in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-30-2008 10:26 AM by Chrisreunion. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-28-2008 10:36 AM

Beoport

With all the fuss about BS5 and the costs involved, I wanted to share how I've managed to make the shortfalls of Beoport work for me. Aplogies if this is old rope and everyone out there is doing exactly the same.

So, whats the big problem with beoport? Obviously the inability to change music without actually sitting at the computer where the music is situated. Solution? iPod/iTouch with 'remote' app downloaded from iTunes. With this perfect setup press netmusic within Beo4, then immediately press the stop button to silence netmusic. Then with your iPod you can actually see all of your library and tracks playing, you can browse from any room in the house without going near your computer. You can pause, increase/decrease the volume etc etc.

Very simplistically, isn't this better than either netmusic on its own or BS5? At a zillionth of the price?

Brian (apologies if this is what everyone else is doing)

• 11-28-2008 12:20 PM In reply to

Re: Beoport

That's exactly what I'm thinking, comparing the price of BeoPort + laptop PC to BS5, you can get 4 or 5 BeoPort boxes + laptops for the same  price..I've ended up connecting my lingin room's laptop to the BV7 in the bedroom, and control the BV7's navigation with a cordless mouse, that makes it possible to have the PC in the "main" room with BeoPort, and a second screen in another room with the sound coming via Masterlink.

What bothers me with BS5 is that the screen is just a screen & navigation wheel, so why on earth didn't B&O make it wireless & battery powered??

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 11-29-2008 10:44 AM In reply to

The soundquality of BeoPort + laptop is NOT good even with a high- end soundcard,with the bs5 the sound is much,much better!
  • 11-29-2008 1:22 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

I have to disagree on this!

I have connected my Beoport in the Attic with the main computer. On there I have a pair of Beovox RL6000 with a custom made B&O amp made by Ulf.

I have never heard such a sound. Really powerful and without any distortion at all.

I doubt if BS5 will have any success apart from people who do not care for any disadvantages of the product. In my opinion it is far behind curent technology.

Best regards

Spiros

• 11-30-2008 10:26 AM In reply to

The sound from BeoPort depends indeed on the soundcard's performance, and without sounding provocative, I believe there are a few cards that perform better than a few current BeoSounds..! In my case my laptop is connected via a USB external soundcard to my BV7 using one of the four digital inputs, and BeoPort only serves as the control center in the main room, while the analog output from the PC feeds BeoPort only in link rooms, where CD sound quality is really not a priority for me..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)