in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-27-2008 4:19 AM by Steve at Sounds Heavenly. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-25-2008 2:37 PM

General IR code converter question regarding RCA and DIN plugs

I have asked Dillen but he sugests that other members here may know something?

In the manual downloadable from Beoworld it clearly says on page 9 of the pdf that I must use:

One 5 Pin DIN cable and one adabter to make it to DIN and RCA.

The RCA goes into Tape2 play or in. The other end goes to the powerlink on the Beovision.

Now my version of the Beomaster 8000 does not have play or RCA on Tape2 only a 5 Pin DIN connection which makes the adbapter on the 5 pin DIN cable and RCA not useable.

The manual warns me doing powerlink straight to Tape2 so how should it be connected?

I can make the Tape2 DIN to RCA by using another adapter and use the original cable.

Is this ok and safe for the Beomaster?

Dillen says the signal level is different between DIN and RCA but the Beomaster 8000 may not have this.

Can anybody help me? 

• 11-25-2008 4:04 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Re: General IR code converter question regarding RCA and DIN plugs

Hi Friedmett 

I have been using Powerlink outputs to Beomaster Tape inputs for a long time now.  My solution has worked successfully although I must admit that I don't really know how technically sound this connection is.  Most important of all, it hasn't resulted in any damage that I am aware of and the quality of the sound is good.  In my case, I use the powerlink output from a Beolink wireless receiver connected to a central beoport, and this provides a very convenient NMusic and NRadio source to all of my old beomasters.  It continues to work OK on all beomasters, from the old BM1400 to the BM8000.

The answer was to make up my own connecting lead using two 5 pin DIN plugs and a shielded two core cable.  The one end takes the three audio output pins from the powerlink and the other end connects to the three input pins for the TAPE input.  The pin numbers are readily available on this site.  All other pins remain open and there is no data link connection.  The important part is that the resulting cable is one-directional and the end for the powerlink plug has to be clearly marked.

Some may consider this to be a "dodgy" solution but it has provided me with many years of high quality audio listening on the old beomasters which would otherwise have been redundant.  Our local radio programs here are definitely not the best and I absolutely hate screeching adverts.

Good luck with your connection

Geoff

• 11-26-2008 5:23 AM In reply to

Hi Geoff,

Yes, this solution is workable.  The thing to remember is that the output on the Powerlink sockets varies with the master volume, so you need to increase the volume until you get a suitable output level.  Just be careful if you have speakers connected to the other Powerlink output!

There are also differences quoted in the standard DIN and RCA line levels, but these refer to the line inputs rather than Powerlink, as the Powerlink level is adjustable (hope this makes sense!)

Whilst this is not a solution that B&O are likely to recommend, I have used this to good effect on many installations where clients wanted to use Powerlink outputs from a BeoSound system to drive a conventional (non-B&O) amplifier and passive speakers (usually for existing in-wall and in-ceiling speaker installations).  This has become so popular that I now sell a "powerlink to RCA cable" to allow users to connect their equipment in this way.  As long as care is exercised with volume levels and connections, this does not present a problem.

Best regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 11-26-2008 10:01 AM In reply to

Sounds good.

This means that a 5 pin DIN cable going into Powerlink on my LX5500. The other is not in use and I don't plan too with my current systems. The other end can go straight into Tape2 5 pin DIN and it would work without trouble?

• 11-27-2008 4:19 AM In reply to

Hi Friedmett,

Yes, in this case a "straight through" 5pin DIN to 5pin DIN cable should do the job, ie. one where pin 3 goes to pin 3, pin 1 to pin 1, etc. with all 5 pins connected.  I keep these in stock at 0.75m length, or I can make them to order at any length up to 100m if this is of interest?

Best regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)