in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-22-2007 3:30 AM by fotografa. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2007 12:35 AM

Beovision Avant 28 Picture Tube

Further to my earlier post about my Beovision Avant 28 Mk I, type 8133.

I believe the tube for these was made by Philips. Did philips also use the same tube in any of their televisions? Is it possible to swap a tube from a Philips to the Beovision?

I'm just trying to avoid the AUD$1200+ dollar replacement bill.

regards

Shane

• 05-21-2007 1:58 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision Avant 28 Picture Tube

Yes - but playing with TVs is a dangerous business and best left to a professional. Setting up the tube is also tricky - I would not have the first idea of where to start. If you have done something similar in the past, I would drop Tim Jarman a line - you can contact him via Beocentral and he can give you an idea. He will not encourage you of you are not experienced as the voltages and currents inside a TV set can be lethal.
  • 05-21-2007 2:20 AM In reply to

Many years ago I did change a tube, but I wish I had not started the job, and I was doing it along with a very knowledgeable B&O engineer.

The main issues are not so much the physical changing of the tube, but the subsequent setting up which, even for an experienced person is at best time consuming.

Also, as Peter says the voltages in the set when it is switch on are very high, about 30 K Volts on the tube anode as an example.

Frankly, unless you are very technically knowledgeable about modern TV systems, I would get the B&O dealer to do the work.

Regards Keith....

• 05-21-2007 6:19 AM In reply to

I have done one of these.  The fit was perfect, but i never got around to performing the full setup.  Find yourself a good TV engineer (not B and O) and I am sure that you can work something out for a lot less than 1200 !

Failing that ... just buy a later one ... they do not seem to have the problem

Neil

• 05-21-2007 9:12 AM In reply to

Yes, we had to have our tube replaced in our 32" avant vhs after only about 3 years of use for the same price (about £500). What wen't wrong with these tubes !?!?. It seems to happen to so many people. It's shocking to think that B&O would go ahead and sell a product that was only ever going to last for several years. It undermines all the effort they go to in product testing - what's the point if it will only last 3 years anyway. Did the company ever give an explanation?
  • 05-21-2007 5:21 PM In reply to

Thanks for the great info, I wasn't actually considering doing the work myself, just tring to save a few $'s on the cost of the tube itself. I guess the next question is , where do I go to find out which Philips tube it is?

• 05-22-2007 2:23 AM In reply to

I am not sure you will be saving yourself very much money buy trying to buy a philips tube yourself, the tube itself will be cheaper to buy, but consider other points:-

There are two different tubes used in this AVANT  28 which are B&O # 8200113 and for the Mark II is 8200126

The tubes which you get from B&O normally come pre-configured with scanning coils which match the tube. The scanning coils fit over the neck of the tube.

If you are not doing the work yourself, then you must find someone who is able to complete the job if it is not a B&O trained engineer. Unless you actually know someone, then this will be an additional cost.

Have you actually got a quote for a tube replacement from B&O ? was your $1200 from B&O ?

Regards Keith....

• 05-22-2007 3:30 AM In reply to

Yes, the quote was from B&O. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to dig deep and pay the $$'s. At least I will know it'll be working 100% then.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)