're experienced with that kind of stuff.

-mika

• 01-30-2009 12:37 AM In reply to

Hello, thank you for the information...I'm not sure what you mean by "the no. 2 connectors", is this found on the speakers or on the stereo?

Thanks, 

John

• 01-30-2009 6:57 AM In reply to

The stereo - take a look at the rear panel, there are two pairs of loudspeaker connectors. The muting function only affects the first pair.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)