in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-17-2008 10:49 AM by basscadet. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-16-2008 1:31 PM

rx-2

Greetings.How do i replace the belt on my rx-2? It seemed straight forward until i tried to remove the old belt.  is ther a way to remove the top plate so as to give access to the small drive pulley?

thanks!

• 12-16-2008 2:15 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: rx-2

Hi and welcome to BeoworldSmile

Underneath the front edge there are 2 cross head screws (one at each corner). This allows the top plate to be removed. Be careful when doing this as it is easy to catch & damage the tonearm. There will also be the stop/start button to remove which simply slots in at the right hand side of the front plate and a multi connector to unplug. It can be quite tricky replacing it as there are 2 tabs at the back which are awkward to juggle back into place.

I think you may just get away with lifting it slightly at the left hand side and slipping the belt over the pully.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-16-2008 2:43 PM In reply to

Thanks Chris,  that would have done the trick nicely (especialy the info about start stop button;  that would have been a bad moment...). i say 'would have' had the replacement belt i ordered actually been the right size...  it seems about 1.5cm (while doubled up and held next to the original) too short...  an old(original) belt wouldn't relax that much would it?

steve 

• 12-16-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

That's not a problem Steve - contact member Dillen (Martin) and he can supply you with the correct size belt. To do this simply click on the link I've provided and send him a PM (private message). To be honest I had a feeling the belt you had wouldn't fit as there are lots of retailers out there selling what they claim to be the correct ones and most buyers end up here looking for advice.

His belts are of excellent quality and guaranteed to be the correct fit, he's a real doyen and asset to Beoworld and its members.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-16-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

thanks Chris.  I did that and will wait to hear from him.  I've had my rx-2 since 1986 maybe and haven't done anything to it other than play records. after 20 some years i decided to buy a cartridge and belt ( i hope one of those soundsmith aftermarket ones works... i'm waiting on the mail order.  i should've checked here first, though at the time i didn't know 'here' was here...

thanks again.

steve 

• 12-16-2008 4:53 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi Steve,

you won't go wrong with a soundsmith cartridge. They are highly recommended on here and several of us own them - myself included (SMMC4). Much better than the B&O originals but not quite as refined in manufacture, the lack of a stylus guard being the most obvious difference. Soundsmith actually produce these under license for B&O and they are sold in their stores for @ £175 for a SMMC4, The owner of the company actually reverse manufactured these from an existing cartridge as B&O no longer had the original manufacturing spec's - a very talented guy. Worth every penny. If you haven't recieved it yet be prepared to pay import duties on it thoughSad

Make sure you have set the tracking force properly to ensure its longevity - details are HERE on how to do it correctly.

Chris.

• 12-16-2008 5:20 PM In reply to

Once again Chris, thanks for guidance; the tracking force overview is clear as can be.  i shouldn't have import duties as i live in montana, which (mostly) seems to be part of the US, though it feels pretty far away from the rest of the place. 

cheers! 

steve 

• 12-16-2008 5:26 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

You're welcome, Well you speak excellent English for an AmericanBig Smile (I should really have guessed with you owning a RX-2 that you were from over the pond).

No prob's and please feel free to ask for any advice if/when you need it.

Chris.

• 12-17-2008 2:08 AM In reply to

Were the rx-2's only a US thing?  i just remember it being the only B & O i could almost afford...

Thanks for the kind words about not mangling this common language too badly.

steve 

• 12-17-2008 5:50 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I'm not sure about it being a US only turntable but there seems to be hundreds sold over there and not so many in Europe.

Of course I was speaking in jest re:- the language and glad you saw the lighter side of my commentSmile

Chris.

• 12-17-2008 10:49 AM In reply to

But of course; no other interpretation even occurred to me (though honestly i can think of more than several people who would only have perceived a slight, gnashing their teeth and wielding their SUVs like blunt instruments on the dry flat pavement for days in retaliation... or something like that. i live near some truly odd folks here in the land of wal-mart shoppers.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)