in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-02-2009 10:24 AM by Spiros. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-24-2008 11:06 PM

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Beovision 3 Buzzing noise

Hi all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just received my BV3 and installed it. I can say this is real great looking TV and what a screen!!

However, I'm experiensing the following problem:

When I change the channel there is a buzzing noise coming from behind the screen and in some channels there is no sound. Actually the sound comes (when I switch to the chanel) for 3sec. and then "mutes".  This does not happen in all chanels but in some of them (from the terestrial antenna)

I also noticed that this buzzing sound does go away when I go on the menu tuning etc but could be just

Any hints?

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-25-2008 4:55 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision 3 Buzzing noise

I wonder if you have the correct PAL system set up. I take it that it works with a digital signal? And I imagine it came from another country? If so we need to change the PAL system chosen in the menu.
  • 12-25-2008 5:02 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Hello Peter.

Many thanks for the reply and Merry Christmas to you and family.

I tried to do this but I couldn't find how to set it up on the menu. Actually there was no reference on the systme for some reason.

Do you happen to remember how to do it?

Many regards

Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-25-2008 5:50 AM In reply to

Just had a play - mine doesn't have it but when you go to the Tuning menu, you should get a heading with system on it. This needs to be set for the correct type for Greece. Page 24 and 25 of the reference manual. Which type number is your BV3? Is it from another country and does it work with digital? The fact you get sound for a short time is very encouraging! Smile
  • 12-25-2008 6:08 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Mine doesn't as well. Wonder how I could have this System ON. It was purchased by LS-AV so obviously on the English system and I need the B/G that we use in Greece.

However even on the Sat it does in some cases the buzzing noise comes up.

And as you said, it's just for s hort time and it comes only when I change the chanel. Let's see.

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-25-2008 12:05 PM In reply to

Hi Spirost,

Is the buzzing noise always there when you changing the channels? I have had this noise also in my BV3 only afer some time the BV3 was ON and ONLY when very light/bright colors came on the screen. The 100Hz system is than trying to optimise the picture! The cable at the top rear side on the tube starts buzzing and has to be fixed. The BV3 MENU gives a dark screen. Try light pictures and start exploring when it happens.

With my MX TV I also had the buzzing sound when changing channels. The fix was an not wel locked socket on one of the print boards after a repair.

Regards, Robert

• 12-25-2008 11:26 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

HI Robert,

Many thanks for the tip which I will give it a try. The problem is as exactly you describe it.

Do you know by any chance how you can make the "System" menu appear on the manual tuning? I might need to change this as well because in some terestrial chanels I have sound for 3 seconds and then dissapears.

Best regards

Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-26-2008 7:12 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

This is an interesting topic for me, as I have the same problem too. My BV3 has just been away for repair. B&O said they could not find any faults with it though. When I got it home it was fine for a few days, but it has started to do it again.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-26-2008 1:32 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Now my friend I'm really confused.................... Confused

I'll give it a try on Monday and keep you informed about the outcome which I hope is a good one!!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-26-2008 1:34 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Keith??!  Any ideas?

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-26-2008 1:42 PM In reply to

Hi Spiros,

Download the service manual. Page 5-12 tells you how to change the tuner to receive B/G. At a guess your tuner is set to 16 as mine is. Yours needs to be set to 1. 

Best wishes,

• 12-26-2008 2:25 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Dear Peter.

Fantastic!!!!!!!! I have now sound to all chanels and format works perfectly!!!
    Plus changed the teletext on Greek version.
    Many many thanks!!
    Noise still remains in some cases but this will be taken care of the techs!!

You are really great!

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-26-2008 4:07 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Just another thought that came into my mind.

Could the buzzing noise might have to do with the power supply? I have the TV set on a multiplug unit along with the Beosound 4, DVD and SAT Rx. Also the buzzing noise comes only when a colorful image is appearing. 

Any thoughts on this?

Craig, have you already tried a multiplug with voltage stabilizer (i'm not quite sure about the correct English word)?

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-26-2008 4:11 PM In reply to

Sounds like multimedia Robert has the answer to that one. May be something a little loose from transit.
  • 12-26-2008 11:45 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

I think it should be what Robest mentioned. Is it possible that this can be fixed in the house and not take the TV to the B&O techs?

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-27-2008 5:35 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

spirost:

Just another thought that came into my mind.

Could the buzzing noise might have to do with the power supply? I have the TV set on a multiplug unit along with the Beosound 4, DVD and SAT Rx. Also the buzzing noise comes only when a colorful image is appearing. 

Any thoughts on this?

Craig, have you already tried a multiplug with voltage stabilizer (i'm not quite sure about the correct English word)?

Mine is connected through a Belkin Surge Protector. What I have noticed is with my noise it is more to do with sound than picture brightness. Going to have a play with the brightness settings just to check though.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-27-2008 8:45 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Hi Craig,

Just connected a Surge protector and I have to admit there was a significant reduction. But still in some cases it is done.

I've already contacted my local B&O Techs and I'll let you know once I have it hopefully done!!!

Regards

Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-27-2008 11:15 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

spirost:

Hi Craig,

Just connected a Surge protector and I have to admit there was a significant reduction. But still in some cases it is done.

