in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2008 4:40 PM by Puncher. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2008 3:27 PM

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

getting ready for the future

Hello

i just bought a cd today and want to rip it to data for storing on my beomedia and maybe beosound 5 in the future when one becomes availible second hand so my question is

ripping settings

i hear allot about lossless what is the best way to rip the muisc i have WMA (lossless) or WAV (lossless) or high quality MP3 @ 320kbs

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 12-03-2008 3:58 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Re: getting ready for the future

best Quality:

- WAV
    - MP3 (256-320kb)
    - WMA

If it is an option for Beosound 5 (I don't know if it supports it) you can use AAC, too. AAC on the same compression (e.g. 256 kb/s) sounds better than MP3.
    Best sounding codec was ATRAC from Sony ... but they never opened it and now it's dead :-(

Personaly I never would use WMA!

WAV or MP3 is much more compatible and usable on a huge number of devices (computers, phones, mp3-walkman etc.)

EDIT:
    I don't think that FLAC is an option because it's just a system that "reconstructs" your music.

If space doesn't matter you should go for WAV as this is some kind of PCM-Rawdata from the Audio-CD. In times of huge harddisks it is the way to go.

• 12-03-2008 4:00 PM In reply to

Flac.

But at the moment the bs-5 doesn't support it.

editing tags is not possible when you using wav.

• 12-03-2008 4:14 PM In reply to

WAV is uncompressed, same quality as the original CD.

WMA Lossless, is compressed, a bit more than 50%, so you can store twice as many in the same space, but, as it is lossless, the quality is strictly identical to WAV and the original CD. At any point in the future, you can convert it to any other format.

MP3, it is a lossy format. The difference might not be audible, but there is a difference. 

WMA (Lossy) and AAC (Lossy) are lossy formats, used mainly by Windows Media Player for the first and iTunes for the second. AAC is an open standard. Both offer a better quality than MP3 for the same compression rate.

--

If you convert to a lossless format, any lossless format, then you can always batch convert to any other format at a later time without any loss to the first compression.

p. 

• 12-03-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

PhilLondon:

WAV is uncompressed, same quality as the original CD.

WMA Lossless, is compressed, a bit more than 50%, so you can store twice as many in the same space, but, as it is lossless, the quality is strictly identical to WAV and the original CD. At any point in the future, you can convert it to any other format.

MP3, it is a lossy format. The difference might not be audible, but there is a difference. 

WMA (Lossy) and AAC (Lossy) are lossy formats, used mainly by Windows Media Player for the first and iTunes for the second. AAC is an open standard. Both offer a better quality than MP3 for the same compression rate.

--

If you convert to a lossless format, any lossless format, then you can always batch convert to any other format at a later time without any loss to the first compression.

p. 

I would say, by definition, any lossless format is the right way to go now, given the price of storage (I personally would use a Raid 1 system, you only want to do it once)!

WMA, AAC or FLAC lossless formats depend upon what you intend to play them on. B&O favour WMA for their systems so that maybe the way to go for some. In any case, as PhilLondon says, all can be converted to each other, again losslessly and so you lose nothing other than time (and maybe disc space) if you have to convert your collection from one format to another.

I feel that lossy formats are now the realm of portable players and internet streaming (and even then, depending upon your player storage capacity). Why forsake quality when a 1Tb drive is only ~£70?

I don't see any point in WAV as it takes nearly twice the space for no audible benefit.

WMA and AAC can have DRM issues if the music is bought and downloaded from the net, if you rip from CD there isn't a problem. FLAC is favoured by some HD audio download sites (and some band sites who allow tracks to b downloaded FOC) and is DRM free.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-03-2008 4:32 PM In reply to

what about the tags?

• 12-03-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

koning:

what about the tags?

Good point - I'm not sure regarding FLAC, WMA & AAC should be OK depending, I suppose, on what you use to rip. I would have to do a trial rip with a CD. Agree regarding WAV, but as I said I can't think of a good reason to rip to WAV.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)