in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-01-2009 2:14 AM by Xseries. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2009 3:35 PM

Beolink Passive

Hi folks.

Would really welcome some advice. I have just bought a (used) Passive to connect some non B&O speakers to my BV3 and Ouverture. I can't seem to get any sound through the passive speakers. In fact, the light stays 'red' on the Passive...I may be a noddy but I'm guessing it shoud turn green when activated...

I have tried connecting the Passive to the TV directly and also to the BL6000s but nothing happens.

I do not have the IR receiver and my understanding is that this is not required for operation. How does one turn the Passive on?! Any other ideas as to why it is not operating the speakers?

Many thanks for any help.

C

• 01-30-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Re: Beolink Passive

Are you using a fully wired (8 core) mk2 cable to connect the passive to the sources?- i have recently been advised that is the one to use!

tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 01-30-2009 4:06 PM In reply to

Yes, I think so. It came from a seller who was using the same cable so I assume so. 

Cheers Tony 

• 01-30-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

What kind of connection have you made? Masterlink, Powerlink?

• 01-30-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

It's powerlink.

cheers

• 01-30-2009 6:43 PM In reply to

Have fiddled around for ages connecting it to different powerlink sockets on the TV, to the final BL6000 in the daisy link chain, but still the red light stays on. Have tried a different powerlink cable and still the same problem. I get the feeling it is something simple.

Do I need to alter anything on the Speaker/Sound settings on the TV? Should it be connected to the TV or to the BL6000?

Aaaagh!

Thanks

• 01-31-2009 5:19 AM In reply to

Just spoken to someone who says that I need to Masterlink the Passive as that is the only way to connect it...

Is that right? I thought Powerlink worked too.

Thanks.

• 01-31-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

It should work off Powerlink - I use one (a Passive) from the Powerlink output of my TV to power the passive and drive a pair of CX100s.

Brian

• 01-31-2009 6:01 AM In reply to

As Brian says the Beolink passive DOES work correctly if you connect the Beovision 3 Powerlink output to it.

The question I would ask is have you enabled the speakers in the Beovision 3, depending on which sockets you are using ?

Regards Keith....

• 01-31-2009 6:22 AM In reply to

The Beovision has the Dolbyboard with two BL6000s connected to it (which work perfectly well). Do I need to do anything to enable the other sockets? The BL6000s are set as front speakers. I do not have rears. The TV is masterlinked to the Ouverture.

I have also tried attaching the Passive to the free socket on the 'end' BL6000 (they are daisy chained) but to no avail. The speaker just hums very loudly.

• 01-31-2009 6:42 AM In reply to

Taking into consideration everything you have said so far, then clearly you either have a faulty Beolink Passive or a cable issue.

In my view its more than likely a Powerlink cable issue and the connections for a fully wire cable are below.

The yellow wire connected to pin 4 is the signal which turns the Beolink Passive on (green Led). There are some units I have come across which have pins 1 and pin 4 reversed which allows the unit to power up, but gives a loud noise when switched off.

If the cable you are using is a standard B&O cable then it should be fine otherwise I suggest you check teh connections.

Regards Keith....

• 01-31-2009 7:44 AM In reply to

Just disconnect the earthing wire inside the B&O amplifier. This stops this annoying plopp when switching on/off

• 01-31-2009 1:38 PM In reply to

Thanks Keith, and everyone else above. All the input much appreciated - what a great forum and resource this is.

Going to try replacing the powerlink cable and see if this has an effect.

Have a good weekend.

C

• 02-01-2009 2:14 AM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

I have come to the conclusion that the connections can be temperamental as my passive (driving a pair of CX100s at the rear) would not switch on yesterday!  I wish there was some way of controlling it directly!

Brian

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)