I've already contacted my local B&O Techs and I'll let you know once I have it hopefully done!!!

Regards

Spiros

Thanks Spiros, if you could let me know what they find. Going to talk to my dealer again has the guarantee has now expired.

CraigSmile

• 12-27-2008 1:21 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Will inform you directly as soon as I have the news!

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-29-2008 2:31 AM In reply to

With regards to this apparent buzzing noise, lets start by addressing a few points raised in this thread.

If you are getting a buzzing noise ONLY on analogue channels and from the speaker(s) then this is what is called "Vision on Sound" in the TV industry and would happen a lot on older TV's. This is where the vision carrier gets mixed with the 6Mhz (5.5 Mhz in most parts of Europe) sound carrier. In fact that is one of the key differences between PAL I (UK) and PAL B/G most other parts of Europe. The causes can be many, but the most common two are related to the aerial and earthing/power as below:-

• If you have an aerial which is not correctly aligned it may give a reasonable picture, but with sound issues and if it is above a certain level then the Beovision will mute the sound and depending on the setting of the ACG (automatic gain control) may only happen for a short period.
    • Also if you have two aerials which are diplexed together incorrect then there will be an impedance mismatch which can also cause the same problem. If you have an impedance mismatch, then you will also find that weather conditions such as rain will effect teh condition. NOTE: Diplexed means the joining of two aerials via a diplexer to ensure consistent impedance match of normally 75 ohms.
    • The other condition relates mainly to earthing/power where the aerial screen is either connected to an earth or is earthed via a piece of equipment and there is a potential difference between neutral and earth of more than a few volts.

If you are getting the buzzing noise intermittently (just a couple of seconds) on any channel and the buzzing is NOT coming through the speakers but apparently from the back of the screen, then the problem is likely to be "Corona discharge" which is where there is a brief electrical discharge from the anode cable which runs from the EHT transformer to the tube anode. This can occur where there is a lot of dirt or dust build up and will normally happen when you change channels. The picture will also briefly disappear in most cases.

Given that several members have stated they have a similar problem, I think each needs to define exactly where your buzzing sound is coming from, the duration and if it happens on all channels or just analogue channels and take each persons problem as a seperate problem.

Regards Keith....

• 12-29-2008 3:21 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Dear Keith,

Many thanks for this detailed analysis. I indeed have the problem on almost all chanels now and even on Sat ones as well. In most of the cases the sound will come after a few minutes the TV is on and will usually will come and go when I change channels. However the noise is getting a bit worse and now in some chanels coming more frequently.

I did check thoroughly the sourse of the sound and it is not the speakers but this comes from the back of the screen.

I really appreciate your help and support on this matter which I'm sure you understand that is a bit sad since I did expect this TV which I really consider the best after my AV9000!

Warm regards

Spiros 

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-29-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

Spiros,

So, your problem occurs:-

• On all Channels
    • The buzzing comes from the back of the screen and not through the speakers
    • It is becoming more frequent

We need to establish a little more detail, so perhaps you can answer the following questions:-

1. How long does the buzzing last, a few seconds each time it happens or much longer ?
    2. When the buzzing occurs, does it affect the picture in any way, faint lines, picture breakup or any picture change ?
    3. Is there any smell of burning ?
    4. Is the noise really a buzzing noise or is it more of a hissing sound ?

Regards Keith....

• 12-29-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Hello Keith,

Here are the answers!

1. The noise will come for 3-4 seconds after changing the channel but will do this very frequently now while watching the same channel without changing it.

2. There is absolutely no affect on the picture in anyway.

3. No smell of burning (Thank God!)

4. Noise is buzzing the sound like when short circuit is made (compared to this sound without meaning that there is such a problem)

Additionally, because it was mentioned for sound problems, the noise comes even when sound is muted to 00 

Also, I did remove the terestrial antenna (which is connected to the modulator since the TV is used as a master and the noise did not dissapear) 

Please let me know for any additional info I can give.

Many regards

Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-30-2008 2:30 AM In reply to

Spiros,

Thank you for your answers which based on them appears to put "Corona discharge" as the most likely cause of your problem.

The only way to be 100% certain is for a Technician to remove the back of the Beovision and actually observe the fault which if it is "Corona discharge" then a small blue spark will be seen with the buzzing noise anywhere along the EHT (Extra High Tension) cable from the EHT transformer to the anode cap on the tube. This is an area where the voltages are very high at around 25,000 volts, so any build up of dirt, particularly grease laiden provides a secondary route for the high voltage. If the discharge is only small it may not effect the picture.

A common time when this type of problem occurs is after a TV has been moved particular just after the set has been switched off where the remaining static on the EHT cable attracts disturbed dust.

Unless you have knowledge and experience of the repair of CRT TV's, then this is one best left to the service centre.

Regards Keith....

• 12-30-2008 3:24 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Dear Keith,

Many thanks for the input.

It seems like a small problem.

Talking with the chief electronic eng. of my company, he saw your points and he said that if this is a case of static electricity only, I should remove the plug out of the power socket for a few hours (maybe overnight) so that any static electicity will be discharged. Do you think that such a thing could solve the problem or at least until the service picks up the TV for thorough cleaning (if the latter of course will help)?

Warm regards

Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >